U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 01:09 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,041,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmensch View Post
eeeee: A few questions:

1. What are your views on contraception?
i oppose contraception.

2. Whose definition is "a human embryo from the moment of conception is exactly the same genetically as the adult human being it will become (barring premature death) except in stage of development. There is no other difference. Period. " that you use in your op?
mine. That's why it's brilliant.
3. What about euthanasia if the person has signed a living will?
i'm not for euthanasia.

4. Isn't capital punishment wrong assuming you can not guarantee that everyone who dies is guilty? If abortion should have "no ifs ands or buts" shouldn't capital punishment too
i agree unless it's clear that execution will save lives as in the case of saddam hussein.
!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
We prevent unwanted pregnancy through the teaching of moral values and behavior. Ask AIDS-ridden Africa how well teaching promiscuity and distributing millions of condoms have worked.
That is huey. If the teaching of moral values creates any difference, then why do christians have higher divorce rates than athiests? And, even more importantly, why do people who attend church more often suport the use of torture. As a matter of fact, the more people go to church, the more they are likely to support the use of torture. The church group LEAST likely to support torture are Lutherans. "Only" 70% of Lutherans refuse to condemn torture.

So, don't give me that balony about "teaching morals." Dealing with the realities of the "real" world is what is needed. Pragmatism may irritate the pro-lifers--but "teaching morals" via church, school, or community is a waste of time. Morals must be taught by mom and dad if they are to have any effect.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,041,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Human life starts at conception, with the embryo. This is one of the main reasons I am against abortion.
Congratulations. You are one of the few people in here who's had the courage to say this.

A raise in reputation for you!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:23 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,971,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
We prevent unwanted pregnancy through the teaching of moral values and behavior.

like that works

Ask AIDS-ridden Africa how well teaching promiscuity and distributing millions of condoms have worked.
the thinking behind this sentence is the most vile and ignorant things I have read in a long, long time! you are closed, cold, bigoted and more, worse than that you enjoy and relish your bigotry! wondering just what is good and decent about you? do you have empathy for anyone?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the thinking behind this sentence is the most vile and ignorant things I have read in a long, long time! you are closed, cold, bigoted and more, worse than that you enjoy and relish your bigotry! wondering just what is good and decent about you? do you have empathy for anyone?
Personal attacks do not improve the quality of debate. Keep it respectful.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Personal attacks do not improve the quality of debate. Keep it respectful.
was that sentence respectful?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
was that sentence respectful?
Yes. I didn't slam anyone.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM

the "big E" has been called worse many many times and really does not care what anyone thinks and has said as much. the statement made was vile, it was ignorant. this persona of E, IS cold and bigoted. does enjoy baiting others. I truly do wonder what and where the empathy is?

I rarely slam anyone but a reminder is always nice

Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
the "big E" has been called worse many many times and really does not care what anyone thinks and has said as much. the statement made was vile, it was ignorant. this persona of E, IS cold and bigoted. does enjoy baiting others. I truly do wonder what and where the empathy is?

I rarely slam anyone but a reminder is always nice
Kool!!!! Sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,543,187 times
It would appear that for some people, empathy must be learned "the hard way". Although I can wish no harm and no pain on any sentient being, I can wish "enlightenment". . . and sometimes that can only be achieved, for ALL OF US, by experiencing the end result of our thoughts, actions, and deeply held beliefs. I believe that the world (and when I say world, I mean the whole of everything, with or without a "god") is, ultimately, a just place, that we are here to experience, and learn and grow in understanding and compassion, and that we will. . . ALL of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates