U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,045,421 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

I've been asked to repeat this several times. Here it is. This simple definition should effectively end the abortion debate for all time. But it won't, because the pro-abortion side isn't interested in facts or logic.

Here it is. Short. Simple. Ironclad.

A human embryo from the moment of conception is exactly the same genetically as the adult human being it will become (barring premature death) except in stage of development. There is no other difference. Period.

This definition has ended many abortion arguments. Nobody has ever been able to dispute or find an exception that invalidates any part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
Reputation: 35889
You have proven that a human embryo is not a giraffe. Congratulations.

Now prove that it has the same entitlement to life as a fully-developed human being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
 
5,767 posts, read 10,040,015 times
Reputation: 3809
That definition is a bit limiting. For instance, let's say the fertilized embryo later has some other genetic material grafted into its genome - not even necessarily "human" DNA. Let's say we know the embryo has a genetic defect which is then amended by splicing in a bit of animal DNA which happens to correct that particular defect. Perhaps something that runs deep in the background, such as a gene controlling the rate of pancreatic production of a certain hormone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,218 posts, read 2,872,499 times
Reputation: 2922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You have proven that a human embryo is not a giraffe. Congratulations.

Now prove that it has the same entitlement to life as a fully-developed human being.
Well, that's easy. A fully developed human being starts out as an embryo. Thus, the right to life is the same from the time of conception until the day of your death. Asking if the embryo is entitled to life is no different than asking if you or I am entitled to life. The answer is yes, to the same degree, in both situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
2,868 posts, read 8,454,851 times
Reputation: 1500
An embryo can not sustain life on it's own. An adult can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
 
5,092 posts, read 4,372,247 times
Reputation: 4337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I've been asked to repeat this several times. Here it is. This simple definition should effectively end the abortion debate for all time. But it won't, because the pro-abortion side isn't interested in facts or logic.

Here it is. Short. Simple. Ironclad.

A human embryo from the moment of conception is exactly the same genetically as the adult human being it will become (barring premature death) except in stage of development. There is no other difference. Period.

This definition has ended many abortion arguments. Nobody has ever been able to dispute or find an exception that invalidates any part of it.
I donate a kidney to someone else. It has a human genetic code (mine, in fact).

Does that make my donated kidney a separate and unique human being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
Reputation: 35889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well, that's easy. A fully developed human being starts out as an embryo. Thus, the right to life is the same from the time of conception until the day of your death. Asking if the embryo is entitled to life is no different than asking if you or I am entitled to life. The answer is yes, to the same degree, in both situations.
Thank you for your comment. That does not constitute a proof.

One could argue, for example, that no organism has a natural and inherent right to life until it is able to sustain that life without imposing on the cooperation or contribution of another organism, which may be to the detriment of the other organism.

You need to define "right" or "entitlement" in such a way as to exclude countervailing detriment to another organism that has a comparable set of "rights". That is inconsistent with the concept of "rights" under US law as well as cultural understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
Reputation: 35889
By the wayk since you are so logical and rational and capable of deriving proofs so easily, please explain why you thought it was necessary to start a new thread on abortions, when there was already one to which you continue to contribute profusely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,045,421 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By the wayk since you are so logical and rational and capable of deriving proofs so easily, please explain why you thought it was necessary to start a new thread on abortions, when there was already one to which you continue to contribute profusely?
It's because this proof is so profound, I felt it needed a thread of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,045,421 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
An embryo can not sustain life on it's own. An adult can.
Neither can a 2-day-old child. Your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top