U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times

Advertisements

I find the idea of the US becoming 'gun free' to be ....unAmerican, personally. The ownership and use of firearms is a part of our culture and heritage. There has always been bad people who misuse the right to arms, but that will not change should that right be removed from the books. All that would accomplish is the crushing of our traditions, and turn honest people into criminals. I'll keep my firearms thanks. I will teach my son proper use of them as well, as we enjoy the shooting sports. I can't care a whit what Europe and the rest of the world think of our firearms traditions. They don't have to live here and can keep their opinions where they belong, inside their own borders. At my house we will ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. God Bless America!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 AM

3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Regarding stats:
1. The guns are not registered.
2. Private sales
3. Stolen guns may not be reported.
4. Stolen guns reported but serial number is unknown. Or none at all.
5. Guns stolen from one area used in another area.
6. Trades

It is not about making it harder or treating legit owners like criminals. I think it would increase the ability to solve crimes. For instance, a registered gun was stolen in this area (and reported) and several robberies occur. 2 weeks later (or whatever) several robberies occur in another jurisdiction and this time that individual is caught. Point A-Point B. Maybe even point C,D, and E. Or it is traded or sold to someone else and is moved around quite a bit.
First, I'm not sure how registration will help in any way with your scenario. Please explain.

Second, even though registration isn't required for any of my guns, the serial numbers are documented as well as multiple digital pictures. If any of my guns were stolen I would immediately report them so I could get them back. Either they are expensive, have sentimental value or both. But I do have one 'throw-away' gun that I can give to the .gov when they come to confiscate all of my weapons.

-Robert

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
I just did explain it. Just because you have made careful documentations does not mean that others have, otherwise it would not be a problem.

I think you may be a wee bit paranoid on the government is coming for you weapons thing.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,361,805 times
Quote:
I think you may be a wee bit paranoid on the government is coming for you weapons thing.
First, and in reality, Gun Registration in the US will not happen, nor work.

And, a little paranoia is actually good.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
so far all the gang rapes that i know about occurred without firearms.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
so far all the gang rapes that i know about occurred without firearms.
Me sainted Father had a saying...."Nobody ever raped a .38". ( I prefer a .45, but to each their own). I would not feel naked in the face of my enemies with a good .38.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:55 AM

13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I prefer a .45
Join the club.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First, and in reality, Gun Registration in the US will not happen, nor work.

And, a little paranoia is actually good.
First, it won't happen. I'll give you that. Even if it did happen there will still be department ego to navigate through. You can't say that it won't work. You cannot tell me that it won't cut down on the crap.

And just because your paranoid does not mean they aren't out to get you. At some point, thoughts have to go beyond that.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,329,150 times
Quote:

In response to the prior comment on bringing a karate kick to a whatever: Not so much. I think when people visualize being attacked they see it as coming towards them. That is not always the case. 9 out of 10 times it wonít occur in the same manner as the last time. When someone comes from behind and places their arm around your neck and under your chin and pulls backward cutting off your air supply, what do you need first? Air. If you canít breath, your done. Using your fingers to pull the arm back is not a very good response. Things happen so fast. So fast. Especially in any type of physical assault.
This still doesn't make a lot of sense as an anti-gun argument. I've trained extensively in muay thai and krav maga for over a decade and I'm still having trouble seeing the salience of your point. I agree that using your fingers to "pull the arm back is not a very good response". Given a variety of options, I would still say that skinning your concealed sidearm and putting a couple of rounds into your assailant's ribs and/or hip will result in "air" more reliably than trying to execute a string of consecutive miracles that can always be defeated by a large strength deficit or a blown element of surprise.

See, I think that a lot of martial arts weekenders tend to visualize being attacked by someone who has questionable determination and knows little about fighting. That's seldom going to be the case. Someone carrying a gun with a great determination to avoid victimization is going to be much more successful in avoiding victimization than an unarmed and overconfident holder of a meaningless colored belt... Just my opinion...

Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Well, here is the thing. Its Aikido for a reason. And its not about anti-gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates