U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,837,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sorry. "Excellent Videos" are not entitled "The Truth About . . . " That is an absolute tipoff that the person who financed the production of the video has an interest in the selection of what is true and what is not true. If the video is "the Truth About" anything, they won't need to use that in the title.

Go to YouTube and search using the term "the truth about". You will get 203,000 hits. Imgaine how much "truth" you will know after watching them all.
hmmm. so it is not true?

Quote:
All 203,000 of them? No. But judging from ChrisC's summary, it wouldn't have told me anything I didn't already know.
Quote:
Why should I spend ten minutes of my time watching a video that tells me a "truth" that I already know?
wait, so it is true? your opinion seems to be changing.

i'm as suspicious of supposed truthfulness as anyone. but the only thing that i thought he should have added to his summary is the fact that civilians can actually buy full auto weapons with enormous amounts of cash, background checks, and registration.

other than that, it was pretty accurate. but then again, as you just said, you already know...

...even though you earlier disputed its quality based upon its name.

makes me curious to see your answer to tin's question.

aaron out.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

As you can see above, everyone interprets differently. I encourage you to do so if you want to be taken seriously. I am more than open to reading/watching any of your links to support your arguments.

-Robert
OK, I watched "The Truth About . . ." Have I now acquired some magical legitimacy to discuss the second amendment? I'm now in the inner circle and can be taken seriously? Do people who watched the video get a special little icon on their user-ID that authorizes them to take part in the discussions on guns? Wow. that was easy. That was almost as easy as becoming a member of the NRA.

I did not dispute the "quality based on its name" I disputed the urgency with which I should view anything based on its name. I have a video cam. I can produce a video called The Truth About (Anything You Want), and I can say whatever I want, and post it on YouTube. The likelihood that it will be truth does not rise by putting those three words on the title board.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,494,419 times
Quote:
OK, I watched "The Truth About . . ." Have I now acquired some magical legitimacy to discuss the second amendment? I'm now in the inner circle and can be taken seriously? Wow. that was easy.
Ummmm... You might need to do some other things in order to be taken seriously.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM

3,975 posts, read 3,864,888 times
Thanks ChrisC. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
the only thing that i thought he should have added to his summary is the fact that civilians can actually buy full auto weapons with enormous amounts of cash, background checks, and registration.
Out of curiosity, I did some quick browsing and found very little under 10 grand. Most were upwards of 20 grand. So you better have a big bank accound and a spotless record or you can't get a fully automatic weapon.

-Robert

Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,837,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Thanks ChrisC. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Out of curiosity, I did some quick browsing and found very little under 10 grand. Most were upwards of 20 grand. So you better have a big bank accound and a spotless record or you can't get a fully automatic weapon.

-Robert
i know that. i am just saying that they failed to mention it, and when it comes to debates like these, i like to see the info up front so that people don't go around yelling about lies and sneaky deals and stuff.

either way, looks like the content in the video is legit, huh, jtur?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

either way, looks like the content in the video is legit, huh, jtur?
How many times do I have to say that the central issue addressed by the video is essentially correct, and I never said nor implied that it was not, and is information that I already knew, and the only reason I wasted ten minutes watching it was so I could tell a bunch of trolls, who asked me over and over again, that I wasted ten minutes watching it, in order to get the little magic icon that validates my participation in this forum, and proves that I, too, am now a genius, since I now know the truth about one of 203,000 things. How come Great Debates is populated mostly by third-graders?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 AM

27,903 posts, read 33,462,993 times
Now that gun sales are up tremendously I think they missed their window...

Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,931,395 times
Quote:
How many times do I have to say that the central issue addressed by the video is essentially correct, and I never said nor implied that it was not, and is information that I already knew, and the only reason I wasted ten minutes watching it was so I could tell a bunch of trolls, who asked me over and over again, that I wasted ten minutes watching it, in order to get the little magic icon that validates my participation in this forum, and proves that I, too, am now a genius, since I now know the truth about one of 203,000 things. How come Great Debates is populated mostly by third-graders?
The biggest problem you have in participation in this forum is that you tend to use terms and phrases that are offensive to firearms enthusiasts. There is another particular poster who likes to pop in here and do the same thing. "Gun nuts' Gun fetishists' 'paranoid wackjobs' on and on it has gone. I , personally, find these terms offensive on a very deep level, and after such rhetoric has been tossed around, it's very difficult to have a rational discussion with the folks who like to use these descriptions. It's the same thing as calling a black person the N word and then wanting to talk race relations with that same person. Such terminology shakes to wide a loop and pulls in to many strays with the wrong brands, if you get my meaning. After a while nobody wants to even try to be civil because it has failed to many times and it's easier to just get bunched up and swing back. Thus, you get to hear stuff like 'wild howling' 'wacko hippie' , "sheeple' etc. It's just to easy of a hole to fall into. If we were discussing another subject besides gun rights, say, literature, and we had never fought it out on a gun rights thread and didn't know each others views at all, it's quite likely the conversation would be quite tame and even scholarly. When emotions get out of control on a hot topic and names get slung, you can kiss rational discussion goodbye. No matter the educational level of the participants.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The biggest problem you have in participation in this forum is that you tend to use terms and phrases that are offensive to firearms enthusiasts. )
When you used "wildly left wing" and "media howling" in your OP to a thread, you're a fine one to complain about the biggest problem that "I" have.

If you don't like being lumped in with the gun nuts, politely complain to the gun nuts, not to me. They are making a really bad name for firearms owners, just like speeders and road hogs give car drivers a bad name.. If you are not a gun nut, why are so offended when I call people that? Or is it your view that there is no such thing as a gun nut?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-22-2009 at 12:57 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,329,736 times
Quote:

So, are you for or against stronger restrictions on assault weapons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates