Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times

Advertisements

I know the President has declared a National Emergency on this. My daughter, who works as a NYC teacher, has told me they are talking about shutting down the schools because of the numerous outbreaks there. She is very worried about it.

With such a large Mexican population in Florida why aren't there any reported cases here? I work in the schools with very low functioning (feeding and diapers) kids, most of whom are Mexican/Americans, but we use Universal Precautions all the time with them. How much of a concern should there be in this state given its demographics?

Last edited by 2goldens; 04-30-2009 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Moved from Florida forum to Great Debates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,343 times
There is actually a pretty small Mexican population in Florida. It is growing, but most Latinos in Florida are from Puerto Rico, Cuba, South America, or the Dominican Republic.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Well considering that almost all of the US cases involved are Americans who previously travelled to Mexico City they would be more of a concern instead of young Mexican Americans that you deal with on a daily basis.
Also I was unaware that Florida had a large Mexican population compared to the Cubans and Puerto Ricans which vastly out number them in the state.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default Where I live

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well considering that almost all of the US cases involved are Americans who previously travelled to Mexico City they would be more of a concern instead of young Mexican Americans that you deal with on a daily basis.
Also I was unaware that Florida had a large Mexican population compared to the Cubans and Puerto Ricans which vastly out number them in the state.
They are mostly Mexican, many of whom are from migrant farm worker families in Immokalee.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,744,304 times
I expect the flu to show up here in a couple of weeks. It may already be here and we do not know it. Many are without health insurance and should spread as many germs as possible trying to work their low wage jobs.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
This state has always been a disease vector heaven because of how much travel in and out of the state there is every day. How many people will really postpone a vacation because they have mild symptoms of illness, and just figure they'll muddle through on something like Immodium or Theraflu (depending on symptoms)? And thus they spread germs everywhere they go before they get seriously sick enough to stay in their hotel rooms.

Add in constant travel in and out of South America and all the different places the military go, and this state is the point of entry for a lot of illnesses. I can remember a couple bad local bugs in recent years that we roughly traced back to military folks coming back from Italy and Uzbekistan, and we had a case of SARS in one of the local elementary schools a while back.

So if we're going to get hit by the bug, we're already positioned to get well and truly hit by it. There are probably a bunch of affluent Mexico City families already exposed and on the way because they figured that the problems at home were a good excuse to take everyone to Disneyworld for a couple of weeks.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

With such a large Mexican population in Florida why aren't there any reported cases here?
Maybe because they haven't been to Mexico in a while.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,315 times
Most if not all the cases here in the U.S. has been to Americans, not Mexicans. So it's not the Mexicans you need to be worried about really. Americans travel to Mexico just as much as Mexicans do. Either way, I really think the media's making this out to be a much bigger deal than it is.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
The way I remember it is our government failed to identify the source to the public as of last Friday. THEN when the EU issued a travel warning AGAINST COMING HERE AND MEXICO, they (the EU) divulged that patient zero was in Mexico.

I'm quite sure that the government is not going to let a swine flu epidemic interfere with their plans for next years census. Remember there's a little plan on the table for a 30 million person amnesty. INDONESIA is doing thermal body scans for fevers on incoming passengers. We are not even doing anything different at our own border. Notice how they are so ADVANCED compared to us over in Indonesia.

Napolitano said this morning once it's here, there's no reason to do anything extra about incoming people. I have no emoticon for that.

Today Spain reported a case so it's creeping out of the Northern Hemisphere.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,594 times
The only school closed in NYC is a private school in Queens. Closed today and tomorrow. Being of Mexican heritage does not mean you are more susceptible to swine flu, nor are Hispanics more likely to carry it than anyone else. The post suggesting so reeks of racism. People who have recently traveled to Mexico are asked to report any flu symptoms. There is one confirmed case in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates