U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times

Advertisements

I can usually spot a person carrying a concealed firearm. They stand straighter, show more confidence and look around more then most.

If some one chokes me from behind I will turn around and put his eyes out with my thumbs. Then I will get mean.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,640,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
Would a gun free USA be possible for the USA or just a ideal of pacifists, and religous types or would this mark the US becoming a moral and decent society if this were to occur
America will NEVER become a decent and moral society ever again, and its not based on Guns or Gun Laws ; its predominately based on pretending God isnt required any longer for this Nation ...with the sub-category of massive and relentless promotion / encouraging of Sexual Hedonism and Narcissism by an out of control Mass Media ; something which our spineless Government doesnt know how (or wants) to address. Its THIS anarchy which will completely ruin the U.S. , long before Gun ownership will.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,856,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I just did explain it. Just because you have made careful documentations does not mean that others have, otherwise it would not be a problem.
I re-read your post and still don't get it. I'll try again.

Quote:
Regarding stats:
1. The guns are not registered.
2. Private sales
3. Stolen guns may not be reported.
4. Stolen guns reported but serial number is unknown. Or none at all.
5. Guns stolen from one area used in another area.
6. Trades

It is not about making it harder or treating legit owners like criminals. I think it would increase the ability to solve crimes. For instance, a registered gun was stolen in this area (and reported) and several robberies occur. 2 weeks later (or whatever) several robberies occur in another jurisdiction and this time that individual is caught. Point A-Point B. Maybe even point C,D, and E. Or it is traded or sold to someone else and is moved around quite a bit.
So if the perp is captured in possession of a stolen gun, how does he get charged with the first set of robberies? Registered or unregistered, I'm not getting it.

Quote:
I know this sounds crazy but there are times where the paper trail or reports or investigations are actually time saving. There may be available information but I think that people have falsely come to believe that A) information is shared and B) every place is CSI. Most places do not have the budget to work with.

Sharing information is pivotal. Agencies do not always work hand and hand. They should but they donít. Often ego or the belief that it represents a centralized type of government prevents that information from being shared. Perhaps a little from column A and a little from column B.
I agree that the sharing of information is vital. But how does it apply here in our current discussion of registration? What are the benefits other than recovery of a weapon.

Quote:
I think you may be a wee bit paranoid on the government is coming for you weapons thing.
I need to put a smiley on some things. I did post the ammo fort pictures earlier.

-Robert

Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Me sainted Father had a saying...."Nobody ever raped a .38". ( I prefer a .45, but to each their own). I would not feel naked in the face of my enemies with a good .38.

Nope, they have not. But the "gang rape" may not have happened had the victim been a confident person in possession of a gun.

I like my .38 but it happened to be the .357 that ran off the rapist on me that one dreadful night so long ago. Thank GOD I woke up before he even touched me. I had always wondered how I would react in a situation and I found out that I'm "as calm as a cucumber" and pretty darn level headed. I didn't scream or anything. Just mumbled "where is my gun..... got it" and he heard the click and off he went. Even the dog barking at him IN the house did not scare him off but it did awaken me. It was a week later when we found out he raped a lady a few doors down the week before. It was a few months before he was caught after raping about a dozen females in the area in about an 8 month span.

I was always taught that once you pull a gun you better be ready to fire. I know darn well that I will do just that. If that creep had come one inch closer it would have been over for him. He chose to run, too bad for his victims as I could have saved them from a life of turmoil. That part ticks me off. I would have shot him dead if he would have made a move closer to me and as the saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 of my peers than carried by 6.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Nope, they have not. But the "gang rape" may not have happened had the victim been a confident person in possession of a gun.

I like my .38 but it happened to be the .357 that ran off the rapist on me that one dreadful night so long ago. Thank GOD I woke up before he even touched me. I had always wondered how I would react in a situation and I found out that I'm "as calm as a cucumber" and pretty darn level headed. I didn't scream or anything. Just mumbled "where is my gun..... got it" and he heard the click and off he went. Even the dog barking at him IN the house did not scare him off but it did awaken me. It was a week later when we found out he raped a lady a few doors down the week before. It was a few months before he was caught after raping about a dozen females in the area in about an 8 month span.

I was always taught that once you pull a gun you better be ready to fire. I know darn well that I will do just that. If that creep had come one inch closer it would have been over for him. He chose to run, too bad for his victims as I could have saved them from a life of turmoil. That part ticks me off. I would have shot him dead if he would have made a move closer to me and as the saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 of my peers than carried by 6.
Being able to remain in control under great stress will keep you alive long before your firearm will to be certain. Without you behind it the gun is worthless. A firearm does nothing by it's mere presence. If you have presented your weapon in the face of an attacker, it is time to send a round home, that is very true. Brandishing, threatening, stating you are armed, whatever, will just hand your attacker an advantage. Challenges are good only if there is another barrier between you and the goblin, such as a locked door. When he is face to face with you, it's time to act.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:16 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,640,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

VERY curious....what was his sentence ???

Old 06-29-2009, 04:26 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,254,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
VERY curious....what was his sentence ???
Gosh, I don't even remember as it's been 25 years or so. I don't remember it being very long. Most sentences usually were not. He was pretty young and from the neighborhood though which freaked me out even more.

FYI, to NV, I only "mumbled" the words as it was more of talking to myself than making him aware of it. I agree with you though 100%. A firearm should be an element of surprise. If it comes out it is getting fired in pretty quick order. If my sis had not been between me and him and I'd had a clear shot I would have probably fired. He heard me **** that thing though and he was GONE!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I re-read your post and still don't get it. I'll try again.

So if the perp is captured in possession of a stolen gun, how does he get charged with the first set of robberies? Registered or unregistered, I'm not getting it.
Ok, lets say that several burglaries happen in a town in a specific area. There are 3 people involved. One of the items taken is a gun that is registered. Two stay local and the third takes off to another jurisdiction. The third is picked up for handgun no license. Not really enough to hold someone for any real lenth of time. But, run a search on the gun and the note that the gun was stolen on this date and from this person. A phone call is made and information is shared and that person is questioned yet again but this time in connection with the others in the same area. The odds are that this person is unwilling to go down by himself and then there were three. Time.

Quote:
I agree that the sharing of information is vital. But how does it apply here in our current discussion of registration? What are the benefits other than recovery of a weapon.
I hope that I have explained it better.

Quote:
I need to put a smiley on some things. I did post the ammo fort pictures earlier.

-Robert
Great. You need smiley's and I need a nic like Pink-Princess-Girly-Girl.

We are off to a rockin' little start.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,856,381 times
Quote:
Ok, lets say that several burglaries happen in a town in a specific area. There are 3 people involved. One of the items taken is a gun that is registered. Two stay local and the third takes off to another jurisdiction. The third is picked up for handgun no license. Not really enough to hold someone for any real lenth of time. But, run a search on the gun and the note that the gun was stolen on this date and from this person. A phone call is made and information is shared and that person is questioned yet again but this time in connection with the others in the same area. The odds are that this person is unwilling to go down by himself and then there were three. Time.
That is already happening. Guns that were stolen in Greenville, MS were recently found in Chicago. The different law enforcement agencies involved were able to get guys to flip and it uncovered an entire smuggling operation. But here in MS there is no registration for either owning nor carrying concealed. Bad guys went to prison using exactly what is in place today.

The people that I know who own guns would report them stolen. I bet that 99% of the population would. There is a small percentage that wouldn't and I bet they are the ones in illegal possession of a gun.

-Robert

Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That is already happening. Guns that were stolen in Greenville, MS were recently found in Chicago. The different law enforcement agencies involved were able to get guys to flip and it uncovered an entire smuggling operation. But here in MS there is no registration for either owning nor carrying concealed. Bad guys went to prison using exactly what is in place today.

The people that I know who own guns would report them stolen. I bet that 99% of the population would. There is a small percentage that wouldn't and I bet they are the ones in illegal possession of a gun.

-Robert
Interesting story about stolen firearms. My Dad's last duty with the Navy was as security chief on an ammo depot. Marine guards. Ten M14's were lifted from the armory. The culprits were caught and one of them squaked that they had buried the rifles in one of the bunker zones. The FBI swept the area and found nothing. A year later one of the missing rifles was recovered in Canada. If the rest were in that magazine zone they are still there. That is doubtful. Lol, if the true numbers of guns stolen from the military were public knowledge it would boggle the mind. Private arms being stlolen, though a problem, is not nearly the issue of stolen military hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates