U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,041,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
A 2 day old child is no longer 'leeching' off of it's mother. A 2 day old can live off of the father...the father can feed it formula...and embryo can not survive outside of the womb or without the mother hosting it inside of her body. I think it is pretty cut and dry.
Preemies can go months outside the womb. A fetus doesn't need to live off it's mother at all. Ever heard of surrogates? So the 'parasite' argument just got flushed. Ooops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Well, since pro-lifers are going to argue that all life is sacred, just note that by ejaculating into a woman, you've basically wiped out whole civilizations. A fertile male's semen contains 50 to 500 million sperm. The ones who don't reach the egg (and sometimes, none of them do) die.
Sperm cells aren't human beings.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
And social conservatives claim to be pro-life, but for the death penalty. Is a criminal (guilty or innocent) not a living thing?
I oppose the death penalty. But those who support it have the argument of societal self-defense. Abortion folks have NO justification for their baby-slaughter.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,079,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Sperm cells aren't human beings.
They're still living. And they're potential humans.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Quote:
I oppose the death penalty. But those who support it have the argument of societal self-defense. Abortion folks have NO justification for their baby-slaughter.
AGAIN, please tell me how a mother sending her child off to war only to get killed is any better than abortion?

I ask this because I used to know a woman who was a staunch anti-abortion zealot. She devoted much of her life to stopping abortion.

But she bragged about her son in Iraq and how proud she was of him and how she encouraged him to be in the military. She felt that all men should spend time in the military...it made them better people.

Her son died in battle last year. To me, that's no better than aborting him. She encouraged him to go....told him it made her proud.

This wonderful man who died was my friend. He was quite a bit younger than I, and I used to babysit him when he was little. But we were always close. He was a great person. I never wanted him to join the military, but his parents were so insistent. Guess they were willing to sacrifice him. Not sure why though.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
AGAIN, please tell me how a mother sending her child off to war only to get killed is any better than abortion?

I ask this because I used to know a woman who was a staunch anti-abortion zealot. She devoted much of her life to stopping abortion.

But she bragged about her son in Iraq and how proud she was of him and how she encouraged him to be in the military. She felt that all men should spend time in the military...it made them better people.

Her son died in battle last year. To me, that's no better than aborting him. She encouraged him to go....told him it made her proud.

This wonderful man who died was my friend. He was quite a bit younger than I, and I used to babysit him when he was little. But we were always close. He was a great person. I never wanted him to join the military, but his parents were so insistent. Guess they were willing to sacrifice him. Not sure why though.
As I explained in another thread, America fights wars to prevent hundreds of thousands of future deaths. Terrorists pledged to kill thousands even millions more after 9-11. President Bush fought the war on terror to prevent that from happening. He was successful. We owe him a lot.

Now, tell us how many American lives were saved by the senseless savage killings of a million babies a year via abortion. That's right. NONE.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Quote:
As I explained in another thread, America fights wars to prevent hundreds of thousands of future deaths. Terrorists pledged to kill thousands even millions more after 9-11. President Bush fought the war on terror to prevent that from happening. He was successful. We owe him a lot.

Now, tell us how many American lives were saved by the senseless savage killings of a million babies a year via abortion. That's right. NONE.
As I said in another forum, HOW DO YOU KNOW that none of the fetuses aborted wouldn't have gone on to be murderers?

Every single murderer, rapist, pedophile and whatever other horrors of society you can think of....ALL STARTED OUT AS FETUSES.

I can think of a lot of people in history that the world would have been a lot better off if they'd been aborted.

And America doesn't fight all wars to protect its citizens from attack. Most wars America has fought in since 1985 have been to protect our interest in foreign oil.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
An embryo can not sustain life on it's own. An adult can.
So by that reasoning, we as human beings have no right to live because we cannot sustain ourselves for years after birth. And in this instance, we are talking about embryos. Sustaining life on your own when you are in that stage of development is completely impossible. This line of thinking leads to possible suggestions such as the relation of a human fetus to a virus. Both are sembient lifeforms, totally reliant on a host to live. Difference is, we aren't talking about a virus here. We are talking about human embryos which will become human beings if proper care and love are provided by the host.

Also, the child did not float in unexpectedly like a virus. A physical act took place which always entails the possibility of "infection" So there is a different level of responsibility where pregnancy is concerned and should not be handled as if it is just another infection. It is the beginning of a human life, and to take it without giving it a chance to make it to the point where it can sustain itself is simply wrong. The right to live is not something to be dictated by human law because the process has nothing to do with man's laws. Nature regulates life, not man.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,444,336 times
Quote:
Preemies can go months outside the womb. A fetus doesn't need to live off it's mother at all. Ever heard of surrogates? So the 'parasite' argument just got flushed. Ooops.
Embryo and fetus ARE NOT THE SAME THING. We are discussing embryoes...as in the title. Embryoes are a cluster of cells that can not live outside of the womb. Whomever owns the womb is irrelevant.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,444,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
So by that reasoning, we as human beings have no right to live because we cannot sustain ourselves for years after birth. And in this instance, we are talking about embryos. Sustaining life on your own when you are in that stage of development is completely impossible. This line of thinking leads to possible suggestions such as the relation of a human fetus to a virus. Both are sembient lifeforms, totally reliant on a host to live. Difference is, we aren't talking about a virus here. We are talking about human embryos which will become human beings if proper care and love are provided by the host.

Also, the child did not float in unexpectedly like a virus. A physical act took place which always entails the possibility of "infection" So there is a different level of responsibility where pregnancy is concerned and should not be handled as if it is just another infection. It is the beginning of a human life, and to take it without giving it a chance to make it to the point where it can sustain itself is simply wrong. The right to live is not something to be dictated by human law because the process has nothing to do with man's laws. Nature regulates life, not man.
This is simply your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates