U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If America is so perfect, and the thing that makes it perfect is that everyone has a gun, why doesn't America hand out free guns to all people, not just in the USA, but everywhere in the world where people are "oppressed" and are not allowed to have guns? Or who can't afford the absolute basic essentials of life, and have been squeaking by gunless, with nothing but food and shelter.

Seriously, if you really want everyone to have a gun, back the truck load of guns into town and start handing them out. Six billion handguns could be banged out by our arms industry for less than a trillion dollars, which seems like pretty small change nowadays, considering the Iraq war and all the bailouts. Do some good for a change with our money. Make sure that every fan at the Mets game has a gun at the stadium to protect himself with. No registration, no regulation, just give everybody one. Even little kids, to protect themselves from pedophiles and pervs. Don't just sit there---do it. You've got this great idea that everyone needs a gun, make it happen. A mere trillion dollars, and its done---small price to pay for such a glorious human achievement which will solve every global problem. Peace and security on Earth forever.

Where did Shizzles say he wanted everyone to have a gun?
Its simply a right the same as religion & speech. No one can force you to go to church, no one can force you to speak out & no one can force you to buy a gun, but you are entirely free & should be, to do any of those things anytime you choose.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,529,077 times
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Its simply a right the same as religion & speech. No one can force you to go to church, no one can force you to speak out & no one can force you to buy a gun, but you are entirely free & should be, to do any of those things anytime you choose.
Which defeats the whole purpose of having a regulated militia.
If everyone can own a gun it ain't regulated.
Just like your American economy was not regulated which resulted in the current global credit crisis.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:54 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,327,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker Which defeats the whole purpose of having a regulated militia.
If everyone can own a gun it ain't regulated.
Just like your American economy was not regulated which resulted in the current global credit crisis.

Cmon, you cant be that addle brained.

The intent was simply to enable the formation of a regulated militia if & when needed. A militia made up of unarmed men isn't going to do much good no matter how regulated. The amendment talks of a
"regulated militia" made up of free men with their own personal arms.
It protects against infringement so that the body of the people would always be armed or have free acces to arms. They mention militia because its important to the country as a whole, but nowhere does it have any exclusionary language indicating that only the militia could bear arms nor does it contain language indicating that the whole of the people be well regulated.

It says that a militia should be well regulated & that the peoples right shall not be infringed. People try real hard to make it complicated, but its not, much to their chagrin. The regulation happens in the militia, not the populace.

As to your comment on our economy & the global crisis, I can only surmise that you wish your country was influential enough that a recession there had global effects. Its not our fault your economy is ineffectual.

Now I need to go finish loading some ammo for tomorrow afternoon at the range. We are taking one of my sons friends for the first time. Theres few things more rewarding than teaching a young person to shoot.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Cmon, you cant be that addle brained.
(...)
A militia made up of unarmed men isn't going to do much good no matter how regulated.
LoL, I guess my thought process is much to difficult for you to understand?
I wasn't talking about guns, but about people.
Not everyone should be armed (read in a militia).
At least that is my sole reason to regulate a militia; a gun is only a tool and in the hands of an idiot (or a psychopath) anything could become a menace to society.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,724,682 times
I'm kind of divided on the whole gun issue. I've been shooting before...it's fun, I enjoyed it a lot. While I'm not here to bash the Second Amendment in any way, shape, or form, I am not for 100% gun ownership, nor do I particularly like the "macho" gun culture that is very prevalent in certain places. I do respect the Second Amendment, the United States and its gun laws, but by the same token, I wish that pro-gun Americans would have more respect for countries with tougher gun laws (and often less gun crime), i.e. just accept the fact that other countries choose to do things differently and it doesn't necessarily make them less "free" than the United States.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,724,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
So if I want to own a few rocket launchers and grenades, I should be "free" to do that too, right?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM

10,394 posts, read 10,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
So if I want to own a few rocket launchers and grenades, I should be "free" to do that too, right?
Yes, of course. Along with a couple of thermonuclear warheads in the garage by the bikes, some nerve agent in the kids room, and biological weaponry in the attic behind those old clothes. C'mon.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Your point?.
TD has no point.

TD is famous for always hijacking threads - and for going totally off topic - like he is doing here.

TD has been warned, repeatedly by the Mods for doing so - even "banned" for periods of time.

Don't feed the Troll

Old 05-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Quote:
Your point?.
TD has no point.

TD is famous for always hijacking threads - and for going totally off topic - like he is doing here.

TD has been warned, repeatedly by the Mods for doing so - even "banned" for periods of time.

Don't feed the Troll
My point is that American gun fetishists only focus on their personal freedoms and completely disregard general safety.

Or maybe my point is that American gun fetishists all believe themselves to be Rambo or Dirty Harry.
A lone American individual will be picked off by organised crime, no matter how well armed he is.
Just like a lone lion poses no treat to a pack of hyenas.
In this regard the criminal element knows how to cooperate with each other.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:22 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,391,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Or maybe my point is that American gun fetishists all believe themselves to be Rambo or Dirty Harry.
I know many people who own firearms - MANY. And NONE OF THEM has a "fetish" as you suggest with their firearms.

NONE OF THEM believe themselves to be "Dirty Harry"

Again, you show your COMPLETE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE of American Society.

I have used my firearm to protect myself and my family. I know others who have done the same. Our laws allow for the American people to have the right to protect ourselves. I'm sorry if your society or your beliefs don't allow for self protection.

OBTW: you watch too many movies - they are FICTON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates