U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,719,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Stop the bickering....PLEASE. I want this thread to die in so many ways. Every time it pops to the top I get annoyed with the idiotic title and start thinking about eeee's claims to be intelligent.

eeeeeeeeeeeee was a hoot wasn't he? I laughed soooo hard. At my favorite watering hole the guys and I started taking bets on his silly remarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 05:52 PM

663 posts, read 1,607,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
eeeeeeeeeeeee was a hoot wasn't he? I laughed soooo hard. At my favorite watering hole the guys and I started taking bets on his silly remarks.
hoot.....hmmmmm. Not the first word that comes to mind, but yeah...he was a hoot.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 PM

341 posts, read 343,310 times
I'm a pro-choice Christian. Not because I like abortion..but because I know TOO many women who have been in a position where one was necessary....defects, rape, medical reasons. Do I wish the other women out there woud reconsider? YES, but for their OWN good..not because I want to shove my beliefs on them. Is an embryo human life? ABSOLUTELY. There is no denying that...it's just science.

I'm not saying that an embryo shouldn't have rights...I feel for the potential baby...but it's kind of easy to get heated about this topic when you have never been in the position to have to opt for abortion yourself. Most women I know have had an abortion. Many regrets theirs...and some don't. Each were for different reasons...many of them were in abusive relationships. Do I judge them? No. A woman has to be the judge of her own body and the future of the potential baby inside.
I have seen how much abortion hurts though..so I wouldn't encourage anyone to get one...unfortunately, though, it's a last option for many women who have been let down by society time and time again.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
I'm a pro-choice Christian. Not because I like abortion..but because I know TOO many women who have been in a position where one was necessary....defects, rape, medical reasons. Do I wish the other women out there woud reconsider? YES, but for their OWN good..not because I want to shove my beliefs on them. Is an embryo human life? ABSOLUTELY. There is no denying that...it's just science.

I'm not saying that an embryo shouldn't have rights...I feel for the potential baby...but it's kind of easy to get heated about this topic when you have never been in the position to have to opt for abortion yourself. Most women I know have had an abortion. Many regrets theirs...and some don't. Each were for different reasons...many of them were in abusive relationships. Do I judge them? No. A woman has to be the judge of her own body and the future of the potential baby inside.
I have seen how much abortion hurts though..so I wouldn't encourage anyone to get one...unfortunately, though, it's a last option for many women who have been let down by society time and time again.
So nicely stated. I love the way you place empathy and personal responsibility side-by-side. Thank you for your post.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM

341 posts, read 343,310 times
Quote:
So nicely stated. I love the way you place empathy and personal responsibility side-by-side. Thank you for your post.
No problem. I just feel for both sides. I know it's a potential baby..but I also know that the story isn't always so easy. Unfortunately I had to have an abortion when I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks. I was in the midst of something medical known to create definite birth defects and disabilities. I cried my eyes out...I hoped and prayed it wasn't true...I was in denial. I wanted my baby BADLY. Abortion was truly HELL. I always felt it was wrong for me and grew up as a pro-lifer.

But once I realized that my baby would suffer, I couldn't deal with either outcome anymore. I don't know if I regret my abortion since my baby would have suffered a great deal and I don't feel it was a chance worth taking because of my own medical situation. I felt TERRIBLE and still cry about it daily. However, I realized I am OBVIOUSLY pro-choice because I couldn't imagine being in a situation where I was denied an abortion where it was my last emergency option.

Many women I know were raped...some were the victims of incest...some were very young with abusive bf's. So in total, I feel every pro-lifer is for choice the way I am. It's just that so many people haven't been faced with a particular situation where they needed to choose ab. It's so easy to say you will never have one...that's what I said my entire life...

So again...I'm for choice..but if I can help it, I would rather express my concern to a doubting woman and tell her my own experience. I had a "reason" for my termination...and I didn't want to do it...yet it still hurts everyday. So I can only imagine how someone might feel if they terminated because of something else within hands reach...or if they were coerced/pressured (almost half of all women I know that had ab's were nastily coerced/pressured by their own partner or family...quite terrible).

Bottom line..I don't wish abortion on anyone. Did I end my potential baby's life? YES and it makes me sick to think of it everyday of my life. But I rather suffer than allow my baby to. I was at risk for miscarrying but I don't think I would have to be honest..and I won't say that to make myself feel better. I had to make a decision..if I knew my child was at NO risk to suffer...abortion would have never been an option for me.

I had an abortion, but I will not deny what it is. I was out of luck having a baby that had to suffer...and out of luck having to stop my potential baby from developing further. Both are very sick feelings. I can't stand to see people argue over it. Each person has to face their own judgement one day..I hope they do what's right in their heart..whether or not society thinks it's right.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:19 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
The only thing wrong with North Korea is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with steroids in sports is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with Atlantis was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with Edsels was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with cancer is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with the Cubs is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with Exxon Valdez was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with the Julian calendar was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with astrology was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with tobacco is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with arson is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with spam is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with the holy inquisitions was nobody exercised personal responsibility.

If only somebody had grabbed Cheops by the lapels and shook him and said "What would dcashley do", we'd be 5,000 years further ahead in our civilization now. There was the secret of the universe, right there in front of him, but the poor Pharaoh just didn't know anything about personal responsibility, and the whole planet floundered along until dcashley discovered that there is only one law.

The only thing wrong with the US Constitution is that the Founders babbled on an on about stuff that was irrelevant. All they needed to say was "We the people exercise personal responsibility" and that would have been it. But the founders were smart enough to predict that some people might not exercise personal responsibility, and the Constitution is Plan B.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-15-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The only thing wrong with North Korea is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with steroids in sports is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with Atlantis was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with Edsels was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with cancer is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with the Cubs is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with Exxon Valdez was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with the Julian calendar was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with astrology was nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with tobacco is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with arson is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with spam is nobody exercised personal responsibility.
The only thing wrong with the holy inquisitions was nobody exercised personal responsibility.

If only somebody had grabbed Cheops by the lapels and shook him and said "What would dcashley do", we'd be 5,000 years further ahead in our civilization now. There was the secret of the universe, right there in front of him, but the poor Pharaoh just didn't know anything about personal responsibility, and the whole planet floundered along until dcashley discovered that there is only one law.

The only thing wrong with the US Constitution is that the Founders babbled on an on about stuff that was irrelevant. All they needed to say was "We the people exercise personal responsibility" and that would have been it. But the founders were smart enough to predict that some people might not exercise personal responsibility, and the Constitution is Plan B.
You are a hoot! by god you really are!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
Quote:
You are a hoot! by god you really are!
You can't be funny with great material. Thanks for that. It was getting hard to get hilarious material, after Eeeee left.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,705,424 times
dead embryos dead thread!!!! and the big eeeeeeeeeeeee is gone nowhere to be heard..

Old 05-16-2009, 11:23 AM

985 posts, read 2,302,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
dead embryos dead thread!!!! and the big eeeeeeeeeeeee is gone nowhere to be heard..
He's probably busy getting an exorcism, god knows he needs it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates