U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 True, but 1 gun nut with a gun can slaughter a whole crowd in a matter of seconds (provided he has enough ammo and a machine gun), which will be impossible if he was only armed with a knife.
If he was only armed with a knife he probably would be easy to overtake by a crowd of people.
Yes... and,

1 thermonuclear warhead nut with a thermonuclear warhead can slaughter a whole city in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a conventional warhead.

1 conventional warhead nut with a conventional warhead can slaughter a whole community in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a RPG.

1 RPG nut with an RPG can slaughter a whole crowd in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a grenade.

1 grenade nut with a grenade can slaughter a whole group in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a gun.

1 gun nut with a gun can slaughter a whole bunch of people in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a sword.

1 sword nut with a sword can slaughter several people in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a knife.

1 knife nut with a knife can slaughter a couple of people in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a stone.

1 stone nut with a stone can slaughter a person or two in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a pencil.

1 pencil nut with a pencil can slaughter a person in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was only armed with a fist.

1 fist nut with a big fists can beat someone to death in a matter of seconds, which will be impossible if he was armed with nothing.

wheew... okay, now…

Question: what do you see in common with all the above scenarios?

Answer: an assailant (a nut).

Banning a tool will not end the psychosis. And as we know, true mass murderers tend to be quite creative in their brutality and don’t all that often use guns.

Would you rather be sitting in a room with a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun, or a mass murderer carrying a scimitar?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71
Quote:
No, defense of my home is my responsibility! I will not sit idle while someone tries to do wrong against my property.

You're ASSuming that I wouldn't protect someone if they were getting mugged, etc. You don't have to be a police officer to do that.
LoL while you're only focusing on your home the organised criminals will have robbed your neighbourhood.
Like I said it is all a numbers game.
It is better to be organised than isolated or alone.
The criminals didn't get organised because they like having tea parties.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
No, defense of my home is my responsibility! I will not sit idle while someone tries to do wrong against my property.

You're ASSuming that I wouldn't protect someone if they were getting mugged, etc. You don't have to be a police officer to do that.

Do you?
Regarding guns, I would probably tend to side more with the pro-gun lobby when it comes to defending your home, but that's where it ends. Of course defending your home should be your right and your responsibility, but I personally would not want to carry a gun around with me in public, nor would I want to be around a bunch of people carrying guns, whether they have a concealed weapons permit, or not.

Personally, it's not that I don't like guns. I've been shooting before and I enjoyed it, but the arrogance displayed by some of the "pro-gun" types tends to put me off.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisC
Quote:
Answer: an assailant (a nut).
Problem: every American citizen can be a nut, so just handing out guns to citizens is just a bad idea.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC Problem: every American citizen can be a nut, so just handing out guns to citizens is just a bad idea.
...and it's not just "nuts" either. There have been a lot of murder-suicides recently, of course involving firearms. Most of the perpetrators of these horrible crimes were not "nuts" to begin with -- many lost jobs, got desperate, saw the pistol in the drawer and took the easy way out, after murdering their wife/kids.

Of course, you can't blame the guns themselves....it's just disturbing.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
.... There have been a lot of murder-suicides recently, .

No there haven't. The graph plots pretty flat on that. Sometimes there are two in the same month or so, but that's hardily a trend.

They are so rare, it is like saying there have been a lot of people who survived falling out of airplanes recently.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BCreass
Quote:
Of course, you can't blame the guns themselves....it's just disturbing.
I'm not blaming the guns either, this is why I'm for gun-control.
Or that in urban areas only certain qualified people do get guns (like the police and army).
But, unfortunately, if guns are easily available to the public you will keep having the problem with these disturbed people.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Quote:
... so just handing out guns to citizens is just a bad idea.
Of course it is. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Some seem to believe that the Police, as well intentioned as they are, can be everywhere, all the time. That is simply not possible.

Protection of self is primarily that of the person, not law enforcement. This would include trying not to put yourself into risky situations, having your home properly secured and so on. During the Holiday season, law enforcement has these PSA's about what NOT TO DO in order to be more safe while shopping at the Malls and so on.

If someone breaks into my home, it is MY responsibility FIRST to try to protect myself and my family. I might not have the time, nor the opportunity, to call 911. I might not have the time, nor the opportunity to push the "panic" button on the security system. It is up to me FIRST for our personal safety.

And no one else's.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some seem to believe that the Police, as well intentioned as they are, can be everywhere, all the time. That is simply not possible.

Protection of self is primarily that of the person, not law enforcement. This would include trying not to put yourself into risky situations, having your home properly secured and so on. During the Holiday season, law enforcement has these PSA's about what NOT TO DO in order to be more safe while shopping at the Malls and so on.

If someone breaks into my home, it is MY responsibility FIRST to try to protect myself and my family. I might not have the time, nor the opportunity, to call 911. I might not have the time, nor the opportunity to push the "panic" button on the security system. It is up to me FIRST for our personal safety.

And no one else's.
Very true, and thank you for posting a sensible, well thought out pro-gun argument that I'm sure you'll find most people will at least understand and respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates