U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why are you here?
I have an agenda I am morally obliged to convert people to. 2 4.55%
I am very smart, and through me you shall know the truth. 7 15.91%
This is very good practice for refining and distilling my thoughts. 16 36.36%
I like to learn new facts from uninformed opinionated people. 8 18.18%
I don't have time to watch the News, so I get it here. 1 2.27%
I hate America and I'm destroying it. 0 0%
I love America and I'm destroying it. 2 4.55%
I don't have a life. 7 15.91%
I'm a Troll. 2 4.55%
Other (Don't bother to tell us about it.) 11 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:17 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,603,351 times

Advertisements

What motivates you to read and post to these forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:49 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,701,709 times
well that depends... i go to the other topics for laughs...but i go to the religion forum to listen to all the fairy tales some of that stuff is great i like to rub in my theories about the babbles being forged.. and for the politics it's all bs hate politics it's just a bunch of crab two different piles...and for the great debates i just like to run threads and read other peoples threads to see what percentage of people agree or disagree with a given subject..alot of the great debates can't realy be proven one side or the other..i say global cooling al gore says global warming..but people like the arogant godstablize make it more fun but he backed off he takes it to personally..he was the best master bater of all time..

Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
yes thank you CDF for affording me the opportunity to become a better poster.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,491,516 times
If all I did at work was stare at my screen and wait for the database to tell me it's all messed up again, I would go completely bananas.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 PM

985 posts, read 2,301,585 times
Honestly, I come out of boredom when I'm writing papers or studying. City Data forums never fail to give me a good laugh.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM
ako

140 posts, read 294,286 times
And I was expecting a religion thread,

I voted troll.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,708,071 times
To learn new things. I know I can learn new things when I am constantly challenged by others about the things I know. I know this because one person never has all the answers by himself, but if he is open to learn from others, he will know more than most.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 AM

857 posts, read 1,229,211 times
because this is one of the few sites not blocked at my office, so I'm technically getting paid for this, and its this or work...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,264,072 times
Guess I'll choose "This is very good practice for refining and distilling my thoughts." But the real reason is it's entertaining and it's something to do when I'm bored.

I tend to wake up hours before the rest of my family. Posting on city-data is a quiet activity so I don't wake them up. Also, I'm recovering from lymphoma. It's a slow process, so even though it was a while ago and I'm now doing great, whenever something contagious comes around I need to stay in for a few days. Posting on city-data is something entertaining to do.

I also like helping out people who are moving to my town. I moved a lot in my younger days and remember vividly how difficult that was. So it makes me feel good to help other people out, tell them where things are and what to watch out for.

BTW, it aggravates the hell out of me when people who don't live in my town show up and give false information. I don't care why they do it, if it's about being a big shot or being mischievious--IMO there's a special place in hades waiting for them.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 AM

536 posts, read 1,645,840 times
I first started reading these forums to get opinions on things happening around my city/state economy wise. It is nice to get the opinion of someone other than the regular news.

Then I started reading other threads and got a good laugh so then it became about the entertainment value.

Then I got bore and started reading/posting in other forums not related to my state and was hooked.

Now its a combination of everything. It is a communtiy. Debates, economy, what you neighbor is doing thats illegal. Everything you can think of is discussed. And it is nice to get someone's opinion that doesn't have the same values as you, or was raised in the same area. We represent the entire country and it is nice to know what is on everyone's mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or