U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,955,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So is the majority of our gun crime. Home invasions, while quite sensational, are relatively rare here.

Home invasions are actually, and unfortunately, relatively common here (Phoenix Metro area).

And, it was during a break in at my home, I was forced to shoot and kill the intruder (he was threatening to kill my wife and child)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 PM

6,976 posts, read 4,988,011 times
Good to know. Is it the semi-automatics that are an issue then?

I didn't say criminals are fair. I'm telling you how it is here. That criminals are less likly here to carry firearms. Now your criminals could be quite different. It's a different society. I said that the whole notion that outlaws will be the only ones carrying guns in the event of gun control is obviously untrue since we have gun control here and Canadians are not dying by the wayside.[/quote] Semi autos are a hot debate right now. Autos are long gone for the average guy. The breadth of the regulation the government would like to instill on semi autos is we shooter type major heartburn. Registration, regulation, store them in an armory, they are not suitable for 'sporting purpose', average folks don't 'need' a service style rifle blah blaah blah. I own several service style weapons. I use them for competition and occasionaly for varmint shooting and quite often just to shoot for fun. Thats nobodies business but mine. The gun haters and the government just need to stay out of my affairs and all is well. Criminals here have always been able and willing to obtain and use firearms and restricting people like me in our ownership of arms will do no good at all in controlling the bad guys. OK, so Canadians are not dying by the wayside from armed criminals and your citizenry is heavily regulated in firearms ownership. Does your criminal element not use illegal firearms at all in respect of that fact then? I'm thining I need to look up some violent crime data on your fair nation. My interest is piqued. At any rate, the US and Canada are two seperate cultures ansd what works for you'uns up there, in terms of firearms rights, will not work here. Firearms are a part of our culture and lifestyle in a way that Canadians find to be alien. The shooting sports are not that big up there. I'm not talking hunting. I'm talking about IPSC/USPSA, Steel Challenge, CMP, NRA Bullseye, IDPA, PPC, center and rim fire Sillouhette and the list goes on.The latter is the much maligned 'gun culture' and 'gun nuts' that anti firearms types harp about so much. Yea, real nutcases we are. Simply because we want our firearms traditions preserved and don't wish to be treated like criminals or potential criminals, because of our interest in shooting, by left wing elitist snobs preaching nonsense about non violence and tolerance and practicing quite the opposite when it comes to the shooting culture.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,712,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
No doubt. My point was illegal weapons. What's your point?
The point is, we are a leading manufacturer of armaments. Some of your citizens likely , legally purchased these weapons, and either sold them on the black market-illegally, or didn't secure them properly and they were stolen from them-making them illegally owned, or they were lost - and found by someone who then owned it - illegally, or they used them in a crime and then claimed they were stolen but never reported - giving the illusion of illegality.

Get the point now? That is HOW guns become illegally owned. The manufacturers only sell guns LEGALLY. It is what happens beyond that point that makes them illegal.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,472,041 times
Didn't secure them properly and they were stolen????

Isn't stealing a crime?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
Didn't secure them properly and they were stolen????

Isn't stealing a crime?
Of course it is, but my point was Netwit made it seem as though the US was selling 'illegal guns' to Canada because they are made here. I was only pointing out how they 'become' illegal. They aren't illegal by nature of being American made.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Home invasions are actually, and unfortunately, relatively common here (Phoenix Metro area).

And, it was during a break in at my home, I was forced to shoot and kill the intruder (he was threatening to kill my wife and child)
And I feel I have to comment here Greatday, how tragic for you! This is something that all gun owners face and must be prepared and willing to do. It is not something that any of us ever EVER want to do or hope to have to do.

I am sorry you and your family was placed into such a situation by a criminal and that you must now carry that responsibilty with you always. You did the right thing, your God given, and American responsibilty to defend and protect your family. Thank you for having the courage to do so! There is one less thief in this Nation of Thieves thanks to your Courage!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM

2,671 posts, read 3,734,494 times
Here is what the future holds for the USA if gun controllers have their way.

YouTube - Gun bans - Don't think it can happen, watch

GL2

Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,117,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Here is what the future holds for the USA if gun controllers have their way.

YouTube - Gun bans - Don't think it can happen, watch

GL2
I can't even finish watching that...

Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM

I'm nauseated that I did finish watching that......

Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 PM

87 posts, read 188,715 times
my dad wants me to put his opinion on here for him.having a gun free usa is unrealistic and against the constitution and being a texan you would have a hard time with that as long as we are part of the union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates