U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,356,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I do think there should be strickter rules on them, and lets face it no one needs a fully automatic gun. However when the people have no way to protect themselves from the government, who will? Just a thought!
Not picking on you here..just using this to make a point here...there are rules O'plenty on the books...how about let's enforce them? Personal case in point.

My father is a local barkeep. The neighborhood has gone south, but he insisted on staying where he had been working most of his life. A thug came in and put a gun to his face to rob him, and for whatever reason, decides at some point to pull the trigger. Luckily for all of us, his gun jammed. The regulars in the bar use this moment to jump the thug and put him in the hospital. Sooooo,

This all finally gets to court. The MANDATORY sentence in PA for a crime committed with a gun is 5 years. What do the lawyers plead him down to??!! 3 years!! HOW DOES THAT WORK I ASK YOU!!! How is that a mandatory sentence of 5??? If you ask me, he should get whatever the sentence is for murder, because that is exactly what he tried to do.

ENFORCE the law, CONVICT the criminals, APPLY the sentences. I have no opinion , due to our families personal experience that guns should be more strictly regulated. In fact, I wish someone in that bar had a gun and has shot that SOB because, he is a career criminal.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 AM

3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
Quote:
Also has anyone looked at the rise in Australias crime rate after thay banned guns?
We have an Austrailian posting in this thread.

Quote:
I do think there should be strickter rules on them,
Give some examples of what isn't strict enough? How would you change things?

Quote:
lets face it no one needs a fully automatic gun.
As Tin Knocker said, no one NEEDS these things but they sure must be fun. Have you looked at the prices of a full auto gun? They start at about $10,000 for a simple 9mm and go up from there. They are 'luxury' item that only a few people can afford. If you want to shoot it at today's ammo prices you better have a big bank account. Have you looked into the process of obtaining one? The ATF crawls through all aspects of your life looking for any little thing that will raise a red flag.

-Robert

Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 AM

530 posts, read 568,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Not picking on you here..just using this to make a point here...there are rules O'plenty on the books...how about let's enforce them? Personal case in point.

My father is a local barkeep. The neighborhood has gone south, but he insisted on staying where he had been working most of his life. A thug came in and put a gun to his face to rob him, and for whatever reason, decides at some point to pull the trigger. Luckily for all of us, his gun jammed. The regulars in the bar use this moment to jump the thug and put him in the hospital. Sooooo,

This all finally gets to court. The MANDATORY sentence in PA for a crime committed with a gun is 5 years. What do the lawyers plead him down to??!! 3 years!! HOW DOES THAT WORK I ASK YOU!!! How is that a mandatory sentence of 5??? If you ask me, he should get whatever the sentence is for murder, because that is exactly what he tried to do.

ENFORCE the law, CONVICT the criminals, APPLY the sentences. I have no opinion , due to our families personal experience that guns should be more strictly regulated. In fact, I wish someone in that bar had a gun and has shot that SOB because, he is a career criminal.
Amen to that! I'm just saying that the average joe, doesn't need an uzi(is that how you spell it). I myself have a right to carry permit...and I do carry. I work in some shady parts of town in ER's, so the trip there is give or take...lol. Anyone who committed the above mentioned crime, should be given a mandatory life sentence(for pulling the trigger) or better yet...perhaps it should have been handled before the cops got there....just saying. Pick on someone else for a while, i'm on your side....and i vote....lol.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Give some examples of what isn't strict enough? How would you change things?

As Tin Knocker said, no one NEEDS these things but they sure must be fun. Have you looked at the prices of a full auto gun? They start at about $10,000 for a simple 9mm and go up from there. They are 'luxury' item that only a few people can afford. If you want to shoot it at today's ammo prices you better have a big bank account. Have you looked into the process of obtaining one? The ATF crawls through all aspects of your life looking for any little thing that will raise a red flag.

-Robert
We all know that if someone wanted a gun of this calibre it would probably be more easily obtained on the streets anyway. I think what i said was taken wrong....I am 100 % for law abiding citizens having guns, its those not so law abiding ones that scare me!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,183,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Actually an Australian started this thread although I'm not sure he's been back to post.

As to the crime stats since the buy back I suspect that he and I would have very different views on what exactly is happening with the crime rates. I think there's been a change to reporting so that the figures look better than they really are. If it's not reported OR not taken seriously by the police it doesn't end up in the stats. There are other Australians that would argue that the stats say things are better.

I don't believe the stats.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Actually an Australian started this thread although I'm not sure he's been back to post.

As to the crime stats since the buy back I suspect that he and I would have very different views on what exactly is happening with the crime rates. I think there's been a change to reporting so that the figures look better than they really are. If it's not reported OR not taken seriously by the police it doesn't end up in the stats. There are other Australians that would argue that the stats say things are better.

I don't believe the stats.
Actually, i read stats that violent crime was up 87%...i'll try to go back and find that scource and let you know!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,183,162 times
Quote:
Actually, i read stats that violent crime was up 87%...i'll try to go back and find that scource and let you know!
No worries, but be aware whatever you find, particularly for the state of Victoria, the stats will probably not be a true representation of the situation simply because the police are not charging violent offenders the same way as they once were. It's been a huge problem here.

Sort of like the attitude has been if we don't report it, OR we charge with lesser crimes it's not really happening.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
No worries, but be aware whatever you find, particularly for the state of Victoria, the stats will probably not be a true representation of the situation simply because the police are not charging violent offenders the same way as they once were. It's been a huge problem here.

Sort of like the attitude has been if we don't report it, OR we charge with lesser crimes it's not really happening.
Well, i do remember reading that within 3-6 months that violent crime had gone way, way up. It also stands to reason if innocent people can't defend themselves then the criminals(who have guns anyway) will prey on them.......

Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 AM

3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
Quote:
We all know that if someone wanted a gun of this calibre it would probably be more easily obtained on the streets anyway.
Probably not. I'm already paranoid about keeping my weapons safe from others and my most expensive model is around $1,200. If I had a $10k+ full auto gun then it would be more of an investment than a fun to shoot gun. It would rarely leave the safe. What I'm getting at is there are very few full auto guns floating around in the hands of criminals. The few that are in the hands of criminals were probably smuggled in illegally. (Just my opinion, no facts to back this up.)

That being said, if I did have the money I'd like something like this (http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_002.htm - broken link).

Quote:
its those not so law abiding ones that scare me!
You live in Memphis so no wonder that is a concern. I see it in the news every day and the spillover down here. That's why I just received my CWP and I'm looking for an inside-the-waistband holster.

-Robert

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,356,692 times
Quote:
Amen to that! I'm just saying that the average joe, doesn't need an uzi(is that how you spell it). I myself have a right to carry permit...and I do carry. I work in some shady parts of town in ER's, so the trip there is give or take...lol. Anyone who committed the above mentioned crime, should be given a mandatory life sentence(for pulling the trigger) or better yet...perhaps it should have been handled before the cops got there....just saying. Pick on someone else for a while, i'm on your side....and i vote....lol.
Thanks for your agreement! But now you are using the same argument the anti-gun folks use....'They don't NEED' this weapon or that. Who decides what I need and for what purpose? As mentioned earlier, I most certainly would NEED an uzi if I had to go toe to toe with the military of the USA as ordered by a corrupt government....It could happen...

I likely would not have that weapon in my arsenal should that day come, but I would be very , very , grateful to those that did have It's a slippery slope argument....beginning the erosion of a right eventually leads to the loss, in it's entirety of that right.
No thanks...I want the entire right, in it's glory full on - thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates