U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 4,097,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Run with it, folks.
What choice do we have but to trust them? They are the ones who are suppose to be taking care of the public, protecting us, making sure we are safe but yet somehow, I am not so sure that we have enough of them available when we need them. I think one big problem is that Police Officers don't make a big amount of money for what they are required to do. My niece wants to get into the Forensic field but has decided to be a Police Officer first then try to make detective then go from there to Forensics. She is a smart girl, has been a 4.0 all 4 years of college where she did go for Forensics but I fear that she will not make good money until she does make detective...I am scared to think of her carrying a gun and chasing bad guys...good Lord.

The bigger issue at hand here is how far are we willing to go to protect ourselves if there are no Police officers available to do it for us? Personally, I won't have a gun in the house, I do have a Pit Bull but she loves EVERYONE so so much for the dog theory.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
"

There are over 700,000 members of law enforcement (used to be called peace officers) in America. Can you imagine a city in this country with 700,000 people and no crime?
There are 1,233 Federal Court Judges in the USA. There are towns that small where people lock their doors at night.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:46 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
I think cops are great. Sure, I trust them as much as I trust any human being, which isn't much, but certainly no less just because they wear a badge.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
anybody or anything that follows orders without question is a threat.
its not the puppet its the puppeteer that needs watching.
as a threat cops are nothing compared to gang bangers.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,486,058 times
Quote:
Think about all the buliies you knew in school. What career did they seem ideally suited for?
Most of the bullies I went to school with are prison guards, better benefits, get to sit on their butts all day, and better security. Didn't think it was out of the ordinary really.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
The ACLU has never, in a single instance that I know of, lost sight of its ONLY relevant issue---the Civil Liberties of the American people. Every case they have ever taken (including defending Rush Limbaugh), whatever the particulars of the specific case they are addressing, they concern themselves only with the constitutional rights of litigants.
Sorry..I'm just a little bitter, I guess. The 'final straw' came about 6 years ago at a High School graduation ceremony. Set to be held in a huge, spacious. 'state-of-the-art' auditorium near the school, the venue was changed at the last moment, to an exposed outdoor amphiteatre on a sunny hillside four miles away, a two-block hike uphill from the nearest parking, in 105 degree heat. As I sat there amid the wailing infants and swooning elderly grandparents, and the wheelchair-bound, listening to one sweaty speaker after another shout over the nearby freeway noise, somehow it was hard to "thank" the ACLU for moving all 1700 of us out of that air-conditioned auditorium to this grassy hillside.

It seems TWO parents had objected to the auditorium...it was owned by a church. There was no 'church paraphenalia', no outward signs of 'evangelizing' us on this, a weekday..just the knowledge that this was 'church property' was enough. These parents called the ACLU, the ACLU 'leaned' on the school administration, and before we knew it, we were 'saved', and our constitutional right NOT to sit on church property was upheld....(along with our right to sweat our fannies off, and to fan ourselves with our programs).

Thanks, ACLU, for a job well done. I feel 'freer' now.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think there are a great number of good cops, who else would get shot at with low pay but people who in general want to serve and protect. However, there are bad cops like there are jerks in every profession. The problem is that you never know who is pulling up in the car, so I usually treat the situation and the officer with a reserved attitude and politeness.
There are two reasons why one would want to be a cop. One is honorable, to serve and protect and that sense of duty. I'm sure there are many who fit this bill. How well they fare down the line is dependent on how life goes I suppose. But if that inspiration wears down then what?

The other side are the thrill seekers and the control freaks. I know modern police forces try to keep them out but no test can be absolute. And if a cop was on the border when that moment comes when the opportunity comes to slip into that mode all the efforts are nil.

Modern police are no longer the nice policeman walking the beat. In major cities they have a much more military base than they had. Sadly, because they have to. Re the whole situation with officers having semi automatic rifles available because the street types have that and more.

The whole problem is the whole judicial system. Its a misnomer that anyone is assumed innocent. The police are allowed to lie and coerce to get people to "cooperate", and the tiny sliver of cases that go to trial are outnumbered by the ones set up by deals. Simple logistics, since we don't have enough courts or time or money for anything else. But from the point of view of the defendent who isn't guilty but has this cloud hung over them that says they can't win its a process of being worn down, and from the pov of the police, when do they say doesn't matter what they do.

Sad when the citizens mostly don't trust the police because they can't know who is in that uniform, and the mindset of the job tells the police that everyone out there is a potential lier and danger and eventually the enemy.

Slippery slope anyone?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:18 PM

239 posts, read 309,111 times
Some, but for the most part.....NO

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Here's why I don't trust a cop. Not so much a trust issue, but here's why I fear the police. more than I fear a criminal.

A criminal can take my TV, my old car, the change in my pocket, and even give me a black eye.

A cop can deprive me days or years of my life, my liberty, my home, my family, my career, my reputation, my dignity, my self-esteem, and every cent I can borrow for the rest of my life, just by requiring me to prove my innocence against his word on a complaint sheet, while he gets paid overtime to show up in court and testify against me.

Of course, there are criminals who, through something ike identity theft, can deprive me of all that, too, but if you phone 911 and say my identity has been stolen, they will say "We don't handle that".

Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,113,598 times
I have to speak up here. One of my best friends is a police chief, and I love him and would trust him with my wallet, my kids, my life. Some of my best friends are cops; and are the most decent guys I have ever met. Weird senses of humor, to be sure; mischievous and funny, kind to everyone - and pure HELL on real criminals. They truly do see their purpose in life as 'to serve and protect' the innocent and abused. My neighbor is a danged decent cop; his wife is a schoolteacher, and they raised an autistic child with their own children to be the sweetest, funniest, and happiest teenager you'd ever want to meet.

OTOH, I have known and worked with some crooked cops; cops who sold the dope they confiscated, cops who would lie, cheat, and steal - we even had a cop steal our identities and ruin our credit. One carried two AK-47s on the front seat of his private vehicle and went cruising around 'bad' neighborhoods on his nights off, seeing who he could jack up and intimidate. Some are wife and child abusers, some think that the badge gives them the power to sexually assault women or kick in peoples' doors illegally to intimidate them.

Cops are like everyone else - some are in that profession because of what they can do FOR others, while others are in that position because of what they can do TO others. Saints and devils abound in every profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates