Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 10:51 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

The private ownership and use of firearms is an American tradition. Rural areas, in particular, carry this tradition on proudly and firearms are just a part of life. Regardless of whether one lives in a city or on a ranch, we all have the same right to own and use firearms for lawful purposes. There are some folks out there that are plumb afraid of firearms and owners of same, which i interesting. These folks attribute some kind of evil and dangerous power to a firearm, as if, by itself, it can cause violence and mayhem. Like the mere presence of a firearm is, in and of itself, a recipe for a violent crime. If this were true, everybody I personally know would be dead by now. The wild fear that some people have of firearms is mildly amusing. Hoplophobia. LMAO, The wild and irrational fear of firearms. The term was coined by the late ,great, Jeff Cooper, and his musings on the subject are quite entertaining. To Ride Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth is a great read.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You'd be up against the regular army, easily outgunned. They have state of the art weaponry, well trained, high tech, full access to intel. No matter how well you are armed as a civilian, you'd be Ruby Ridge, or Wounded Knee, with the enemy unconcerned about their media image.

Yup, but all those things you so proudly mention are exactly why the second amendment is important. The citizenry is supposed to have access to state of the art military type arms. We dont though, and thanks to control freaks like you Ruby Ridge & Waco happened and will again.
Any commander ordering his troops to fire on American civilians should be hung from the nearest tree.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur
Being a pacifist and a gun owner I am a little confused by your comment. There is nothing immoral or indecent about guns or owning guns or shooting guns. Guns have been a integral part of this country since it's inception and in fact, the United States would not have existed without them.

In order to stop the problems that have developed with regard to guns and crime, what this country needs to do is to A. ENFORCE EXISTING LAWS and 2. Get really, really tough on offenders. That would effectively eliminate the gun crimes as we know them.

Banning guns would have no discernable effect on crime - if anything it would exacerbate the problem. Do you think that CRIMINALS, who would rob, shoot, rape and kill would CARE if there was a gun ban? Certainly not. It would be the law-abiding people who would suffer immeasurably from such an absurd event.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

If we ban firearms; knives, clubs, sticks and stones won't be far behind. I wish I were exaggerating.

Some people fail to realize the problem is not dangerous weapons but dangerous people. As we cannot identify and eliminate the latter we have to keep the former.

Many of us, like me, were carefully taught to never fight the bullies in school. We were supposed to let the teachers and principal protect us. After surviving one beating and broken glasses (my step father yelled at me for letting the glasses get broken), I complained to the authorities and they did nothing. It seems the gang leader's dad was on the school board and the school administrators were terrified of him. Next thing I know is the ganglet set out a hit order on me. One of them confronted me in a gym locker room. Unfortunately for him I grabbed a baseball bat and I clobbered the creep. They hauled him away to the hospital and me to detention. Lessons learned: be aware, be alert and be armed. It is also better to get detention than to get a beating. It is also easier to prevail if you have a club and the aggressor only has his hands.

We do have bullies in this country and we, as individuals, have to be ready to defend ourselves and the people we are responsible for protecting. If that means I have to be armed and ready to defend myself, well so be it and the government can stay out of my choice of appropriate weapon.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We do have bullies in this country and we, as individuals, have to be ready to defend ourselves and the people we are responsible for protecting. If that means I have to be armed and ready to defend myself, well so be it and the government can stay out of my choice of appropriate weapon.
Greg - while you and I do disagree on a lot of other issues, on this issue, we could not be more IN AGREEMENT!

Good post!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Yeah, on this we do most certainly agree. Thanks, GregW

Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
How come I've never had to defend myself from bullies, and neither has anybody I've ever known? Do I need to move to a better neighborhood, to enjoy this privilege?

I live in the old, inner city part of town, so I guess if I want to buy guns and hunt bullies, I have to move out to the country club suburbs, and meet bullies at the mall.

Unless you mean that I get to wave a gun to deter the bullies at my cable company and the DMV, who are the only ones that affect my life.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The fact is though - guns are part of our culture in the US. And you will never be able to rid the nation of firearms. It simply cannot happen.

And, there will always be criminals -

We do not live in Utopia - nor ever will

Agree, that's why the focus will be on ammunition! What good is a gun without ammo. Go to some stores and see how low supplies are. People know what's coming ahead, that's why they're buying large amounts of it.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
Agree, that's why the focus will be on ammunition! What good is a gun without ammo. Go to some stores and see how low supplies are. People know what's coming ahead, that's why they're buying large amounts of it.
Yep - and why I (and millions of others) have, and are, "stocking up"

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How come I've never had to defend myself from bullies, and neither has anybody I've ever known? Do I need to move to a better neighborhood, to enjoy this privilege?

I live in the old, inner city part of town, so I guess if I want to buy guns and hunt bullies, I have to move out to the country club suburbs, and meet bullies at the mall.

Unless you mean that I get to wave a gun to deter the bullies at my cable company and the DMV, who are the only ones that affect my life.
The bullys, to a large degree are the folks you mentioned earlier. No need to hunt for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates