U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 01:51 PM

820 posts, read 1,057,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you guys want Congress to pass a bill to allow you to carry loaded guns in Yellowstone Park or Fenway Park, why don't you just be a man and ask a congressman to introduce a bill to do that, and let the citizenry knowledgeably and openly advise and consent on it.
.......( Snip for brevity)............
They did . The people spoke and Congress listened.

The guns in National Parks measure looks like a done deal.

Passed the Senate with 67 votes .
Approved by the House 279 to 147.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:11 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
What was the name, again, of the "Guns in National Parks Measure"? I don't think that is what it was called. Should there be a "Guns in Fenway Park Measure", too, so Red Sox fans can defend themselves at the ballpark when the Yankees are in town? In what way are Fenway Park and Yellowstone Park different in that regard?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 PM

820 posts, read 1,057,917 times
Quote:
What was the name, again, of the "Guns in National Parks Measure"? I don't think that is what it was called. Should there be a "Guns in Fenway Park Measure", too, so Red Sox fans can defend themselves at the ballpark when the Yankees are in town? In what way are Fenway Park and Yellowstone Park different in that regard?
"Gun Control" is dead.
Find another hobby.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,335,973 times
Quote:
The Yankees actually visit Fenway much more frequently. Also, fewer bears at Fenway. Cubs every so often, though.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't law abiding permit holding citizens be allowed to carry into Fenway park?

But, yes they are very different. You cant get chewed on by a wild animal in Fenway park. Its also private property & subject to the owners rules. National parks are federal land & as such it seems obvious that federally protected rights be respected there. Common sense gun law.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:56 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,120,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
According to the legal definitions, ANY CITIZEN is a subject, whether state or federal or U.S. citizen.

Proof: http://www.city-data.com/forum/8744657-post263.html
Title 10 USC Sec. 311. Militia: composition and classes
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, CITIZENS of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia areó
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
Title 50 USC Sec. 453. Registration (Selective Service)
(a)...it shall be the duty of every male CITIZEN of the United States, and every other male person RESIDING in the United States, who, on the day or days fixed for the first or any subsequent registration, is between the ages of eighteen and twenty-six, to present himself for and submit to registration at such time or times and place or places, and in such manner, as shall be determined by proclamation of the President and by rules and regulations prescribed hereunder. ...
Remember, pursuant to the Declaration of Independence, all men are endowed by their Creator with inalienable rights to life, liberty and absolute ownership. Governments are instituted to SECURE said rights to life, liberty, etc. But since CITIZENS are militia, and are subject to activation by the Commander in Chief or State governor, ordered to fight, and if necessary, die, I believe I have proven my point that a CITIZEN is a subject, not a sovereign, from 1789 onward. He does NOT have inalienable rights to life, liberty and property.

In the first place title 50 was not written until 1916,(see creation of COUNCIL OF NATIONAL DEFENSE) long after most Americans had become
14th Amendment citizens.
Prior to the 14th Amendment, a Citizen was a Citizen of his State and as such was a citizen of the "Many States" He was Sovergn with the same status as a King. His rights were inalienable, given by God; therefore he was not a subject to anyone The 14th Amendment gave freedom to the slaves, and since the government was giving them their freedom instead of it being an inalienable right given by God, they were now subjects of the government. From there all the government had to do was to get the rest of the people to voluntarily become 14th Amendment citizens by agreeing to go along with a series of corporate laws which included tax laws, voting registration, social security, bank accounts, drivers license, and vehicle registration. Today most of your life is controlled by corporate laws, which you have agreed to, and signed your name to a contract. Most courts you will ever be in will be corporate courts. If you do not believe it do some research on what the yellow fringe around the flag in most courts means, it is a flag of Admiralty.
If you really want to know the truth it is not in U.S. codes, it is in Supreme Court rulings like Dread Scott, and Slaughterhouse Cases 83 US, where the Justices have to explain their rulings.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,253,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think that the NRA feels that it isn't a good idea to bargain away any portion of the rights granted to you in the constitution. To me, it is at least an acknowledgeable argument to say "the 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about the right to keep and bear assault weapons", but the definition of "assault weapons" has been subject to a lot of interpretation and revision and letting a growing federal government run with that ball is more than a little dangerous.

"Assault Weapon" sounds scary and a great many who are not saavy when it comes to firearms are able to blindly jump on the bandwagon that no one should have anything that sounds that scary and feel pretty righteous in doing so. The problem is that legislation banning weapons that have truly have zero practical or enjoyment value (i.e. a weapon capable of fully automatic fire or burst fire or a non-sporting weapon with a caliber exceeding 0.50) has been in effect since 1934 (google "National Firearms Act").

Honestly, I don't think that an AWB will fly. The climate in 1994 was considerably different. Since then, the AR-15 has become the best selling and most widely owned rifle in the United States. More and more people are enjoying shooting sports and banning these weapons will have a much broader impact than it did in '94. It would be hard to write-off the "Tea Bagging" that an AWB would incite.
This is a very very good video of how the term "assault weapon" means little to nothing except to scare the uneducated into allowing the stripping of our rights.

YouTube - The Truth About Semi-Auto Firearms

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 PM

10,336 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
This is a very very good video of how the term "assault weapon" means little to nothing except to scare the uneducated into allowing the stripping of our rights.

Good video. I grew up surrounded by guns. My father loves to tinker with guns. Knowing the difference between these sorts of weapons has always been second nature for me, but I'm sure there are many people who do not understand the differences. This is a great video to get them up to speed. After all, if you are going to try to legislate something away (or not), you owe it to yourself and everybody else to have a clue about what you're dealing with.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,362,012 times
Excellent video. Thank you.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Sorry. "Excellent Videos" are not entitled "The Truth About . . . " That is an absolute tipoff that the person who financed the production of the video has an interest in the selection of what is true and what is not true. If the video is "the Truth About" anything, they won't need to use that in the title.

Go to YouTube and search using the term "the truth about". You will get 203,000 hits. Imgaine how much "truth" you will know after watching them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates