U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Eeeee- You said, "Abstinence has a 100% success rate."I beg to differ,Link: FOXNews.com - Abstinence Programs Not Effective, Study Finds - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

You asked- "Why are you keeping me up, Kaye?" Answer- I can't sleep and I find you rather amusing.
Abstinence works whenever it's used.

You must have a crush on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 AM
 
985 posts, read 2,300,990 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Abstinence works whenever it's used.

You must have a crush on me.
Oh yeah, I want you baaaaaaaaaaaad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 12:58 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Oh yeah, I want you baaaaaaaaaaaad
I knew it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 AM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,747,253 times
Reputation: 966
I have to admire the OPs tenacity. He just doesn't give up.

The issue here is that this is primarily a religion vs. science argument for the OP. His anti-abortion arguments are based on is religious beliefs, and he has no room for scientific thought. He THINKS that because he has "proven" life begins at conception, that this somehow supports his argument and adds scientific credibility to his viewpoints. But what he has failed to comprehend in this and his other thread, is that pro-choice people GET that an embryo is alive, we just don't necessarily equate it with a full-term baby which has been born.

Moving on a bit....the OP, being what almost appears to be a religious zealot, also cannot accept the harsh realities of life: Competition, survival of the fittest, biology, etc. Life is harsh, period. People live, people die. Humans, as individuals, have one primary agenda, and that is to survive at all costs, even if it means sacrificing the well-being, and even the lives of others. We prove this every single day.

All forms of life compete, and in this competition, the strongest and fittest survive. Weeds compete with flowers in our gardens, animals compete for the best places to feed and find water, and males will fight to the death for the privilege to breed. Viruses invade our bodies and compete for life, etc.

I wish that life was more rosy, and that there was no such thing as killing, disease, hurricanes, poverty, carnivorism, Bernie Madoff and Paris Hilton. But the fact is, the dark side of life will always be part of the human experience, and those of us who accept it, I think, are more content in life. Accepting the basic flaws and imperfections of humanity, rather than placing humans on some saint-like pedastal and expecting humans to behave in ways that are unnatural and go against nature, is just plain unrealistic.

Now before the OP goes off the deep end and twists my words into me saying I think we should just accept evil and corruption in our lives, that's NOT what I'm saying. I could try to take the time to explain it, but I think it would really be wasted on the OP. Most of the posters in this forum will completely get my point though.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 05-05-2009 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,088 posts, read 4,544,006 times
Reputation: 1598
Hi Former Cal Girl. . . Yes, your post above is a good one. E does seem to have a problem with "reality", which is why, I suppose, that he ridicules my question about all of the "natural" abortions that occur (I suppose that if you believe in God, as I am certain that he does, he just cannot deal with the fact that "natural" means "god's will". . . . . . . and he obviously cannot accept that everything is just as it should be, for our own development and learning, as sentient beings. . . . it is so much easier to set up Good / Evil situations, and (attempt to) clearly come down on the side of good, but it is not possible for those who think deeply about such issues to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
657 posts, read 1,381,402 times
Reputation: 414
Kudos to the few of you (you know who you are) that were able to remain ON topic and NOT be aggressive/attacking in your posts.. to the rest of you, it's a shame that most debates and/or disagreements are riddled with hostility, tangent arguments, and personal attacks. It's unfortunate at the very least, that people are unable to get their point across without being civil.

That said.. my opinion, cut and dry, is that by claiming the right to sexual intercourse, be it for pleasure or purposeful reproduction, you are also accepting the possibility that you might just produce a child. Sex makes babies, that's the basis of the act, period; regardless of any other purpose that might be held in higher consideration when making the CHOICE to participate in said acts. If you can't accept the fact that your actions might result in something undesirable, then, simply, DON'T DO IT. As for my opinion on conception via rape, the female involved should absolutely have a choice.

For me, it's not the argument of life or death.. It's a simple requirement of taking responsibility for the potential outcome of the choices YOU make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I have to admire the OPs tenacity. He just doesn't give up.

The issue here is that this is primarily a religion vs. science argument for the OP. His anti-abortion arguments are based on is religious beliefs, and he has no room for scientific thought. He THINKS that because he has "proven" life begins at conception, that this somehow supports his argument and adds scientific credibility to his viewpoints. But what he has failed to comprehend in this and his other thread, is that pro-choice people GET that an embryo is alive, we just don't necessarily equate it with a full-term baby which has been born.

Moving on a bit....the OP, being what almost appears to be a religious zealot, also cannot accept the harsh realities of life: Competition, survival of the fittest, biology, etc. Life is harsh, period. People live, people die. Humans, as individuals, have one primary agenda, and that is to survive at all costs, even if it means sacrificing the well-being, and even the lives of others. We prove this every single day.

All forms of life compete, and in this competition, the strongest and fittest survive. Weeds compete with flowers in our gardens, animals compete for the best places to feed and find water, and males will fight to the death for the privilege to breed. Viruses invade our bodies and compete for life, etc.

I wish that life was more rosy, and that there was no such thing as killing, disease, hurricanes, poverty, carnivorism, Bernie Madoff and Paris Hilton. But the fact is, the dark side of life will always be part of the human experience, and those of us who accept it, I think, are more content in life. Accepting the basic flaws and imperfections of humanity, rather than placing humans on some saint-like pedastal and expecting humans to behave in ways that are unnatural and go against nature, is just plain unrealistic.

Now before the OP goes off the deep end and twists my words into me saying I think we should just accept evil and corruption in our lives, that's NOT what I'm saying. I could try to take the time to explain it, but I think it would really be wasted on the OP. Most of the posters in this forum will completely get my point though.
What makes this post ludicrous is that I never use religion as a reason or justification for anything, yet I get called a 'religious zealot.' You say I have "no room for scientific thought" yet all my conclusions are based on science and reasoning, while you people mysteriously claim "just because an organism is living doesn't mean it's REALLY alive". Huh? This view has NO basis in science; it's just something you pulled out of a hat. It's pure hoodoo.

And the claptrap of justifying abortion as "just an inevitable part of the human condition"? No. That's what makes man unique. We have the ability for empathy, for fighting for those who can't compete. Isn't it ironic I'm having to preach this to liberals, the self-proclaimed holier-than-thou arbiters of compassion? No, we're not talking about handouts to deadbeats, not that kind of faux-compassion that is actually designed to secure votes. We are talking about defending those tiny human beings who truly don't have a voice.

Liberals always talk a good game, but fall short when it comes to giving and doing, themselves. I don't care if it's charitable contributions, treatment of children or help for the poor, this axiom never fails to hold. Liberals do none of the heavy lifting. All they do is blab their sanctimonious platitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Hi Former Cal Girl. . . Yes, your post above is a good one. E does seem to have a problem with "reality", which is why, I suppose, that he ridicules my question about all of the "natural" abortions that occur (I suppose that if you believe in God, as I am certain that he does, he just cannot deal with the fact that "natural" means "god's will". . . . . . . and he obviously cannot accept that everything is just as it should be, for our own development and learning, as sentient beings. . . . it is so much easier to set up Good / Evil situations, and (attempt to) clearly come down on the side of good, but it is not possible for those who think deeply about such issues to do so.
Oh here we go with the 'nuance' bit again. As if liberals are somehow deep thinkers able to see gray areas while others aren't. The reality is this hooey is all a smokescreen so they can justify do-as-you-please behavior. Sorry, people, some things either right or wrong. You either think it's OK to wantonly kill tiny humans. Or you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
657 posts, read 1,381,402 times
Reputation: 414
is this thread about human life, or a "smokescreen" for your political party bashings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Reputation: 976
eeeeeeeeeeeee I guess it's good that you are spending your time here. Otherwise you may be influincing young people.....god help us if that ever happened!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top