U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 PM

985 posts, read 2,300,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsolio View Post
Well the OP is an idiot... but anyways thank you for clarifying.
LOL, Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,704,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
You would think that the people who complain about "having too many handouts" would be OK with abortions... Funny how all of these poor mothers keep having kids and not aborting, getting more and more 'handouts' and the same people ***** becuase she keeps having kids and keeps getting handouts...So let me get this straight...against aborting embryoes, hate handouts given to poor mothers who have their babies?
Isn't it great? Force women to have children they aren't financially or emotionally ready to take care of, and then refuse them social services when they actually have the child.

Pro-Life zealots are so focused on protecting the life of an embryo that they ignore the type of life these unwanted children are forced into. It makes no sense. How about instead of "right to life" we focus on people's right to have a good life, and a fair life, and not just living for the sake of existing?

I think that all the Pro-Lifers should pool their money and pay for the babies that the impoverished can't provide for. Since life is so important to them and all, let them financially support it.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 909 times
There is no doubt, for me an embryo already has a life. No matter it is just 1-day old, it is still considered alive. And I agree. There's no difference between an embryo or an adult. Both has the right to live. So I don't think it is right to abort a human embryo.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Oh here we go with the 'nuance' bit again. As if liberals are somehow deep thinkers able to see gray areas while others aren't. The reality is this hooey is all a smokescreen so they can justify do-as-you-please behavior.
lol, as if calling yourself "Pro-Life" isn't nuanced. It implies that all people who aren't Pro-Life are pro death, which we aren't, at least I'm not. I'm pro-logic, where I want every baby who is born to be loved and well taken care of and that just won't happen if we force women to have children they're not ready for.

I'm also Pro-Life, as I think every human being is entitled to be given the best shot possible at a good life. You Eeeeeeeeeeeeee are not Pro-Life, you're pro-birth. You're anti-life because you couldn't give an F less what type of life the child has so long as it's born.

What's worse? Killing an embryo (which, by the way, the brain is exasperated so the organism is incapable of feeling pain) or forcing it to live an unhappy life with a mother who is 15 and can't provide for it in any way. hmmm. seems simple to me.

You're willing to trade 0 seconds of pain for a lifetime of pain just to satisfy some selfish need to force all human life into being born.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Jones View Post
There is no doubt, for me an embryo already has a life. No matter it is just 1-day old, it is still considered alive. And I agree. There's no difference between an embryo or an adult. Both has the right to live. So I don't think it is right to abort a human embryo.
What if the mother is addicted to crack and abuses the baby? It gets taken away from her, forms insecure attachments, and has an entire childhood where it's bounced from foster home to foster home. What do you think its chances are of growing up to be healthy, happy, well-adjusted and a functioning member of society? Why would you FORCE that kind of life on anyone? Sounds pretty sadistic if you ask me.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 PM

985 posts, read 2,300,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Jones View Post
Fatsolio- This is a prime example of why I keep stating the differences between an embryo and an adult. Some people just slept through Biology class, I guess. **shakes head**

Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 PM

16 posts, read 38,163 times
Not that I'm against Pro-life but the flawed assumptions of so many supporting that cause is a little embarrassing.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,213,428 times
[quote=Redisca;8776981]
Quote:
The terms "parasite" and "leech" are being used in their literal sense, not to disparage the fetus. Until very late in the pregnancy, a fetus cannot survive except by sapping the body of the host, and since in every other situation, no person may be compelled to donate his or her body to another, this shouldn't be required in pregnancy either.
Those terms are absolutely used to disparage the the fetus. What better way to make an abortion more palatable than to call it a leech or a parasite. A leech is a annelid worm that lives in water. It attaches itself to a host in order to suck the blood of that host.
A parasite is an organism that attaches itself to a host in order to benefit from that host. If you think that using these words to describe a fetus is perfectly acceptable then you are as dumb as a stump!

Quote:
It may be funny, but it isn't for you or for the government to dictate to particular woman how she should feel about an entity that she is carrying in her body and that depends on her body -- and no one else's -- for its survival and growth.
Like I said it is funny how the state of mind of the woman dictates what it is that is growing inside her.
If she wants it, it is a "precious baby" that is inside her.
If she doesn't want it, it is simply "A pregnancy" or "My reproductive right".

Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
What if the mother is addicted to crack and abuses the baby? It gets taken away from her, forms insecure attachments, and has an entire childhood where it's bounced from foster home to foster home. What do you think its chances are of growing up to be healthy, happy, well-adjusted and a functioning member of society? Why would you FORCE that kind of life on anyone? Sounds pretty sadistic if you ask me.
What if Despite the fact that the mother is addicted to crack and abuses the baby? It gets taken away from her, forms insecure attachments, and has an entire childhood where it's bounced from foster home to foster home.
That child does grow to be a healthy, happy well-adjusted and functioning member of society?
It happens all the time. Some of the biggest success stories in history were people who came from extreme poverty and dysfunction.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Fatsolio- This is a prime example of why I keep stating the differences between an embryo and an adult. Some people just slept through Biology class, I guess. **shakes head**
We know the difference between an embryo and an adult. About 19 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates