U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,747,928 times
Reputation: 966

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Are you still smarting from getting busted last night claiming "empathetic" isn't a word? LOL.
Okay, so you're back to that.

The word empathetic is not a proper form of the word empathy. It was added to some dictionaries in response to frequent improper usage.

Empathic is to empathy as sympathetic is to sympathy. Although the root words seem similar, the construction of the adjective differs.

Empathetic is the bastardized version of empathy.

I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. The point is, educated people (I have a B.A. in English) say "empathic"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,985,408 times
Reputation: 11120
again you have not answered the question for what do you have empathy for? all you do is come up with another question. because perhaps you have no empathy. instead of answering the question you take a cowards way out by throwing down a smoke screen in the form of another question. you have had several days to come up with something and yet you can't or you would have by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 PM
 
985 posts, read 2,302,023 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I'm tired of doing homework for LWers. I went against my better judgment and tried that yesterday. Here's what happens when you do that: 1) they question the source. Unless it's from some leftwing MSM source, it's invalid. 2) They divert the topic into a side issue and demand a link for that. The end result in getting links for lazy leftwingers is they're never satisfied and you end up chasing your tail.

Hey. That's just what you did when I answered your question "What are you doing about all those kids who weren't aborted?" I replied that I've adopted four. And of course, that wasn't good enough for you. Why didn't I adopt more? I could adopt 1000 and it wouldn't be good enough. Then it would be "Well, how many crack babies did you adopt?"

The point remains. You liberals want conservatives to do all the heavy lifting while you sit on your brains, do nothing while sniping at the doers.
No, 4 kids is not good enough when you (and all pro-lifers) are contributing to the problem by trying to make abortion illegal. Like I said, you are the ones contributing to the problem, so it's your burden to fix it. When all of you pro-lifers can find homes for every last unwanted child then you can cry about abortion. Why you put the life of a fetus above a fully grown and self aware woman is beyond me. Most abortions are done before the fetus can probably feel pain, and a fetus is not even self aware until birth. Eeeeeee, are all of your children adopted?

Links:
JAMA -- Abstract: Fetal Pain: A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of the Evidence, August 24/31, 2005, Lee et al. 294 (8): 947

http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cogn...-awareness.pdf


I don't know why I'm bothering to put links, you'll just claim they're no good. Oh and you've done the same thing regarding links, claiming they are biased sources. Of course, any link you post could never be biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,622 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Want me to type it s-l-o-w-e-r for you?

It's not scraping out and vacuuming "the baby" (although I love how quickly you jumped from embryo to baby in your posts. ), it's scraping and vacuuming the uterine lining that the EMBRYO (not a baby) is attached to. Correctly performed I see no reason that the EMBRYO would suffer anymore than it would should the woman miscarry. (You wanna start hauling those women off to pergatory now?)
Oh, you're just scraping out the lining. So pain is the only threshold that matters now. How does that work for a 16-week-old fetus, mate? You know, the one with little fingers? The ones that writhe at a pin prick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,622 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
No, 4 kids is not good enough when you (and all pro-lifers) are contributing to the problem by trying to make abortion illegal. Like I said, you are the ones contributing to the problem, so it's your burden to fix it.

What about the leftwingers who espouse the idea that nobody has any right to tell teenagers to abstain? Do they bear any of the burden for unwanted children? What about the libs who keep people trapped in a cycle of dependency by replacing the father figure with Uncle Sam? Any onus there?

But what you're telling me is we have to do all the work while you don't have to do anything, because you want to kill the kids in advance? Great system you people have.

When all of you pro-lifers can find homes for every last unwanted child then you can cry about abortion.

Why can't we just kill them off after they've been born? It's all the same to you, isn't it? What's a few weeks' difference?

Why you put the life of a fetus above a fully grown and self aware woman is beyond me.

Oh, I wasn't aware the choice was the life of the baby and the life of a woman. I thought the issue was the child's life vs. selfish convenient lifestyle maintenance of the woman.

Most abortions are done before the fetus can probably feel pain, and a fetus is not even self aware until birth.

That is so great how you can play God now, determining that feeling of pain is the indicator of the onset of life. Does that mean we can just anesthetize a child or person of any age, really, cut them open and pull their guts out?

Eeeeeee, are all of your children adopted?

Why? You want to come after them with your scraper and tongs?



Links:
JAMA -- Abstract: Fetal Pain: A Systematic Multidisciplinary Review of the Evidence, August 24/31, 2005, Lee et al. 294 (8): 947

http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cogn...-awareness.pdf


I don't know why I'm bothering to put links, you'll just claim they're no good. Oh and you've done the same thing regarding links, claiming they are biased sources. Of course, any link you post could never be biased.

I haven't figured out what the links have to do with abortion the right of a child to live.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,622 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes I think the Pill is fine...CONCEPTION hasn't even happened yet. Plus banning the Pill would result in TONS and TONS MORE actual abortions even if abortion was also banned.

As I've linked, the pill also prevents implantation of a fertilized rendering it an abortifacient. It may also prevent fertilization. The point is, you don't know. So therefore, you aren't allowed to play Russian roulette with human life.


Yes...I believe in embryonic stem cell research because it benefits the greater good. I do think, however, that the same stem cells can be obtained from umblicial cords and that is what I prefer to see.

Embryonic stem cell research kills living human beings. You can say those embryos have already been created. The problem with legalizing it means government money will go towards the pursuit, as Obama has already done. When that happens, more embryos will be created to get the grant money. As always, with libs and liberal "science", just follow the money. So with this liberal view of yours, you must be very happy with Obama.

And....my views against the war are BECAUSE I am conservative. The war created a nightmare of EXCESSIVE SPENDING...that seems very liberal to me.
It's been said that 9-11 cost the economy $2 trillion. How nice would it have been had Bill Clinton spent the money to respond to the Bin Laden terrorist threat beforehand? How expensive do you think a dirty bomb attack in midtown Manhattan would have been? What Bush spent was a drop in the bucket compared to that. It's unfortunate we have to wage a war against terrorism, but it's a necessary expense. You can pay now or pay a hundred times as much later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
 
9,912 posts, read 12,190,117 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Oh, you're just scraping out the lining. So pain is the only threshold that matters now. How does that work for a 16-week-old fetus, mate? You know, the one with little fingers? The ones that writhe at a pin prick?
Scraping the uterine lining is really no different to assisting a woman to menstruate. And that happens every month for most women. The very same procedure is used to assist women with a range of medical conditions.

Look you can attempt to demonize me, you can carry on about fingers, you can change your story from embryo to child, you can use emotive and insulting language, you can keep calling me mate all you like, it's not going to change the fact that ultimately I believe in quality of life over quantity, ie if you cannot provide your child a good quality life, do not have them. Plenty of people have kids that should not and they ultimately decide to bring kids into the world then fail to provide adequately for them and some people even actively abuse them. Some people give them over to folks like yourself and I gotta tell you, at this point in the debate, you're hardly the poster child for adoptive parents. I'd suggest that if you want to encourage more women to carry their children to term and give them up for adoption that you cool it with the rabid fundy crap because from where I'm sitting the thought of any child born from my loins ending up with someone like you is more than enough to convince me to make sure that never happens.

Oh and by the way, babies and children are subjected to worse pain than pin pricks on their fingers every single day in this world. I have no qualms at all about humanely terminating an embryo or a fetus, a relatively quick death, in contrast to some of the horrific suffering that goes on, is going on right now as I type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:34 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,043,622 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Okay, so you're back to that.

The word empathetic is not a proper form of the word empathy. It was added to some dictionaries in response to frequent improper usage.

Empathic is to empathy as sympathetic is to sympathy. Although the root words seem similar, the construction of the adjective differs.

Empathetic is the bastardized version of empathy.

I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. The point is, educated people (I have a B.A. in English) say "empathic"
I see you're trying to backtrack off your original ridiculous claim. Notice how you don't have a great deal of support, seeing how that's the indicator to you of whether you're right or not.

Bottom line. Empathetic is a word. It's in mine and everybody else's dictionary. That and most words appear in a dictionary because they are used. There is no such thing as "proper" or "improper". It's whatever is in use. If you go to the 1600+-page Merriam Webster's Third International Dictionary, they have an addenda for new words coming into use that they update every two or so years. In it, you'll find such words as "netiquette" and "qwerty". To "purists", these would be nonsense words. But that's how new words get into the dictionary.

Sigh. Seems I have to educate liberals on everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,985,408 times
Reputation: 11120
yep, we can see where your "education" got you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 PM
 
985 posts, read 2,302,023 times
Reputation: 722
I'll address your replies by numbering, since the posts will get to long if I copy everything. 1. Most liberals teach safe sex, which is shown to be far more effective than abstinence. I don't care if you tell teens to abstain so that doesn't really apply to me, just don't be surprised when they don't listen. 2. I'll say it again, you are the ones contributing to the problem while claiming to care about the best interest of the children, not me. When you fight for something you believe in, it is your burden, you have to bear the consequences. 3. Because they are nonparasitic, self aware, and do feel pain after birth. 4 &5. Basically, the same answer as three, Not just pain, the fact they are not self aware and are a parasite (you can twist it any way you want it but look at any dictionary and they fit the definition of a parasite). 5. It's not about convenience. Let's say a woman who makes very little money (meaning she can barely afford to feed herself) is raped and gets pregnant, how the heck do you expect her to give the child a good life. If someone doesn't want a child or is not financially able to take care of said child it's also in the child's best interest to not have to suffer through a crappy life. 6. See my answers to 4 & 5. 7. My point with the link is that a fetus is not the same as a fully grown person, and thus doesn't have the same rights. 8. Why would you have kids of your own when you claim to be so concerned about the welfare of other peoples children? You could've adopted another, that's another life you could've saved! And that's your agenda, is it not?

At the very least, can you not see that living and quality of life are two very different things. You may be saving those kids from abortion but you are not saving them from what will probably be a very disappointing life. Come up with a solution for how to give all of these kids, that would've been aborted, a good life and you will get many more people to listen. Sitting around ranting but not giving any solutions on a message board is really not doing much good. Really, there's no point in us sitting around bantering like this. I have to say, I do find you highly amusing, so thanks for that.

Note: I think my numbering got off track, eh but if your as smart as you claim you'll figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top