U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,443,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Anyone know how many guns this thread as caused to be bought.
I hope a lot but I agree with Tin Knocker, "O" has been a great gun salesman.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,407,770 times
That is because Obama and his crew are trying to ban them. Why they are trying to make it so you need a license to by ammo (like in the People's Republic of NJ) . So everyone is buying what they can while they can. It's is tough to even get ammo in several states currently.

We reload, so for the time being, we are OK...but they aren't really full loads, so perhaps we best go dig up some ammo as well. I don't think that one magazine of hollow points will be enough if all heck breaks loose....

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 AM

738 posts, read 1,651,957 times
I couldn't find 22 rounds any where in town and was told I would have to wait two weeks. I guess target shooting will have to wait.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 AM
ako

140 posts, read 301,283 times
It's always scared me that ordinary people are allowed to have guns. But then again all the times I've been to the US I've never even seen a gun, or seen somebody held at gunpoint, or been shot at, so I guess it's not as bad as it sounds.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM

43,475 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
It's always scared me that ordinary people are allowed to have guns. But then again all the times I've been to the US I've never even seen a gun, or seen somebody held at gunpoint, or been shot at, so I guess it's not as bad as it sounds.
Again, forming opinions with absolutely no information.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 AM
ako

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Again, forming opinions with absolutely no information.
My god, like you said it's just my OPINION. I need information for an opinion? It's just how I feel. If you don't agree with it that's fine.

Give me a break.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 AM

43,475 posts, read 52,497,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
My god, like you said it's just my OPINION. I need information for an opinion? It's just how I feel. If you don't agree with it that's fine.

Give me a break.

Is this for real? You have an opinion on something based on no real factual information?

This is exactly what I am talking about. And these are the kind of people (not you, specifically) who want to make policy.

And yes, I think most reasonable and intelligent people who want to be taken seriously go look up information and get all the facts they can (or at least within reason) before they form an opinion and publically announce it. At least I do.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:36 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,407,770 times
ako....I was just going to ask why you felt that way? Not in a hostile way, as in a genuine way... A lot of times there are good reasons someone feels the way they do, and given information or an answer to a question, one can feel better. Sometimes, we just feel a certain way too. My best friend hates guns...feels the same way you do. Nothing I say can change her mind...lol! Sometimes, its comments like the above are reasons why 'we' get labeled 'nuts'..eh...

So, if you are willing/able...is there a reason you feel the way you do? I am an 'ordinary' person who has guns. I have a permit to carry. I am a Girl scout leader, I attend church, I have an 11 year old daughter. I don't hunt. I work part time. If I had my weapon on me, you would never see it unless I needed it. I would probably be one of the last persons one would expect to have one. My reasons? Don't mess with me or my family. I live near a big city. There was a shooting rampage at a local mall - a man tackled the crazy woman with her gun (Sylvia Segrist) - no one had a weapon to stop her with. I like to beat the guys at the local shooting range...it's fun...lol!

Ask me questions if you like as well! Maybe a good dialogue will help some folks as well!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:02 AM
ako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
ako....I was just going to ask why you felt that way? Not in a hostile way, as in a genuine way... A lot of times there are good reasons someone feels the way they do, and given information or an answer to a question, one can feel better. Sometimes, we just feel a certain way too. My best friend hates guns...feels the same way you do. Nothing I say can change her mind...lol! Sometimes, its comments like the above are reasons why 'we' get labeled 'nuts'..eh...

So, if you are willing/able...is there a reason you feel the way you do? I am an 'ordinary' person who has guns. I have a permit to carry. I am a Girl scout leader, I attend church, I have an 11 year old daughter. I don't hunt. I work part time. If I had my weapon on me, you would never see it unless I needed it. I would probably be one of the last persons one would expect to have one. My reasons? Don't mess with me or my family. I live near a big city. There was a shooting rampage at a local mall - a man tackled the crazy woman with her gun (Sylvia Segrist) - no one had a weapon to stop her with. I like to beat the guys at the local shooting range...it's fun...lol!

Ask me questions if you like as well! Maybe a good dialogue will help some folks as well!
Well, this is a huge thread, so many of the points I want to say have probably been said already.

But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.

I know that most people buy guns for self-defence against other people who have guns, but I'd prefer it if nobody had guns in the first place.

Only my opinion though.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:28 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,784,477 times
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie
Quote:
No one should drive cars because , even though we have our licenses, we are prone to bouts of depression, anxiety, and fits of rage or passion and could kill with our cars. Come on now...give us a RATIONAL reason. Your own argument contradicts itself.
You're the one who is irrational by contradicting yourself, because I never claimed that nobody should own or drive a car.
My point is that you need a license to drive a car, so it would only be perfectly rational that one should also need a license if ya wanna use a gun.
Quote:
Again, so , the relevance being, 'public safety' trumps 'individual freedoms'...in this case, we would all be served by dictatorship, because there are so many dangers in this world, we cannot possible protect ourselves from all of them.
Stop being such a drama queen; the fact that you might need a license for something doesn't imply that you will stop having personal freedom.
Or are you claiming that because you need a driver’s license you do not have personal freedom?
Besides in traffic there is no ‘personal’ freedom, we all have to abide by the (national) traffic rules; all in the name of public safety.

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
You dont need a license or anything to buy a car.
Don't tell me that you only wanna buy guns and never shoot them.
FYI you still need a license if ya wanna drive a car.
Quote:
So by your reasoning we should just imprison everybody?
Nope, that would be your simplistic reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates