U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Wether or not guns make the streets safer is irrelevant.
Yeah, if forgot that owning guns is simply the American way.
Just like smoking.
I mean, whether guns make the streets safer is as irrelevant as the fact that smoking is hazardous to your health, right?
Americans have the right to smoke wherever and whenever they want.
Consequences be damned.

 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 AM
 
9,912 posts, read 12,183,162 times
Reputation: 7257
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The only way a gun-free America could work is if the rest of the world didn't have guns or if no one anywhere could get them. And even then, people who want to kill other people will find other ways of doing it, such as knives(even kitchen knives), baseball bats, boots(as many Neo-Nazis use for killing people), hammers, chainsaws,etc. Any tool can be a murder weapon if you make it one.
Welcome to Australia, we hope you enjoy your stay.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker Yeah, if forgot that owning guns is simply the American way.
Just like smoking.
I mean, whether guns make the streets safer is as irrelevant as the fact that smoking is hazardous to your health, right?
Americans have the right to smoke wherever and whenever they want.
Consequences be damned.

Well, you could just mind your business. Especially since you are unable to form cohesive thoughts. Show me a single instance where banning guns actually irrevocably makes streets safer? I can show you countless instances of citizens protecting themselves & preventing crime with them. Wheres the stats showing that armed folks are the targets of choice for criminals?
maybe you stay away from the drug dens for awhile.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 09:32 AM
 
6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Reputation: 9894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur
A "gun-free USA" would be impossible because law-abiding gun owners will turn in their guns and only the criminals will have guns... What does gun ownership have to do with being "moral and decent"? Plenty of moral and decent folks enjoy using their weapons for hunting, target shooting and other normal and enjoyable pursuits.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Yeah, if forgot that owning guns is simply the American way.
If an American wishes to own a firearm, they may.

So yes - it is the American way.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: vagabond
2,631 posts, read 4,831,584 times
Reputation: 1300
don't even get into the discussion with tricky. i know that most of you have noticed a trend in his posts–where he ignores everything you say, deflects endlessly, twists words and comes up with straw man arguments. it is not even worth getting into it with him.

in the mean time, despite what some dutchmen are saying, none of us are arguing that everyone needs to be armed. funny how that keeps coming up despite the fact that we've clarified this point over and over.

if i want to own a weapon, and i want the freedom to own that weapon, i can do so without making it mandatory that everyone else has to go out and buy one too. straw man argument.

we also know that it is possible to own a gun for self defense purposes without thinking that we are invincible. again, straw man argument. this is all that some gun control fetishists can come up with (like how the generalized, insulting, ignorant term can go both ways?).

we also know that criminals don't go after those that are armed, no matter how overconfident they think they are. why? because they might get shot. they are the very definition of a coward, and the claim that criminals will go after armed targets is just nonsensical. maybe predators in the wild will start to go after the toughest prey too, simply because of how cocky they might be...

ludicrous, baseless, tengential deflection.

that's 0/3 for those that are counting (technically, it's like 0/1,000 or so, but most of us got tired of trying to keep up with it a few months ago...).

we have had some people on this forum that support draconian gun control measures that can at least hold an intelligent conversation. this guy is not one of them.

aaron out.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
I know,,, but he makes it so easy.
 
Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
Show me a single instance where banning guns actually irrevocably makes streets safer?
In The Netherlands we don't have any drive-by shootings or student shootings.
Or death by cop where the perp kills or wounds lotsa innocent bystanders to force the cops to kill him.
These facts alone make our streets safer than America's.
But since ya already posted that the safety in the street is irrelevant to owning a gun, I don’t see why my answer would interest you.


Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
If an American wishes to own a firearm, they may.

So yes - it is the American way.
And this is why freedom of religion (where whatever you believe does not have to be grounded in reality) and holding on to ancient traditions will be the downfall of a democracy, because it only encourages mob behaviour.
And mob justice (especially lynching) has proven in the past that mob behaviour isn't rational at all.
Then again, in American history lynching black American slaves wasn't even considered a crime.
 
Old 05-31-2009, 12:47 AM
 
9,912 posts, read 12,183,162 times
Reputation: 7257
1 dead, 3 wounded in Dutch shooting rampage (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/11/international/i013758D20.DTL&hw=gun&sn=046&sc=262 - broken link)
 
Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Quote:
1 dead, 3 wounded in Dutch shooting rampage
Which still don't qualify as a drive-by shooting, student shooting or death by cop.
You'll always have loser wackos who go home to pick up a weapon because they can't win an argument.
Which exactly is the reason to not allow everyone to own guns.

Last edited by Tricky D; 05-31-2009 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top