U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,474,428 times

Advertisements

The dogs and the trees really have nothing to do with each other. Did you make up the dog story to try to prove your point about the trees? If not, talk with the other 4 or 5 neighbors affected by the dogs barking and all go to the police about the noise. If it doesn't bother anybody but you, my guess is that you're out of luck there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,907,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
This is off-topic, but I got to thinking since this is gun safety day.

Ever had an accident while cleaning your rifle? You know, and accidental discharge? You really have to be careful - its easy to forget a chambered round. All kinds of bad things could happen. If you are not careful you could hit a neighbor's pet. Be careful when cleaning those rifles!
Do you think the same thing would work with noisy neighbors? (:>o)

Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Barking is what dogs do when they are abused by their owner. It is the nature of dogs to desire certain physical, environmental and social amenities. Like babies crying, dogs bark when they are deprived of what it is their nature to want or need.

Go go a veterinary website and look up the page that lists treatments and symptoms for the various poisons that dogs are susceptible to. Interestingly, dogs and humanbs react very differently to some common substances.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,907,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Barking is what dogs do when they are abused by their owner. It is the nature of dogs to desire certain physical, environmental and social amenities. Like babies crying, dogs bark when they are deprived of what it is their nature to want or need.

Go go a veterinary website and look up the page that lists treatments and symptoms for the various poisons that dogs are susceptible to. Interestingly, dogs and humanbs react very differently to some common substances.
"Barking is what dogs do when they are abused by their owner."

Mine were barking because someone was breaking into my truck....

Same for my neighbor, that's why his were barking, because someone was breaking into his SUV.

Neither of us abuse our dogs...Mine have passed on from old age..

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM

3,833 posts, read 6,199,310 times
Most townships now have noise ordinances that cover many topics including barking dogs. Generally a dog barking is consider a nuisance when it barks for more than ten minutes in a given hour. In many cases the Animal Control agent will verify the complaint in person. If they find the complaint to be actual they will issue a warning letter and if that fails they will turn the matter over to the sheriff's department for enforcement.

If your township has no laws in place then you may want to try an anti-barking device if you are in range. The problem is that that the dog or dogs will simply go to the opposite side of their owners property and continue to bark.

Yes dogs bark, but that that bark 24/7 are nothing more than a nuisance and serve no other purpose. A dog or dogs serving as watch dogs should bark at actual threats to the property they are watching and not bark at squirrel, birds, leaves falling, a car driving by, or barking just to hear themselves bark. This is not the fault of the dog, but the fault of an irresponsible dog owners that don't understand or care about their dogs, not to mention an utter disregard for their neighbors.

Try your township first and if you don't get satisfaction then I suggest talking with an attorney.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"Barking is what dogs do when they are abused by their owner."

Mine were barking because someone was breaking into my truck....

Same for my neighbor, that's why his were barking, because someone was breaking into his SUV.

Neither of us abuse our dogs...Mine have passed on from old age..
Dogs, of course, can be trained to bark at other times.

It is easy to train dogs to bark when something is amiss.

If your dogs barked 24/7, how would you have known that somebody was breaking into your SUV? How would you know it was time to get up in the morning if your alarm clock rang constantly?

You really don't see the difference, do you?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM

493 posts, read 497,450 times
There are things you can do. HOA CC&R's would be the first stop. Then proabably city ordinances, then I suppose small claims court. Don't do anything to the dog or the dog's owner obviously, or you're automatically the villian. Blatantly inconsiderate people like this can make your blood boil, but dealing with them requires restraint and tact.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM

583 posts, read 1,116,479 times
That is one of the reasons I moved to the city. Barking dogs used to drive me nuts when I lived in one of the master planned burbs with houses close enough to to hear the barking coming from all directions
One of the neighbors got a new dog and it would start barking like crazy at 4 in the morning every day. I guess the neighbor would have a very early shift and leave the poor creature by itself in the backyard so that it doesn't make a mess in the house. It sounded like it was a puppy, but I hated to be woken up every day at 4 am, luckily we moved.

Now, I live in the place where people keep their dogs inside and take them to the park. The backyards are too small around here to keep the dogs there all day and the city is very strict about noise disturbances

On another note, one of my friends who has a rather large backyard loved to let his dog run around outside all day. The dog barked all day and his neighbors were infuriated. Their patience finally ran out and they came up to my friend telling him that if he lets his dog outside, something bad might just happen to it, like it may eat something wrong .. Basically, they were threatening him to poison the dog or drug it (apparently a very common thing to do he told me). The threat worked, my friend realized that the neighbors were serious enough and didn't want to jeopardize his pet's life and health. He now doesn't let his dog out in the yard unsupervised, which significantly reduced the barking for his neighbors. When my friend told me the story, he was fuming, feeling all righteous about being able to let his dog 'roam free' in the backyard, after all he didn't pay all this money to get a larger suburban backyard without the 'entitlement' to do what he wanted. I suggested he moves to the country

Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM

5,077 posts, read 12,738,071 times
I have a neighbor that lives up the road from me whos dog barks non stop, luckily for me I live down the street so I only hear it really early in the morning in one of my rooms and if everything outside is really quiet.
I can't imagine being one of his neighbors though! How annoying!
I would definitely complain to the local police, every town, city, township,etc has ordinances for noise control, etc... If you have already done the right thing by contacting the owners directly and were basically blown off, I'd contact my local police and complain. I'd complain and complain until something was done.

The best case scenario is that they will do something about the noise even possibly find that the dogs are being mistreated. Who knows. I have a large lab and I never just leave him outside, unless I'm out there with him. Dogs are social, I hate it when some people just tie them up and leave them as outside animals. ugh...

Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM

493 posts, read 497,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT13 View Post
That is one of the reasons I moved to the city. Barking dogs used to drive me nuts when I lived in one of the master planned burbs with houses close enough to to hear the barking coming from all directions
One of the neighbors got a new dog and it would start barking like crazy at 4 in the morning every day. I guess the neighbor would have a very early shift and leave the poor creature by itself in the backyard so that it doesn't make a mess in the house. It sounded like it was a puppy, but I hated to be woken up every day at 4 am, luckily we moved.

Now, I live in the place where people keep their dogs inside and take them to the park. The backyards are too small around here to keep the dogs there all day and the city is very strict about noise disturbances

On another note, one of my friends who has a rather large backyard loved to let his dog run around outside all day. The dog barked all day and his neighbors were infuriated. Their patience finally ran out and they came up to my friend telling him that if he lets his dog outside, something bad might just happen to it, like it may eat something wrong .. Basically, they were threatening him to poison the dog or drug it (apparently a very common thing to do he told me). The threat worked, my friend realized that the neighbors were serious enough and didn't want to jeopardize his pet's life and health. He now doesn't let his dog out in the yard unsupervised, which significantly reduced the barking for his neighbors. When my friend told me the story, he was fuming, feeling all righteous about being able to let his dog 'roam free' in the backyard, after all he didn't pay all this money to get a larger suburban backyard without the 'entitlement' to do what he wanted. I suggested he moves to the country
A good suggestion. Tell him he can't land helicopters or set up a rifle range just because he has a big fenced in backyard in suburbia either. Same difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or