U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

The dumbest thing I know of is in Indiana you still have to buy a casket if you are being cremated.::

You might have misinterpreted the Indiana law. Every state has a law that a body has to be stored and transported in a "suitable container", probably defined in a statute written by the powerful mortuary lobby, which generally gets exactly what they want without demur. Shopping around, even in Indiana, should produce a mortician who is willing to provide a legally suitable container at a reasonable price.

I am under the impression that nobody buys caskets anymore, the mortician rents them to you for display and then buries the body without the casket.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,792,846 times
I want someone to secretly tuck my un-embalmed body into an air duct of any IRS, or Texas County Appraisal office, in the middle of July.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,098,889 times
I will be cremated, put in a nice urn my best friend made for me and scattered in my garden, hopefully by her.

My best friend found something interesting in the back yard of the home she bought 4 years ago. She was rearranging the bricks in the back garden and found a metal brick about twice the size of a normal brick. On the front it had a mans name a serial number and the name Rose Hills which was a local cemetary. After some research she found out that this person had been cremated in 1973 and the brick held his ashes. I guess the people who put him there forgot him when they moved. She calls him by his middle name Wendall and talks to him when she works in the garden. She has already decided that to be put into the garden was something he wanted and if she evey moves, she will bury the container so nobody will throw him away.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,509,642 times
I don't care, just get rid of me fast. I don't want strangers leering at my dead naked body with all the fluids draining out. How embarrassing.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,055,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You might have misinterpreted the Indiana law. Every state has a law that a body has to be stored and transported in a "suitable container", probably defined in a statute written by the powerful mortuary lobby, which generally gets exactly what they want without demur. Shopping around, even in Indiana, should produce a mortician who is willing to provide a legally suitable container at a reasonable price.

I am under the impression that nobody buys caskets anymore, the mortician rents them to you for display and then buries the body without the casket.
Thanks I will recheck with my local funeral home last time we talked to them we had to actually purchase a casket. Although it could be cardboard or wooden too.

Around my parts I am not aware of caskets being rented. When we go to the cementary we witness the caskets being lowered into the ground. We are allowed to stay to watch the grounds keepers fill the dirt back into the hole also if wanted.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM

9,863 posts, read 8,981,318 times
We are retired ... so when me or hubby dies ... we just gonna place the body in our chest freezer so our pension checks won't stop! We thought about just sitting him up in his recliner chair but he might start to stink.

Right now plans are to be cremated ... no 'professional body viewers' walking past our casket and saying 'ohhh how good he/she looks ' ... in our part of the world we have people that visit funeral homes weekly just to look at bodies and don't even know the people. I don't do the body viewing number, I will go to a funeral but hate that lining up to see a body.

If hubby goes first I will keep his ashes and strap that urn or jar in his seat belt and head to the mall and just shop and shop and shop till I drop and just show him everything I look at or try on ... if I go first I am sure my ashes will spend quality time at hardware stores, fishing and gun shows.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 PM

458 posts, read 1,136,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We are retired ... so when me or hubby dies ... we just gonna place the body in our chest freezer so our pension checks won't stop! We thought about just sitting him up in his recliner chair but he might start to stink.
I love your sense of humor

Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I love your sense of humor
I couldn't agree more!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We thought about just sitting him up in his recliner chair but he might start to stink.
Have a taxidermist do it. Then, put him in the passenger seat of the car, so you can use the High Occupancy Lane.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have a taxidermist do it. Then, put him in the passenger seat of the car, so you can use the High Occupancy Lane.
No officer, he's just tired from pulling lots of OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates