U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 03:22 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Do you REALLY need an assualt style weapon?
Do you REALLY need to practice your chosen religion? Why not just choose from one of the faiths we've pre-selected as being "okay"? That'd be fine with you, right?

Old 08-22-2009, 03:27 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
Assault style weapons are really a non-issue in my book.
Then why would you bother stating what I quoted in my last post?

Your positions are cloudy in this thread. You're saying things in one post and then contradicting them in another. Perhaps you could be a little clearer.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you REALLY need to practice your chosen religion? Why not just choose from one of the faiths we've pre-selected as being "okay"? That'd be fine with you, right?
That's exactly what happens. Do you think you and I can just form a faith, and then get the tax-free status and protection from government intrusion? No. A religion has to be one pre-selected as being OK.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:00 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,738,758 times
Quote:
Is the best argument you have a strawman?

Really, what does ANY religion have to do with the question I asked.

Care to answer the question, or should we expect more strawmen? perhaps some non sequiturs and ad hominems too?

Old 08-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Then why would you bother stating what I quoted in my last post?

Your positions are cloudy in this thread. You're saying things in one post and then contradicting them in another. Perhaps you could be a little clearer.
Perhaps people can ask for clarification. I have been quite clear and concice on this thread while addressing several points at the same time. The confusion arises from people stepping into the conversation in mid-stream and responding to cherrypicked quotes.

On this thread I have attempted to explain the Secret Service's responsibilities, and linked the particular laws that govern their actions, directed toward those who think the Secret Service oversteps their authority.

On this thread, I have attempted to clarify a basic Constutional Principle to those who get their entire Constitutional education from the media. There simple is NO "pure freedom", each of the rights enumerated within the Bill of Rights has certain inherent limitations.

On this thread, I have also argued FOR 2nd Amendment Rights, while attempting to explain to certain individuals that, while the g'ment may not Eliminate, it may Regulate 2nd Amendment Rights (and others as well).

If anyone needs further clarification, feel free to ask.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
It's pretty sad people cannot understand the importance of protecting the POTUS.
"People" fully understand the importance of protecting the President.

But, some "people" are trying to make an issue of something that was not - is not and should not, be any kind of an issue.

The POTUS was NOT at risk.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
So? Do you REALLY need an assualt style weapon?
Sure. Why not? They are fun to shoot. I own one.

Do you "need" a an M-16? I own one -

Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Assault style weapons are really a non-issue in my book.
I'm a private pilot - I own my own aircraft. An airplane takes you from point A to point B. They are also fun.

Do you need a military style aircraft to go from a to b? No. But, why not have one if you want one. I'm friends with a couple of former Navy Aviators who own, and fly, F-14 Tomcats.

I don't have a problem with someone owning an Assault weapon as I do not have a problem with someone owning a Military fighter aircraft.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"People" fully understand the importance of protecting the President.

But, some "people" are trying to make an issue of something that was not - is not and should not, be any kind of an issue.

The POTUS was NOT at risk.
Feel free to post a quote where I stated he WAS at risk.

You will only find quotes of mine stating how silly the "demonstration" was, along the usual lines of the right-wing hysterical propeganda we've all come to expect from people on that side of the political spectrum.

If there's no contraversy, invent one. Whether it's starting fights at Gay Pride events to "show how militant and evil gays are", fathers pretending not to be in league with Article 8 (now absorbed into another anti-gay "family" organization) in Massechussettes and getting himself arrested to "show the true (sic) gay agenda in schools", or protesting a Right not under serious threat at this moment, protests directed at a POTUS who does NOT support federal gun bans.

And right wingers lap it all up unthinkingly, merely becasue the current POTUS has a (D) next to his title.

And people wonder why we Centrists, Moderates, and Independants made a mass exodus from the Republican Party (even if I did write in Ron Paul on my ballot).

The American People are sick and tired of this crap pushed by the GOP and right-wingers in general, this fear mongering, hysterical, empty, Limbaughnian style propeganda.

We will never be able to stop the lefties and their more far out policies (like outlandish gun controls and bans, and UHC) if the GOP, and Republicans in general, continue using the same Failed Policy as before, ie baseless hysteria.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Feel free to post a quote where I stated he WAS at risk.

You will only find quotes of mine stating how silly the "demonstration" was, along the usual lines of the right-wing hysterical propeganda we've all come to expect from people on that side of the political spectrum.
There were protestors there on issues relating to the economy. Health care. Gay marriage. Emininet domain. The war. 2nd Amendment. and more

Its funny how the media has only mentioned one group of protests going on.

Gee - the media biased??? Nahhhhh

There were left wingers. Right wingers. Centrist wingers. All sorts there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates