U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Yes, you are missing a lot.
LoL And you are completely missing the point that if it was up to you slavery and apartheid would still be part of American culture, simply because it once was part of your culture.
Just because something is considered part of your culture or heritage should it be allowed to exist.
If that was the case American women would still be unequal to men.

Quote:
The United States Supreme Court ruled that police officers do not have a duty to stop crimes from happening.
Then why call them a police force if they don't police society?

FYI American judges cannot dictate what is and is not American culture; laws and culture are 2 different things
Supposedly serial killers are also part of American culture and no judge can stop this fact.

 
Old 05-09-2009, 01:49 AM
 
2,681 posts, read 3,573,781 times
Reputation: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday Aren't Americans the ones who insists on being able to carry guns?
And don't Americans generally not believe that personal freedom is far more important than the safety and wellbeing of a whole society?
Americans believe personal happyness trumps cultural subjegation, which is why we left Europe in the first place.

Take away the welfare goodies, and most people in Europe would say the same.

Oh, and as for slavery and all the other far-left talking points, refer to the Dutch west/east India companies histories
 
Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Shizzles
Quote:
Oh, and as for slavery and all the other far-left talking points, refer to the Dutch west/east India companies histories
What's your point?
I never denied that the Dutch became rich of selling slaves to Americans.

Quote:
Americans believe personal happyness trumps cultural subjegation, which is why we left Europe in the first place.
Which is why you will keep repeating the same (old European) mistakes because you consider yourself different from Europeans, which you actually are not.

The difference between The Netherlands and America is that the Dutch have abandoned slavery. We even gave our ex-slaves their own land or returned the ex-colony to the rightful owners, while Americans still keep denying the past (by rewriting the history books so America can only be seen as the cowboy wearing the white hat).
 
Old 05-09-2009, 02:56 AM
 
2,681 posts, read 3,573,781 times
Reputation: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Shizzles What's your point?
I never denied that the Dutch became rich of selling slaves to Americans.

Which is why you will keep repeating the same (old European) mistakes because you consider yourself different from Europeans, which you actually are not.

The difference between The Netherlands and America is that the Dutch have abandoned slavery. We even gave our ex-slaves their own land or returned the ex-colony to the rightful owners, while Americans still keep denying the past (by rewriting the history books so America can only be seen as the cowboy wearing the white hat).
Slavery and gun ownership is two totally different issues. In fact, the first gun control law ever written in the US was to stop emacipated slaves from owning firearms (which thankfully has been overturned). So technically, those who support gun control really support racism. The fact of the matter is like most leftists, if anyone doesn't do as you say, they must obviously be a racist (nevermind my father is AA).


If the Netherlands is so perfect, then handout free dutch passports to all you suggest are "oppressed" here and have the Netherlands deal with the issue.
 
Old 05-09-2009, 03:32 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Shizzles
Quote:
Slavery and gun ownership is two totally different issues. In fact, the first gun control law ever written in the US was to stop emacipated slaves from owning firearms (which thankfully has been overturned).
Not really, if I'm not mistaken the 1st American gun laws were about prohibiting any black American (free or not) of holding a gun (much less own it).

Quote:
If the Netherlands is so perfect, then handout free dutch passports to all you suggest are "oppressed" here and have the Netherlands deal with the issue.
The Netherlands only hand out free passports to political refugees and not economical refugees since we are a very small country.
 
Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Shizzles Not really, if I'm not mistaken the 1st American gun laws were about prohibiting any black American (free or not) of holding a gun (much less own it).
Yep, & we fixed it by guarenteeing them the same rights as everyone else, thats American equality, the law abiding are free.
Your country instead of growing more free & just went the other way & now treats everyone as criminals, thats Dutch equality, the law aboding are,,,, um well I guess they are whatevers left over after you remove basic rights & freedom from people brainwashed to think that theyre still free when they aint.

Quote:
The Netherlands only hand out free passports to political refugees and not economical refugees since we are a very small country.
Whatever, the Netherlands by all accounts is a beautiful place & has a rich history. But thats all it is, a tourist attraction with a history, nothing more.
Thats why you feel the need to insert your ignorance into American based debates. There simply is nothing noteworthy about the Netherlands
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 AM
 
Location: NJ
15,904 posts, read 10,958,252 times
Reputation: 10111
Default No morality or decency

"Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur"

Mark of a troll and a flat out insult. Nothing to debate but why this post was not deleted.
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:08 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Yep, & we fixed it by guarenteeing them the same rights as everyone else, thats American equality, the law abiding are free.
LoL the South believed otherwise.
Wasn't that why you Americans fought your bloodiest war?
FYI America only truly fixed racial segregation around 1960.
Which is not even a generation ago.

Quote:
Thats why you feel the need to insert your ignorance into American based debates.
LoL I love it when ya call me ignorant while you're being totally oblivious to your own American history.
I guess you only read the ‘white’ and approved version?
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Greatday LoL And you are completely missing the point that if it was up to you slavery and apartheid would still be part of American culture, simply because it once was part of your culture.
Just because something is considered part of your culture or heritage should it be allowed to exist.
If that was the case American women would still be unequal to men.
Are you a fool? Do you think that when one thing is made better, like freeing the slaves or giving women the vote, that means we should toss everything? As a country, a FREE country develops, some things will need to be changed & some reinforced. Slavery & prohibitions against women & Blacks voting were fixed, gun rights were reinforced.

Its hard for you to understand, you have never experienced one day of living in a free country. I'm certain the Netherlands is better than where they stole you from but there are alot better places to live if you choose to better yourself.

Quote:
Then why call them a police force if they don't police society?
They do police society. That doesn't mean they can stop crime, they solve crimes, pick up the pieces & catch bad guys. None of that is any help at all when you find yourself the victim of a criminal.
A free man is given every opportunity & method of saving himself. A Dutch citizen is expected to bend over & take it.

Quote:
FYI American judges cannot dictate what is and is not American culture; laws and culture are 2 different things
Supposedly serial killers are also part of American culture and no judge can stop this fact.
Blah blah blah, spoken like a truly clueless troll.
Guns are part of our culture true, yours too, your current culture, not your previous one. But here they are protected by the law & most of us want it that way & will lobby as long at its necessary to preserve the right to protect ourselves, our loved ones & if need be our country.
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Are you a fool?
I'm not the 1 who believes we should not change something because it is tradition.

Quote:
A free man is given every opportunity & method of saving himself.
A free man can do jack sh*t against organised crime.

Quote:
Blah blah blah, spoken like a truly clueless troll.
This is an accurate description of you Tin Knocker who keeps calling everyone else who disagrees with you a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top