Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Errr...how do you know the guy was a neocon? My first guess would be an anarchist or libertarian. Heck, I know a bunch of pro-gun liberals too.

This is a pretty funny thread.
Where does Arizona place on any Red/Blue State map?
Also...

The protester, who refused to give his name, was interviewed by a man carrying a microphone and said, "I am almost always armed."
The interview, done by Libertarian radio talk show host Ernest Hancock, was staged.
"Absolutely," Hancock told CNN's Rick Sanchez Tuesday. "You guys are so easy. What we wanted to do was make sure that people around the country knew that law enforcement in Phoenix, Arizona, protects our rights."

Interview with gun-toting protester at Obama rally was staged - CNN.com

And please, don't give me any crap about Hancock being a "Libertarian". That's like calling Rush Limbaugh an intelligent speaker.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
I'm gonna put a different take on this. To me, carrying weapons in this fashion to make a statement, amounts to the same kind of 'in your face' tactics that I , personally, deplore, and which are used by a lot of other advocacy groups. The 'gay rights' movement springs to mind. So, no laws were violated, but no consideration is being given to the feelings of other folks. It's counterproductive. Period. It just makes the people employing such tactics out to be far flung wackos, that have to put their lives on parade. It grabs headlines, but makes these folks look like classless idiots.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BECAUSE - we have our FREEDOMS you obviously do not like.
BECAUSE, quite obviously, most people in this Nation ahve NO idea what Freedom entails.

Can you walk onto my property and set up a soapbox to preach political or religious ideology/theosophy?

But wait, the Constitution says...

Can a reporter walk onto my property at will? Can he barge into the Oval Office to ask questions?

Can you stand on a street corner calling for the assasignation of the POTUS? Can you, indeed, yell fire in a crowed theater?

There is no such thing as "Pure" Freedoms in this Nation. Never has been, never will be.

However, WITHIN THE STRUCTURE OF US LAWS, our Freedoms remain intact, certain activities by the past administration notwithstanding.

BTW, did you and your fellow righties complain about the intrusion on the 4th Amendment of domestic spying and the PATRIOT Act? Did you people even know that Habeus Corpus cannot be suspended under any circumstances in this Nation unless we are being actively invaded by a foriegn power, or there is an active armed rebellion? What? No Complaints about that right infringed upon either?

People, on the Left AND Right, need to stop and think for themselves, instead of lurching from invented emergency to invented emergency on the whim of media wh*res much more interested in their ratings and paychecks than any actual political concerns.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Easy. Same criteria as that which is used to determine who is entitled to protection, at public expense, by the Secret Service. If the public is going to bear the expense of protecting a person, what sense does it make to have strangers without security clearance walking around with loaded firearms?

Who are the strangers? The people who LIVE there?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Where does Arizona place on any Red/Blue State map?
Also...

The protester, who refused to give his name, was interviewed by a man carrying a microphone and said, "I am almost always armed."
The interview, done by Libertarian radio talk show host Ernest Hancock, was staged.
"Absolutely," Hancock told CNN's Rick Sanchez Tuesday. "You guys are so easy. What we wanted to do was make sure that people around the country knew that law enforcement in Phoenix, Arizona, protects our rights."

Interview with gun-toting protester at Obama rally was staged - CNN.com

And please, don't give me any crap about Hancock being a "Libertarian". That's like calling Rush Limbaugh an intelligent speaker.
Ah, so the guys WAS a libertarian.
Oh...let's see...whom to believe....CNN or you.....gee this is a hard one.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM

95 posts, read 178,121 times
Quote:
First off - let's acknowledge those in question were actually, no where near where the President was - OK?????

Then, while the Police and Secret Service were watching the crowd, no member of law enforcement did anything - NOTHING in the slightest, to stop or question any of those carrying firearms. The showed little concern(s).

The bottom line of this story? It was a NON STORY - the leftist media in this country tried to making something - out of NOTHING.
What do you consider near?... I mean, there is "near" and there is "near enough."

...and yeppers, there was a great to do about nothing, but a gun parade at a healthcare rally was not called for... I find humor in the story about the gun carriers being "racist."
MSNBC: ObamaCare Protesters ‘Racist,’ Including Black Gun-Owner | NewsBusters.org

Unrelated side note: Criminals will always own weapons, so why try to take an honest person's means of defense away?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah, so the guys WAS a libertarian.
Oh...let's see...whom to believe....CNN or you.....gee this is a hard one.
Go with CNN, they need the ratings and I could care less.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Lastly, where do you think C&C licensing originates? The Feds? No, they are state and local concerns, and come under the auspices of the 9th and 10th Amendments. One of the reasons I find it quite laughable, and ignorant, to protest 2nd Amendment rights by carrying firearms at a Presidential meeting.
It was NOT a "Presidential meeting".

And, as for Arizona law, there was, and is, no license required to carry an Assualt Weapon in the Open. There was no violation of law.

And, it is NEVER "laughable' to defend the 2nd Amendment. There was NO PROTEST of the 2nd - there WAS DEFENSE of the 2nd.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSouthernRide View Post
What do you consider near?... I mean, there is "near" and there is "near enough."

...and yeppers, there was a great to do about nothing, but a gun parade at a healthcare rally was not called for... I find humor in the story about the gun carriers being "racist."
MSNBC: ObamaCare Protesters ‘Racist,’ Including Black Gun-Owner | NewsBusters.org?

Across the street - outside of a VERY BIG building

Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
It was NOT a "Presidential meeting".

And, as for Arizona law, there was, and is, no license required to carry an Assualt Weapon in the Open. There was no violation of law.

And, it is NEVER "laughable' to defend the 2nd Amendment. There was NO PROTEST of the 2nd - there WAS DEFENSE of the 2nd.
1. It was a public appearence by the POTUS, which means that venue temporarily becomes Federal property. Deal with it.

2. Feel free to show where I CLAIMED it was a "violation of the law".

3. It is certainly laughable to protest something THAT ISN'T IN DANGER FROM THE FEDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates