Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Cap1717 just what is an assault weapon?

If you mean a firearm capable of fully automatic fire (one trigger pull = firing till empty), fully automatic weapons have been restricted since the early 1930's. Special licenses and transfer fees have to be obtained in order to own or sell one of these.

When the term assault weapon is used by gun control advocates they usually include semi-automatic weapons (one trigger pull fires only one round). This can be used to outlaw almost all guns used in hunting and self defense.

That is the logic behind the NRA's thinking.

Historically gun control groups always want more. They will not be happy until there are absolutely NO GUNS in the hands of law abiding citizens.

But somehow I think you already know that.

GL2
Indeed. Just as "peace" has many definitions, so "assault weapon" does.

Other than the famous LA bank robbery (they had full-auto AKs, BTW), battlefield rifles such as M-16s, AR 15s, and AK 47s are used in well under 1% of crimes.
Battle rifles are bulky, heavy, and not concealable as a pistol--the preferred tool of miscreants everywhere--is.

By the very terms: Assault, Weapon, they can create the "Guns as boogiemen" thought disorder among otherwise rational people.
Assault weapon is so much more a meanie term than battle rifle, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I think it's possible, but talk about getting the toothpaste back in the tube! The real obstacle would be getting people to vote for such a thing, of course.
No, the REAL obstacle is slipping the wording into a 10,000 page bill that nobody reads. What's the problem?

Read John Lott's book, More Guns, Less Crime. He painstakingly studied the gun issue county-by-county.

His own results surprised him.

He's been a facts- and honesty-based thorn in the side of the Schumers of the world ever since.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You know its kind of wierd but I was trying to figure out if the elderly woman in the Pheonix area knew the people involved. 'Cuz that is kind of how it works. Well, the robber in question here was found at the hospital.
From the article:

There is no indication the assailants knew the residents, Wessing said.
“The four victims are true victims,” he said.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
The only place, thus far, that you and I disagree on is the fact that I want it registered. I want a license. I want a paper trail.
Purchased from a gun dealer, the firearm is "registered"

From a private party, no registration is required. Nor, IMO, should be

There is no need for a "license" either.

Arizona is following the lead of over 30 other states - in allowing those with a CCW permit to carry a concealed weapon into stores and bars.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
From the article:

There is no indication the assailants knew the residents, Wessing said.
“The four victims are true victims,” he said.

I think he's wondering about the old lady, the linked article makes no mention of her.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think he's wondering about the old lady, the linked article makes no mention of her.
A) I don't know why

B) It is actually meaningless to the incident

Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
A)

Believe me when I say that I'm in total agreement.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
A) I don't know why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Believe me when I say that I'm in total agreement.
Everything seems rife with conspiracy when your brain is clouded by the ganja.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
She. I am a she. Not a he.

The old lady would not have meant much until you claimed an affiliation with the old lady. Some one that you personally knew. That blew chow.
Be that as it may,

I am not anti-gun, therefore, it is obvious that they were defending themselves. Had I been anti-gun it would be worth arguing. You have no way of knowing precisely how many guns have been stolen and used in crime. You won’t find stats and do you know why?

I have never heard the following items said:
[SIZE=2] 
[/SIZE]
Quote:
You don't need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I'm a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn't own guns."

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."
This is not to say that I have not met my share of Kumbaya folks.

See, here is the thing that kills me about people that jump up and down about how gun ownership cures rape and how this is all about self defense. Because, your going to need a healthy dose of martial arts to go with that. You need to be able to take any weapon away from your opponent. What I have not figured out is why nobody brings this up especially in discussing violent crimes. It is also recognized, from my end, that there are times when this type of self defense is not an option. By the same token, there are times where using a weapon as self defense is not an option.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
The old lady would not have meant much until you claimed an affiliation with the old lady. Some one that you personally knew. That blew chow.
Are we all discussing the same incident here? I'm pretty sure we are, and if so, this is the post that started this tangent:

Quote:
While it IS unfortunate, it is a FACT that personal attacks happen - and happen all to often.

In the area where I reside, this past Tuesday, a home was broken into by two violent attackers (we call it a home invasion). The invaders nearly killed one of the elderly occupants by savagely beating him. The other homeowner was able to get to their firearm - SHE shot and killed one of the "invaders", and shot and wounded the other (who was later arrested at a hospital where he was seeking treatment for a gun shot wound).

Ignoring the FACT that attacks can (and do) happen is merely burying your head in the sand.
As you can clearly see, NOBODY has "claimed an affiliation with the old lady". That's a connection that you made in your own mind, and you argued the hell out of it when it's not only incorrect, but also completely insignificant in the context of the debate. Why? Who knows. We're all just as confused about it as you apparently are.

Quote:
You obviously haven't been reading Tricky's posts.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
She. I am a she. Not a he.

Be that as it may,

I am not anti-gun, therefore, it is obvious that they were defending themselves. Had I been anti-gun it would be worth arguing. You have no way of knowing precisely how many guns have been stolen and used in crime. You won’t find stats and do you know why?

[SIZE=2] 
[/SIZE]

This is not to say that I have not met my share of Kumbaya folks.

See, here is the thing that kills me about people that jump up and down about how gun ownership cures rape and how this is all about self defense. Because, your going to need a healthy dose of martial arts to go with that. You need to be able to take any weapon away from your opponent. What I have not figured out is why nobody brings this up especially in discussing violent crimes. It is also recognized, from my end, that there are times when this type of self defense is not an option. By the same token, there are times where using a weapon as self defense is not an option.
As a general rule a firearm , or other lethal tool, is considered a last ditch choice. A person who chooses to arm themselves MUST have a brain. The stress that occurs in a defensive situation is massive and can cloud judgment, and there is no actual 'state of readiness' that one can obtain that will cover all the bases. Not even the highest trained operatives in LE and the military are truly 'ready' for their first taste of combat. There are many situations where a firearm should not be the first choice. Professional defensive training types always advocate a less than lethal defensive backup plan, be that pepper spray, a taser etc, and the option of backing away without ANY force at all being used is the way they most strongly advocate. Avoid and/or defuse the situation. Going through a defensive shooting investigation is not a pleasant thing, justified or not. If you have to fire your weapon, things have gone completely south, an the fallout from your actions will follow you forever, regardless if the goblin you were facing richly deserved killing or not. But when the situation warrants leathal force, it's better them than you and/or your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates