U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times

Advertisements

More lives saved & crime prevented by armed civilians along with some honest facts about guns & gun control towards the end of the article. If you are antigun, are for further gun control, or a "Gun free" USA you are preventing honest people from saving lives.

Norfolk Crime Examiner: Oklahoma pharmacist kills armed robber, saves the lives of his staff

Quote:
Here are a few facts about armed Americans:
-Armed citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as the police do every year in this country (1,527 to 606).

-A 1996 University of Chicago study concluded that states which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rates by 8.5 percent, rapes by 5 percent, aggravated assaults by 7 percent, and robbery by 3 percent.

-According to the National Safety Council, with guns being used 2.5 million times a year in self defense against criminals, firearms are actually used more than 80 times more often to protect lives, rather than to take lives.

-A 1979 Justice Department study concluded that of more than 32,000 attempted rapes, 32 percent were actually committed. But when a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3 percent of the attempted rapes were actually committed.

-Another Justice Department study found that 57 percent of felons agreed that “criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running the police.”

Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Why would we even desire such a thing? Have you never been hunting for crying out loud?
This actually brings up a point that I had not really considered...

A "gunfree USA" would be an ecological disaster. Can anyone tell me why?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,356,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This actually brings up a point that I had not really considered...

A "gunfree USA" would be an ecological disaster. Can anyone tell me why?

Too many stinkin deer!!!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
BINGO! And too many Jack Rabbits and coyotes as well, which causes all kinds of problems as they all breed out of control and decimate the food needed by all the other species. (yotes exepted in this as they would have a grand old time on all the dead critters but the overabundance of food would cause their population to flat explode.....bad thing)Managed hunting is a vital tool in population control and without all the fees associated with it there would be no funding for wildlife programs. The tax and spend types would have to raise taxes somewhere else to keep game officers, bioligists and such in the field. Poaching would run amok, I'm sure the bad guys would rush to turn in their guns and the black market for wildlife would go crazy. Can you say Africa? One need only look at the situation with wildlife management on that continent to see the future of our game animals without hunting and the firearms industry here. Oh , I could go on and on but the point has been made methinks.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Don't forget about the unchecked feral hog infestation that would ensue.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
BINGO! And too many Jack Rabbits and coyotes as well, which causes all kinds of problems as they all breed out of control and decimate the food needed by all the other species. (yotes exepted in this as they would have a grand old time on all the dead critters but the overabundance of food would cause their population to flat explode.....bad thing)Managed hunting is a vital tool in population control and without all the fees associated with it there would be no funding for wildlife programs. The tax and spend types would have to raise taxes somewhere else to keep game officers, bioligists and such in the field. Poaching would run amok, I'm sure the bad guys would rush to turn in their guns and the black market for wildlife would go crazy. Can you say Africa? One need only look at the situation with wildlife management on that continent to see the future of our game animals without hunting and the firearms industry here. Oh , I could go on and on but the point has been made methinks.
By the way... "you must spread some reputation around before giving it to NVPlumber again"

Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Oh COME AWWWHHHHNNNNN GUYS! I just wanna sit around with you guys and ladies, link arms and sing Kuuhm-Buy-Yah! And talk to the Spirit Bear. And go in peaceful harmony with the starving deer.

Watch for a growing "educational" pressure regarding the ecological costs of meat consumption (how much grain is raised, harvested and fed to cattle for each pound of meat. [It's tons, actually]) Macleans' magazine (Canada's version of TIME) did an article on this very thing last week, and came to the conclusion that meat consumption was on its way out in this changing world.

I wonder: did anyone suggest to the author of the article the concept of reduction of population? Nah... that would also reduce taxes....

Soon enough, I predict hunting and meat consumption will be far less culturally acceptable than it is now. I'd say right now it's only tolerated by the "We Know Besters".

To the OP; again: an impossible scenario. Why? Because there will alway be me, hiding in the hills from those who want to psychologically enslave those who do not agree. Thus; it can't be gun-FREE. Long as I'm alive.

Last edited by rifleman; 06-09-2009 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,356,692 times
I will be right there with you (in spirit...geographically different area).

I had to chuckle when I was telling an avid hunter friend of mine about this thread. He commented to me about my being an anti-hunter, pro gun person. I asked him how he figures me to be anti hunter....and he answers me with...well, you don't hunt. I say, I am a GIRL and I don't like to GUT anything...thank you very much! Sheesh...but I told him I would never turn in my guns and he laughed and said, when they come knocking on your door you will have to.....then I really began to full on guffaw laugh!!! As I told him NO I WOULD NOT TURN IN ANY, NOT ONE OF MY GUNS!! He looked shocked...as he asked...would you go to jail?

I stated, unequivocally, You Better Believe it! There will NEVER be a gunfree US of A. Can't happen! Thank God!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 PM

530 posts, read 568,292 times
Quote:
I will be right there with you (in spirit...geographically different area).

I had to chuckle when I was telling an avid hunter friend of mine about this thread. He commented to me about my being an anti-hunter, pro gun person. I asked him how he figures me to be anti hunter....and he answers me with...well, you don't hunt. I say, I am a GIRL and I don't like to GUT anything...thank you very much! Sheesh...but I told him I would never turn in my guns and he laughed and said, when they come knocking on your door you will have to.....then I really began to full on guffaw laugh!!! As I told him NO I WOULD NOT TURN IN ANY, NOT ONE OF MY GUNS!! He looked shocked...as he asked...would you go to jail?

I stated, unequivocally, You Better Believe it! There will NEVER be a gunfree US of A. Can't happen! Thank God!
I know i came into this a little late, but has anyone mentioned that the reason Hitler was so successful was that he talked the people into giving up their guns for "world peace"...boy, that didn't happen, did it?
Also has anyone looked at the rise in Australias crime rate after thay banned guns?
I do think there should be strickter rules on them, and lets face it no one needs a fully automatic gun. However when the people have no way to protect themselves from the government, who will? Just a thought!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I know i came into this a little late, but has anyone mentioned that the reason Hitler was so successful was that he talked the people into giving up their guns for "world peace"...boy, that didn't happen, did it?
Also has anyone looked at the rise in Australias crime rate after thay banned guns?
I do think there should be strickter rules on them, and lets face it no one needs a fully automatic gun. However when the people have no way to protect themselves from the government, who will? Just a thought!
I agree with you up to the part in bold. If we ever end up with a Hitler in the white house automatic weapons are exactly what we would need. It'll be real hard to protect yourself from the gov't with bolt action deer rifles.

But besides that we dont need stricter rules to take them away from the average guy, thats already been done.

Guns should be like cars. You can buy a Yugo or a Lamborghini no sweat, its how you use them that matters. Owning a car capable of going 240MPH doesn't mean you can or should. Owning a select fire rifle is the same. When was the last time someone legally in posession of a select fire weapon commited a crime with it? I bet its easier to find a guy with a Camero causing death than a guy with an M16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates