U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
An order , from DC to pacify the American people will leave whatever administration giving such an order, with egg on their face, and feeling quite lonely up there at the top. Thats my take anyway.
i would put my money on more than just egg on their face; they would not survive longer than a week after that kind of stupid call.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,911,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i would put my money on more than just egg on their face; they would not survive longer than a week after that kind of stupid call.
Yes, perhaps I was being a bit gentle. Personally, I find the idea of a gun free society ....distasteful. I LOVE to shoot. My son and I attended a rimfire steel shoot last weekend, and had a ball. Steel Challenge on the cheap. Th range hosting the competition has a very nice setup. During lunch, we took our rifles to the other end and shot bowling pins at 200 yards. Got my new AR15 dialed in. An A2 Bushy. My son played with his .308 Stevens bolt gun. Lol, he put a 6x24 varmint scope on it, to much optic for me but he loves it. We have a blast with the shooting. Discussion on here always takes a turn for the serious aspects of firearms ownership, and the fun stuff gets pushed aside. Shooting has been good for my son. He works hard to earn money to support his habit, keeps his grades up so he can hunt and compete, if he dosn't he don't shoot. Good leverage. We spend good father/son time out in the scrub hunting and at the range practicing, he laerns the math, chemistry, physical science and mechanical engineering behind it all fixing broken guns and reloading. It's amazing how many nice guns you can find , that folks just give away because they are broken, or beat up, and with a few bucks a little TLC, and some time to figure it out, bingo, a nice shooter in the rack. Shoting has helped me teach my bot a LOT of good stuff. More and more people are getting into the sports, which is what we need. Involved and active shooters, working with youngsters and showing the positive, constructive side of shooting. Sure, there is the deterant to tyranny thing, same with crime, but shooting is just plain FUN. The anti's don't know what they are missing. If they would just come out and see what the shooting sports are really all about, actually get to know some serious shooters, spend some time in the real world of shooting and seeing how this idea of shooters as paranoid nuts hiding in bunkers is about as far from reality as it gets, might just open some eyes.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,833,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes, perhaps I was being a bit gentle. Personally, I find the idea of a gun free society ....distasteful. I LOVE to shoot. My son and I attended a rimfire steel shoot last weekend, and had a ball. Steel Challenge on the cheap. Th range hosting the competition has a very nice setup. During lunch, we took our rifles to the other end and shot bowling pins at 200 yards. Got my new AR15 dialed in. An A2 Bushy. My son played with his .308 Stevens bolt gun. Lol, he put a 6x24 varmint scope on it, to much optic for me but he loves it. We have a blast with the shooting. Discussion on here always takes a turn for the serious aspects of firearms ownership, and the fun stuff gets pushed aside. Shooting has been good for my son. He works hard to earn money to support his habit, keeps his grades up so he can hunt and compete, if he dosn't he don't shoot. Good leverage. We spend good father/son time out in the scrub hunting and at the range practicing, he laerns the math, chemistry, physical science and mechanical engineering behind it all fixing broken guns and reloading. It's amazing how many nice guns you can find , that folks just give away because they are broken, or beat up, and with a few bucks a little TLC, and some time to figure it out, bingo, a nice shooter in the rack. Shoting has helped me teach my bot a LOT of good stuff. More and more people are getting into the sports, which is what we need. Involved and active shooters, working with youngsters and showing the positive, constructive side of shooting. Sure, there is the deterant to tyranny thing, same with crime, but shooting is just plain FUN. The anti's don't know what they are missing. If they would just come out and see what the shooting sports are really all about, actually get to know some serious shooters, spend some time in the real world of shooting and seeing how this idea of shooters as paranoid nuts hiding in bunkers is about as far from reality as it gets, might just open some eyes.
nice post. i wish that i had the money right now to shoot my ar-15. i have a decent amount of .22 long rifle rounds, and those are hella fun, especially with my daughter, but i am itching to get my ar out and put it through the paces at an outdoor range. it is a beauty; i bought it used with quite a few perks, but immediately afterward, as i was saving up for some ammo, i was laid off, the economy went to hell, and ammo prices more than doubled.

now i'm trying to be conservative with the rounds that i do have for it, and waiting for the economy to calm down a bit.

anyway, yeah, firearms have many more purposes than merely killing humans. most firearms in existence have never been used to shoot at someone, and never will. that is a simple statistical fact.

mine have been used, and will be again when i have sufficient cash, to recreate, to practice skills that i have been formally trained in through the usmc infantry, and to pass those skills on to my kids.

as soon as i get done with living the suburban life (hopefully when i am done with school, if it ever ends...), then i am thinking of using my rifles for food storage as well, so that i can stop depending on storebought meat that has been chemically treated, grown in a tiny stall, and tortured off of the animal that it came from.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM

3,957 posts, read 3,857,112 times
A good .22LR conversion kit for an AR can pay for itself after a couple of days at the range. If you want better accuracy then a new upper with a barrel designed for a .22LR is even better.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,911,844 times
I just recently became an AR owner again. I sold the 2 I had, kept my M1A and AK, regretted it soon after. I have scads of .308 and 7.62x39 stored, no .223.. Some of the .308 I'm going to swap off for .223, I have enough to make that plan work, and I have a spare AK I can wheel and deal with as well. That gives us an LR .308, M1A, an AK and the AR for service rifles. Pretty heady group. The LR is my sons, he scrimped and saved, mowing lawns, raking laves, shoveling horse dookey, B day and xmas money etc, for a year and a half to buy the thing. I still ended up spotting him a few bucks, but it was worth it. He showed a bit of grit toward getting the rifle, and he deserved to be recognized for his efforts. His goal is to make the cut for the Army Marksmanship Unit, he has points built up in Steel Challenge, IPSC, Bullseye with Service Rifle and Trap on tap for next year as well. Shooting has been a good thing for him. He will be 14 in February, so he has some time to build his resume'. I'm proud of him.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,055 times
Default duddabug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur
NO IN THE WORDS OF THE LATE AND GREAT CHARLTON HESTON
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.
If you outlaw guns only criminals will have guns. All of know someone who can connect us with someone and so on who can get us any firearm you wish
and besides us law abiding citizens are not the problem. Get tough on the criminal, make the laws so tough on law breakers that they will think twice before they break them. Besides if you want the killing to stop don't stop at just guns take away anything that can be used to kill someone, examples: hammers, screwdrivers, knives, cars, trucks, and the list is
endless. If you are going to take guns away what in the hell did our armed forces fight for now and in the past.
A GUN FREE USA WOULD MAKE US A TARGET FOR ALL IDIOTS.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,743,513 times
Anybody who says handguns are only good for killing people hasn't seen the Toledo bar shootout video.

They obviously aren't good for killing people; over 50 shots fired and no one killed.

YouTube - Bar shootout caught on tape

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM

8,581 posts, read 8,927,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What do you think would be the disadvantage of an entire culture knowing how go get along with each other, without ever feeling that there was a need for guns?
Yeah, because we all know that it is the guns that make people not know how to get along with each other.......

Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM

777 posts, read 1,096,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Anybody who says handguns are only good for killing people hasn't seen the Toledo bar shootout video.

They obviously aren't good for killing people; over 50 shots fired and no one killed.
Hard to believe nobody was killed with all the lead flying. And from point blank range. These guys are pathetically bad shots.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,055 times
Guns don't kill people people kill people. You can use anything to kill a person. Guns are just singled out. I grew up with guns all around me as a child and knew better than to touch one.
I was taught to respect guns not to fear them, that is what we need to teach this next generation. I do not fear the gun it is the idiot behind the gun that scares me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates