U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:15 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,723,218 times

Advertisements

I think it might have been possible right after the Revolutionary War, when the Constitution was being put in place. Today? Most unlikely because, as Cliffie just said, you'd have to get approval from the voters (and heaven forbid the pro-gun part of the population wound up on the losing side!)

Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,913,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur

Never happen. And shouldn't happen. That said, I am not opposed to gun control.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:07 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,856,381 times
As Gunluvver2 said, it is difficult to define an assault weapon when you don't understand any firearm. The last AWB didn't eliminate the sale of them. They changed the stock, removed the bayonette lug (how many people get stabbed with a bayonette on a rifle now days?) and put in a smaller magazine. Still the same gun with the exact same potential.

And speaking of potential, if the gun grabbers figure out that most hunting rifles are more powerful than EBR's (Evil Black Rifles) they will go after them as well. My AR-15 shoots the .223 cartridge. My niece has a youth model .223 rifle and she is in the 4th grade. Hunting rifles like a .30-30, .30-06, .308 and .300 magnum are all much more powerful. But they aren't all black and scary either. Maybe if they were pink with kitty pictures there wouldn't be as much controversy?

So I stay on topic, there will always be bad guys. As long as there are bad guys there will be guns. If they aren't being sold retail they will be manufactured in garages just like meth is today. I have plans to build both pistols and rifles and I'm not even motivated to get into that hobby.

-Robert

Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Quote:
Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur

Actually it would mark the end of the country as originally envisioned.
Its not possible anyway, its a nice thought to the mindless & a very scary one to realists.
The mark of a moral & decent society is one where people are free. We have that,,,,, for now.
Whats decent about a forced helplessness & the repression of rights in order to create an illusion of saftey?
Thats what we do in prison, more & more we are treating the people like convicts, 'cept of course convicts get free cable & food.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
Not unless you take away alot of freedom by a dictatorship IMO.We can't handle the number of people who would not give them up freely as crimianpo in the first place.Its about as like as thier being no more single parents;well its really not even that likely.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Probably just an (unreachable) ideal. . . it is not possible to pass laws to change human nature, and the last thing I want to see is a "war on guns", similar to the war on drugs, etc., that kind of thing only makes it worse! I am having a hard time understanding why "assult weapons" cannot be banned, however. . . can anyone explain to me the NRA's logic on this one?
Then you need to take some reading comprehension courses.
The second Amendment is all about military arms, not fowling pieces.

Besides that theres no justifiable reason to single out semi automatic military look alikes.
They simply are not used in any significant way by criminals. Its a liberal scare tactic that works great on the gullible clueless folks who follow the leader so well.

Explain to us how we would be safer because they ban the LEGAL ownership of plastic semi auto's?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What do you think would be the disadvantage of an entire culture knowing how go get along with each other, without ever feeling that there was a need for guns?

I once lived in a fairly large Noth American city (St. John's, Newfoundland, pop. 250,000) in which the police did not carry guns. At all. Ever. It was quite a peaceful town, and in all the years I was there, the police never felt like they needed guns. No cop was ever shot. At. The town had been there since 1528, and no policeman ever needed a gun. Yes, people hunted, and used guns. For that purpose.

Suggesting that "everybody" ought to have a gun would have sounded rather preposterous to these people.

I don't understand what makes Camden New Jersey superior to St. John's just because people there have guns.
I bet a bunch of the people there had guns. I will agree that theres little need for the police to carry a gun constantly. If there is a reason that police need them then its a given that the people they are paid to protect need them more. After all, we are the victims.

NJ has very strict gun laws anyway, try to get a carry permit there. A gun is pretty useless if you need to leave it home & locked up.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 PM

11,777 posts, read 15,801,092 times
Quote:
I think neither. Many religious "types" vehemently disagree with gun control and some de-armed societies have been very corrupt. I also think it would take a very corrupt U.S. government that would seek to eliminate any freedom granted by the Constitution.

BTW, yesterday I bought a very nice small caliber lever-action Henry, my first gun purchase in over forty years.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:25 PM

515 posts, read 605,740 times
Yep, utopia. Maybe possible to achieve when all the anti gun advocates go into the ghettos and other dangerous places and talk nice to all the thugs to have them give up their guns. Why hell, I'd even consider giving up mine when that task is accomplished!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,328,951 times
Not to even get into the other issues, which have been covered thoroughly in a number of threads on CD, but in response to the original question about whether it would be possible . . . we have as much chance of having a gun-free nation as we have of having a drug-free nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates