U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Reputation: 1846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think my point was clear. But I'll try again.
Its abundantly clear, that many many law abiding citizens effectively prevent & stop violent crime with privately owned firearms. Given that fact, unless the intent is to allow those people to be robbed, raped or killed, no further gun control should be taken seriously.

What would have been the outcome of the linked article if nobody had a gun?

What would be the outcome in countless other violent crimes if the victims did have a gun?
The only place, thus far, that you and I disagree on is the fact that I want it registered. I want a license. I want a paper trail.

Be that as it may, don't BS me. The event mentioned did not happen. A quick search reveals that the event that he claimed happened to him did not happen. BS was never necessary.

Are we clear?

 
Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Reputation: 12285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The only place, thus far, that you and I disagree on is the fact that I want it registered. I want a license. I want a paper trail.

Be that as it may, don't BS me. The event mentioned did not happen. A quick search reveals that the event that he claimed happened to him did not happen. BS was never necessary.

Are we clear?
The registration thing has been beat to death. Legally purchased firearms are tracked all the way from the factory to the purchaser. Though they are not officially 'registered' per se, rest assured law enforcement can find out exactly how a LEGALLY purchased firearm ends up where it ends up. Legally purchased firearms that are stolen, when recovered, can be tracked back to square one as well. What requirements would you like to see as far as 'registration'? Would it be something like Hawaii has then? A legal purchaser must jump through flaming hoops to buy a gun there, all firearms are 'registered' in a central data bank with Honolulu PD and it has not done a thing that effects criminal use of guns. What this does do is basically make owning a firearm a borderline criminal act. It makes a statement that anyone who owns and uses firearms , for any purpose or activity, is looked at as a potential criminal, and is treated as such as well. Therein lies my, and 99% of all legal firearms owners, heartburn with the 'registration' issue. Aside from the fact that there is a trail on all legal firearms purchases all the way back to the assembly line already, why should we agree to be treated this way? Start busting the bad guys balls and get off of ours would seem to be a better solution. Enforce the laws on the books already and quit plea dealing violent criminals down to petty sentences when they use a gun to ply their trade. Makes sense to me, but, I'm just a lone poster on an internet forum I guess.............
 
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,319,821 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
The only place, thus far, that you and I disagree on is the fact that I want it registered. I want a license. I want a paper trail.
And a permit & purchase documents dont constitute a license & paper trail?
You'll never get licenses & paper trails from killers & thieves.

Quote:
Be that as it may, don't BS me. The event mentioned did not happen. A quick search reveals that the event that he claimed happened to him did not happen. BS was never necessary.
The linked to story never hapenned? If thats so, so be it. I never intentionally BS you or anybody else. My point doesn't rely on one case but many.

Quote:
Are we clear?
Possibly.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The registration thing has been beat to death. Legally purchased firearms are tracked all the way from the factory to the purchaser. Though they are not officially 'registered' per se, rest assured law enforcement can find out exactly how a LEGALLY purchased firearm ends up where it ends up. Legally purchased firearms that are stolen, when recovered, can be tracked back to square one as well. What requirements would you like to see as far as 'registration'? Would it be something like Hawaii has then? A legal purchaser must jump through flaming hoops to buy a gun there, all firearms are 'registered' in a central data bank with Honolulu PD and it has not done a thing that effects criminal use of guns. What this does do is basically make owning a firearm a borderline criminal act. It makes a statement that anyone who owns and uses firearms , for any purpose or activity, is looked at as a potential criminal, and is treated as such as well. Therein lies my, and 99% of all legal firearms owners, heartburn with the 'registration' issue. Aside from the fact that there is a trail on all legal firearms purchases all the way back to the assembly line already, why should we agree to be treated this way? Start busting the bad guys balls and get off of ours would seem to be a better solution. Enforce the laws on the books already and quit plea dealing violent criminals down to petty sentences when they use a gun to ply their trade. Makes sense to me, but, I'm just a lone poster on an internet forum I guess.............
That makes sense to a lot of people, but I'm not sure that they post on many forum boards.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
That makes sense to a lot of people, but I'm not sure that they post on many forum boards.
They do post on a lot of forum boards, just not this one. But there are a lot of people who think that the police and courts are doing everything they can and more laws would make them FEEL safer. They think that one call to 911 is all it takes to make them safe.

Another example is California's proposed law to put a unique stamp on the firing pin of semi-auto weapons. What is that going to do to deter crime? Some criminals will go old-school and use a revolver. Others won't care. When Pookie is busted carrying a Glock that was used in a shooting 3 months ago, he's just going to say that it was a recent purchase for him. These lawmakers can't think like a criminal so they just keep adding laws to burden the rest of us.

-Robert
 
Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,262,215 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
They do post on a lot of forum boards, just not this one. But there are a lot of people who think that the police and courts are doing everything they can and more laws would make them FEEL safer. They think that one call to 911 is all it takes to make them safe.

Another example is California's proposed law to put a unique stamp on the firing pin of semi-auto weapons. What is that going to do to deter crime? Some criminals will go old-school and use a revolver. Others won't care. When Pookie is busted carrying a Glock that was used in a shooting 3 months ago, he's just going to say that it was a recent purchase for him. These lawmakers can't think like a criminal so they just keep adding laws to burden the rest of us.

-Robert
I see your points. I'd rather see offenders pay as well.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
And a permit & purchase documents dont constitute a license & paper trail?
You'll never get licenses & paper trails from killers & thieves.
Yep, we did this when GD opened up. I'm not going to move/your not going to move. It then becomes boring.



Quote:
The linked to story never hapenned? If thats so, so be it. I never intentionally BS you or anybody else. My point doesn't rely on one case but many.
Tin- post #760 cleary states an elderly woman was involved and there are no elderly victims in that account, are there? In fact, search as much as you want it, your not going to find an elderly victim in there. Therefore, it was necessary to create a fictive account of an event to prove a point. It wasn't your post. You can defend it, deny it, I don't care one way or the other. The fact of the matter is that it did not have an elderly woman in there. Talk about an attempt to use an emotional argument.
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Reputation: 7980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Tin- post #760 cleary states an elderly woman was involved and there are no elderly victims in that account, are there? In fact, search as much as you want it, your not going to find an elderly victim in there. Therefore, it was necessary to create a fictive account of an event to prove a point.
Interesting. Greatday posted an anecdote about a local incident, and you took it upon yourself to find a news report of a story that doesn't match (see post 761). Now, you're using your unsubstantiated research to defend a position of.... I'm not sure exactly what - who cares how old the lady was? Isn't that kind of like fighting over how many matches were struck to start the fire while the house is fully engulfed?
 
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Interesting. Greatday posted an anecdote about a local incident, and you took it upon yourself to find a news report of a story that doesn't match (see post 761). Now, you're using your unsubstantiated research to defend a position of.... I'm not sure exactly what - who cares how old the lady was? Isn't that kind of like fighting over how many matches were struck to start the fire while the house is fully engulfed?

Unsubstantiated research? I don't think so.
 
Old 06-23-2009, 02:27 AM
ako
 
Location: Hopefully not here.
140 posts, read 294,104 times
Reputation: 49
Accusing each other of cowardice... people on this forum do NOT like to be disagreed with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top