U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,357,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary began carrying guns for the first time in 1998. They are responsible for policing of the cities of St. John's, Corner Brook and Labrador City. Rural policing in Newfoundland is the RCMP.

Last I heard, routine patrols in London England are still unarmed. About 10% of the force, special units, are authorized to be armed. Many London police are not even trained in the use of guns.
Many London Police are now carrying Tasers though.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,024,297 times
Just out of curiosity, how many police officers are murdered in England in any given year, vs. the number murdered in the US?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,989,869 times
I got it from an anonymous source that there is new legislation being considered that is going to require anyone that has a pen, pencil, typewriter or computer to have a license to possess or buy these items.
If anyone of these items are concealed on a person or in their vehicle a special Concealed Carry permit must be obtained.
Instant background checks for these items must be performed at the point of purchase.
Anyone with a history of profanity, mental problems, abusive language or bad mouthing of political leaders cannot possess these instruments.
Cans of spray paint commonly used for graffiti will be exempt.
An amendment to this BILL will limit sales of pens, pencils, typewriters or computer printers to ONE a month.
Print paper must also have a watermark identifying the purchaser of the paper. Any transfer of ownership of that paper must be accompanied by a (B.E.A.F.) Form 4473. B.E.A.F is the government Bureau to Eliminate All Freedom.
All ink will have an identifying dye embedded and each lot of ink sold will be capable of being tracked by the B.E.A.F.
Violators of these laws may be subjected to incarceration, heavy fines and even capital punishment for repeated offenses.

When asked to comment on this legislation an unnamed representative of A.C.L.U. (Americans Concerned Laws are Unequal) said that, " Although the ACLU thinks this new legislation has merit we don't think it goes far enough. We still have many of our citizens who think they have a right to say what they think. Freedom of speech is not a God Given right. Precedents set in laws regarding the Second Amendment have shown that the Bill of Rights can be infringed."

Stay tuned for further developments.

GL2
I originally posted the above on another thread on 02/15/2009. I was trying to make the point that IF the restrictions I mentioned in that 02/15 post were made to First Amendment rights the ACLU and other liberal organizations would be screaming bloody murder.

Whether it is the First Amendment or the Second Amendment being infringed EVERYONE should be concerned. I think the Liberal news media has been and will continue to be USEFUL IDIOTS aiding those who are out to destroy/change our country.

GL2

Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 PM

80 posts, read 320,479 times
How does one go about getting a gun illegally? Bernie Goetzs gun wasnt legal and it may have saved his life. If confiscation does happen only those with illegal/unregistered guns are going to be be set. So hypothetically, where are some good places to get a gun for ones protection solely under this scenario?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,318,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
and I do actually look at people and wonder. No, it doesn't make ME feel very safe, especially since moving to this state.

Which one? Theres only 2 that prohibit concealed carry.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,113,598 times
People with the intent can pick up illegal guns practically anywhere.

Grandma's dresser drawer, an employer's cash drawer, a neighbor's house during a party - but most are picked up by breaking and entering homes where the owners are not there, or by robbing gun stores as well as transport trucks and then selling them on the street. The teenager who's grandfather just died can inherit a gun amd sell it, or take his dad's from his cabinet or drawer to make a couple of quick bucks. Criminals after they use a gun are afraid of being caught and prosecuted with it; so they either throw it over a fence or sell it. Who finds it or buys it you may never know. When my mother went senile and started waving a pistol in the neighbor's faces, we took that gun away from her. The one she had in her hand would probably have killed HER if she shot it at the neighbors; it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years and the barrel and chambers were blocked with rust and crud. We turned it into the PD to avoid her getting her hands on it again - other people may not be so strict. (Dad had left it behind when he passed - he should have known better; she refused to handle guns at all when we were growing up.)

While most people who obey laws are not accosted walking down any city street, those who are looking for weaponry can easily find it. Like drugs, those of a criminal mindset know each other; know where to 'pick up', sell, and or purchase, what and when and how much. If you ban all "legal" guns, then the criminals will still have access to them. How many times has your local PD been written up for not having their confiscated weapons adequately secured; how many have gone missing? You may never know.

I know where my guns are; I know how to shoot them, I know what they will do and what they are for. I have NEVER locked up my guns, even when we had kids (all antigunliberals GASP) ; they knew from early on what they were and what they were for, and to always treat them as if they were loaded. Now all of them carry responsibly, too. They didn't run with sharp objects or stand outside during lightning storms, either. And not one of them has ever had to fire their weapons in exiegency - nor have they ever been robbed or assaulted, although they have been forced to draw on occasion. They know what use of deadly force means, and will only shoot (to kill, incidentally) if an attacker keeps on coming after his threat is overbalanced by their response.

People who are raised with a gun, who learn that it is a tool, not a toy, who understand its purposes and results intimately, who are raised responsibly and with self-respect, rarely go suddenly flaming mad and start killing people. The endless vapid hysteria about making America gun-free only means that the criminals will be armed and the politicians will have an armed militia to enforce whatever laws they choose. If you look throughout history, before AND after the Founding Fathers signed off on the Second Amendment, you see that the first step of any dictator is to disarm the populace so that the dictator can do as he pleases to whomever he chooses. THAT is why the Second Amendment was written - not for hunting, not for the stop-and-rob criminals - to ensure that if some fruitcake tries to decimate a segment of the population, he can be fearful that they can and will do the same to him.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So are you reducing our troops to criminals and nazi's now?

Bush already did that. I'm just an observer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
jtur88: I'm sure you're a lovely fellow, but: I suppose it's time to ask the critical question:

Do you think total disarmament of the US citizenry is the most appropriate course of action to build / sustain / maintain or create a happy, crime-free society here?
)
Of course not. That wasn't the OP question, and I never said anything that would imply that.

In fact I am a member of the NRA (member number xxxxx7974) and I am a strong advocate of the Second Amendment for its stated purpose.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,989,869 times
A law abiding citizen in my State (Nebraska) may own a gun he bought here through a licensed gun dealer or even in a sale from another person. As long as that gun has not been stolen he is a LEGAL gun owner. In order to buy a gun from a FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder in Nebraska the buyer must go to the local Sheriff's office and fill out an application for a Firearm Purchasers permit. The Sheriff is REQUIRED to issue that permit within five days UNLESS the person has been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor involving domestic assault. The permit is not needed to buy a gun in a private sale. However the buyer cannot be a convicted felon and to own a handgun they must be 21 or older.

If that legal gun owner in Nebraska should move to a State like NY, IL, MA, NJ etc. he may have to surrender that gun and apply for a license to own it in that state. I have heard that this procedure often results in the loss of the gun, unjust fees and possible prosecution for possessing an "unregistered" gun.

This is BULL! If this is not an infringement of the Second Amendment of the Constitution then NOTHING is an infringement.

Can you imagine the Hell to be paid if a law abiding citizen from Nebraska moved to a state like New York and he was told he would have to apply with the Attorney General of New York or a county sheriff in his new residence for a PERMIT to speak or write? Or apply for a permit to buy a newspaper? TV set or radio? After all if the rights of the Second Amendment can be violated why should the rights mentioned in the First Amendment be any more valuable?

Open up your mind people.

GL2

Old 05-08-2009, 11:24 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
jtur, I tried to answer your ? whether it satifys you or not. now my question please, what are YOU saying by asking the question. do you believe that if guns are registered that it will not lead to confiscation? yes or no. you also failed to address my point about a certain group being banned from gun ownership en mass after a bill was signed by clinton. they were registered, records, and then loss gun rights. I truly doubt that the goverment will one day en mass outlaw all guns. they know better. (japanese camps) It will be done by those like you believing theres nothing wrong with alittle registration. and by the way, what has ever been registered, or licensed and not continually become more restrictive? higher fees, more regs, etc.
I already stated that clearly. If the government sets out to confiscate guns, do you think they would bother to register them first? If they wanted to confiscate cars, they wouldn't go out looking for license plates, they'd look for cars.

Last time I read the 2nd Amendment, the word "regulated" was in there.

I repeat my original challenge, now for the third time. Give me one example of something that the US government first registered, and then confiscated.

Please note that in many states, certain groups were also banned from voting. This was done by requiring people to register to vote. Are you for or against "a little" voter registration? Is voting a constitutionally protected right, like bearing arms?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,514,836 times
It will never happen because Americans generally don't even trust their neighbour; the main reason for this is because Americans are highly individualised (compared to Europe or Asia) instead of community based.

Most European countries are a social-democracy while America is merely a democratic nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates