U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,184,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
No wonder it doesn't make sense to you, mate. You don't know what Plan B is. Get educated, then come back.
bwahaha!!

Suuure! I'll go learn all about the inner workings of your tiny mind where exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM

6,111 posts, read 4,864,800 times
Quote:
I've been asked to repeat this several times. Here it is. This simple definition should effectively end the abortion debate for all time. But it won't, because the pro-abortion side isn't interested in facts or logic.

Here it is. Short. Simple. Ironclad.

A human embryo from the moment of conception is exactly the same genetically as the adult human being it will become (barring premature death) except in stage of development. There is no other difference. Period.

This definition has ended many abortion arguments. Nobody has ever been able to dispute or find an exception that invalidates any part of it.

I don't accept your definition of human life because genetic basis that a fetus is fully human because he has the same genes as a adult is also true of an adult's corpse. We are on the verge of being able to take the DNA from a dead person and create an exact living copy of that person. In effect the DNA of a person might live indefinately. Are you arguing an ethical basis or a religious basis for cloning? I think that a better basis for whether a human being exists is consciousness. A fertilized egg doesn't have this property and infact the brain has to develop substantially to meet the medical definition of consciousness. Some religions don't consider a baby to have life until it is actually born and demonstrates life. Now would you give last rites to a still born baby because it is genetically complete as you or I.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:00 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I didn't see her say that anywhere, what I saw was where she said you were using the word incorrectly. I'm not ignoring your reply to me, btw, I just don't have time to properly respond right now, correcting your numerous errors takes time lol, I'll do it tomorrow.
Well, now let's see if we can't find the posts. OK?

Originally Posted by Eeeee22895
I'm empathetic with everyone who deserves my empathy. I start with the most defenseless and go from there. The ones I have the least empathy for are those who would sacrfice others for their own selfishness.

FormerCaliforniaGirl said:
By the way, it's not "empathetic". It's "empathic". There's no such word as "empathetic". Get a dictionary.

Originally Posted by Eeeee22895
It can be either one, dear. Get a dictionary.

FormerCaliforniaGirl said:
No, it can't. Get a dictionary.

Does that help jog your memory a bit, Kaye?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 PM

412 posts, read 813,196 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, you are incorrect. The skin cell still has to be fused with the woman's mitochondrial DNA which is necessary to reprogram the skin cell back to an embryo.

So there has to be a DNA transformation that takes place to change a skin cell to an embryo.

My definition is still intact. I have to check, but I believe this is my fifth straight debate victory in four days.

So, use a woman's skin cells and her own mtDNA. What does DNA transformation have to do with anything?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I don't accept your definition of human life because genetic basis that a fetus is fully human because he has the same genes as a adult is also true of an adult's corpse. We are on the verge of being able to take the DNA from a dead person and create an exact living copy of that person. In effect the DNA of a person might live indefinately. Are you arguing an ethical basis or a religious basis for cloning? I think that a better basis for whether a human being exists is consciousness. A fertilized egg doesn't have this property and infact the brain has to develop substantially to meet the medical definition of consciousness. Some religions don't consider a baby to have life until it is actually born and demonstrates life. Now would you give last rites to a still born baby because it is genetically complete as you or I.
Ooops. You missed it. I said "living". Definition is still valid.
"Consciousness" is nebulous and imprecise. It is also arbitrary. And if you're going to go that way, you could pick any number of other important developmental markers that signify "life". To be both consistent and scientific, you find the earliest moment when the organism is a living human, and that is at conception.

I really don't see why this is so hard....unless, of course you have reasons for not wanting to see it.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Hey eeeeeeeeeeeee, You came back....but you are still refusing to answer the question....

Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Hey eeeeeeeeeeeee, You came back....but you are still refusing to answer the question....
\Since I know you've forgotten, the question was in response to your assertion that torture us accepable. The question was, "At what age is a child too old to be tortured?"

Don't be a coward--answer the question.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,975,028 times
and don't forget to tell us what you have empathy for while you are at it

Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
\Since I know you've forgotten, the question was in response to your assertion that torture us accepable. The question was, "At what age is a child too old to be tortured?"

Don't be a coward--answer the question.
I'll answer your question as soon as you answer the one I asked first. This was right before you got busted on your false claim aboiut the Iraq death toll.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Quote:
Ah, my number one favorite abortion argument:

"I personally oppose abortion, but if others want an abortion, who are you to interfere? If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one, but if somebody else chooses to exercise her personal choice, mind your own business."

Now let's substitute with a less violent action and see if how you feel about a hands-off attitude:

"I personally oppose rape, but if others want to rape, who are you to interfere? If you don't believe in rape, don't commit it, but if somebody else chooses to exercise his personal choice to rape, mind your own business.

You have serious issues if you equate abortion & rape. But those issues are readily apparent in your posts anyway.

How can rape be less violent than anything, let alone voluntary abortion?
Is masturbation wrong? Is a miscarriage manslaughter? Is there a crime associated with still birth?

You cannot equate a jumbled bunch of cells with a living thinking human being & expect to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates