U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-18-2009, 08:35 AM
 
1,047 posts, read 2,045,334 times
Reputation: 412

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.
See, I'd feel more comfortable. An armed society is a polite society. Also, I feel there are a lot more good people in the world than bad folks. If everyone were armed, the bad folk would be much less likely to prey on the weak (who would no longer be weak).

 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
It's always scared me that ordinary people are allowed to have guns. But then again all the times I've been to the US I've never even seen a gun, or seen somebody held at gunpoint, or been shot at, so I guess it's not as bad as it sounds.
In my 40 years I've never seen someone held at gunpoint nor been shot at. I rarely see anyone outside of law enforcement or security carrying a weapon either. When I do it is in places like a sporting goods store or a gun store that I would expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.
Is it the gun itself that makes you uncomfortable or the type of person carrying it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
I know that most people buy guns for self-defence against other people who have guns, but I'd prefer it if nobody had guns in the first place.
A gun is a equalizer. If there were no guns and your were confronted by a group of knife weilding thugs, what would you do? With a gun, you have made the odds at least even if not in your favor. Like any predator, these guys go after the helpless. Once confronted with equal or more power, they will usually back down. Even in a group no one wants to be the first to die.

In the past we have caused a few people to leave these threads. I am truely interested in your answers to my questions.

-Robert
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
 
Location: NY
2,007 posts, read 3,361,529 times
Reputation: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Well, this is a huge thread, so many of the points I want to say have probably been said already.

But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.

I know that most people buy guns for self-defence against other people who have guns, but I'd prefer it if nobody had guns in the first place.

Only my opinion though.
I can understand your point but it's a fact that the bad guys have and always will have guns. You have probably been in close proximity to law abiding folks that have been carrying completely legally and you never knew it. If someone had tried to do you harm though, that person most likely would have saved your bacon.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,251,619 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
That is because Obama and his crew are trying to ban them. Why they are trying to make it so you need a license to by ammo (like in the People's Republic of NJ) . So everyone is buying what they can while they can. It's is tough to even get ammo in several states currently.

We reload, so for the time being, we are OK...but they aren't really full loads, so perhaps we best go dig up some ammo as well. I don't think that one magazine of hollow points will be enough if all heck breaks loose....
my dad had a hard time finding ammo as long as a year ago, so whenever he is out shopping for anything really, he will stop and look to see if ammo is available. If it is, he grabs a few boxes. He has it down to a science now, knows when the stores are getting the shipments in, so he can be there when it gets offloaded onto shelves.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Northglenn, Colorado
3,689 posts, read 9,251,619 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Well, this is a huge thread, so many of the points I want to say have probably been said already.

But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.
I know that most people buy guns for self-defence against other people who have guns, but I'd prefer it if nobody had guns in the first place.

Only my opinion though.
This is exactly what allowing people to carry does to criminals as well. they do not know if everyone, some, or no one is carrying, so they resist the urge to commit the crime. The one thing you just have to remember, if you are not planning on committing a crime that would put someones life in harms way, you have nothing to worry about from law abiding citizens that are armed.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Well, this is a huge thread, so many of the points I want to say have probably been said already.
All the more reason to read up & see what sort of rebuttal folks used. After all you freely admit that your opinion is based on inexperience, hearsay & emotion.

Quote:
But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.
Why? That applies everywhere anyway. The only real difference is that here there might just be an armed civilian good guy instead of only armed criminals.

Quote:
I know that most people buy guns for self-defence against other people who have guns, but I'd prefer it if nobody had guns in the first place.

Only my opinion though.
But why is that your opinion? See it matters, folks vote & support or resist legislation based on opinions.

I own guns because I like to shoot & hunt. I realize that they are very good self defense tools so I own & carry hanguns when I want but the primary reason I own the guns I do is to shoot them recreationally, even my self defense guns.

Its not only for defense against folks armed with guns either but rather for general defense. Just as a cop wouldn't not shoot you because you were going to bash his head with a bat or cut your throat with a knife.

Is it your opinion that the world would be free from violent attack without guns? Because that might be another mistaken or uneducated opinion.
In the US its simple to figure there would be more violent attacks since guns in civilian hands prevent at the very least a few hundred thousand crimes against persons & acording to some stats its over 2 million times a year.

I think if you could investigate the facts with an open mind you would need to change your opinion, or lie to yourself.
 
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker Don't tell me that you only wanna buy guns and never shoot them.
You keep comparing guns to cars & I'm simply pointing out that what you say we should do has been done. You only need a drivers license to drive on public roads. You can buy all the cars you want & drive them on private property.

Thats pretty much exactly the way it works with guns. Except its harder to buy them, backround checks & things that car buyers dont need to deal with. If you want to carry in public you need a permit/license.

Quote:
FYI you still need a license if ya wanna drive a car.
Only thing is your saying we should need one to BUY a gun, not just to carry/use one in public.

Quote:
Nope, that would be your simplistic reasoning.

I use simple reasoning because its a simple issue. Creating prohibitive previous conditions & prior restraint to excercising a civil right is simply wrong in a free country.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 06-18-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: No personal comments please
 
Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Reputation: 7038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
But just one thing... the thought of walking down the street in a city where anybody (or everybody) could be carrying a gun makes me uncomfortable.

I know that most people buy guns for self-defence against other people who have guns, but I'd prefer it if nobody had guns in the first place.

Only my opinion though.
You should go walk around in Montana. State-wide open carry laws. You may keep your sidearm exposed in a holster as you go about your day. I did some work there a long time ago. Negotiating a lease with a guy in a cowboy hat who wears a Colt .45 cowboy action on his hip does take some getting used to, but that is DEFINITELY a polite state.

I honestly think that you should go buy a gun and take some shooting classes. You'll have an "ah-ha!" moment.
 
Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
You keep comparing guns to cars & I'm simply pointing out that what you say we should do has been done. You only need a drivers license to drive on public roads. You can buy all the cars you want & drive them on private property.
What I'm saying that should be done is that Americans should need a gun license if they wanna buy and / or use guns.
As I understand it this is not the case.

Quote:
Only thing is your saying we should need one to BUY a gun, not just to carry/use one in public.
Nope, because you can buy a car without having to drive it.
If people buy guns to protect themselves they 1st should need a license in order to be able to buy a gun.

Quote:
I use simple reasoning because its a simple issue.
Nope it isn't.
Gun fetishists wanna believe that there is a clear line between law-abiding citizens and criminals, but unfortunately this is not the case.

One of the reasons why America has the largest prison population in the world is because you don't distinguish between (career)criminals and people who suffer from a psychological disorder.
A criminal belongs in prison while people who suffer from a psychological disorder belong in a mental institution. Putting these people with other criminals only creates more problems.
So the simplistic reasoning that everyone who commits a crime automatically belongs in jail simply is wrong.

Last edited by Tricky D; 06-19-2009 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: clarification
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Puerto Penasco, Mexico
967 posts, read 2,655,445 times
Reputation: 516
They say a picture is worth a thousand words... What would you pick, Tricky?
Attached Thumbnails
A gunfree USA-question.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top