Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Somebody already preceded the Pelosi reference, in fact the OP, with the barfworthy comment about Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM

If you are quick enough, you can see a fine example of Wikipedia Vandalism here:

Juana Inés de la Cruz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you link to a site where I can read a few lines of her work? I've googled and failed to find any.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you are quick enough, you can see a fine example of Wikipedia Vandalism here:

Juana Inés de la Cruz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can you link to a site where I can read a few lines of her work? I've googled and failed to find any.
Yeah, it looks like the Wikipedia site is trashed for sure! My own material about her is primarily from a class I took dealing with feminism (she is regarded as somewhat an early feminist) and also from Spanish literature study. Feminism was really was not her main pursuit, though. It was mostly literary, although she had a voracious appetite for general knowledge, study, thought, and philosophy as well. Of course, her works are in Spanish. I have one book of her collected work (in Spanish) floating around here somewhere, but they are also translated to English in other books and literary ‘canonical’ works. Sadly, she isn’t all that well known nowadays--a bit more in the Spanish-speaking culture, but not so much outside of it. The thing that amazes me about some of these ‘prodigious’ women from the past is that the actually pushed their way through the male dominance of the time. It’s really quite inspiring.

But to answer the question, yes there is quite a void on the web. There are several good books of her work in print, though (most in Spanish, but some in English as well).

This isn't the greatest bio, but it's about the best I can see on the web:
Cruz, Juana Inés de la: Biography from Answers.com

As for her works, there is a 'void' on the web for sure!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM

IMDB lists five movies and TV series about her, one as early as 1935. None has been seen by enough people to be rated on IMDB. I guess she's not ready to be on the cover of People Magazine.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A cowgirl-philosopher-Steven Hawking? Now there is an image that won't go away for a while. How about having an ostrich as an egg donor instead? That way the progeny could just stick its head in the sand or under its right wing if it didn't like the politics of the day.

I'm sure politics will always ruin a good mind, but nonetheless we shouldn't stop trying. Perhaps we could have a triumvirate of scholarly types like, say, G. DubYah Bush, Oprah Winfrey and, oh let's see.... Al Franken, presiding over all decisions. At least the ones they could hope to understand.

I mean, I like to be fair and all....

Eugenics doesn't work. That is the first problem.

I'm not so sure. I recently dound out hat one of the ABBA girls is the progeny of some Nazi war experiments. Yah can't look at her and keep an "even keel", if you know what I mean.

The second problem is that Steven Hawkings makes errors. Don't say I'm being supercilious, he himself has admitted that some of his ideas don't work, and a lot of scientists are tired of the pop science cult that has grown up around him, overshadowing the more valid work of others.

I never said this offspring would be inerrant, just perhaps able to figure things out that we can't. My cat, Dottie The Wonder Cat, despite a wisdom well beyond her years, still can't understand my DVD player, despite my earnest expanations. Some things just go beyond the intellect, and in the case of humanity, it seems we need some help with our philosophical basics, IMHO. Before we kill ourselves off.

Then there is "I used to know this stunningly beautiful & very intelligent cowgirl-philosopher" as a posit for the egg donor. Do I sense you are trying to be a live action sperm donor with her, and your post is just an amorous attempt to get your Winchester into her chaps?

Oh I wish. I could build a very special custom "gun" for such an event. A real long-range rifle! Sadly, I haven't spoken to her for, literally, years. (Our children would have been special though, I just know it. A man can dream can't he?)

(BTW, I just hung around her "for her articles", not the pictures...). Apparently this is her...

http://quads.ca/bb/download/file.php?avatar=119.jpg (broken link)

Well, keep up with the suggestions. I always wanted to know who the real bright femmes were in this world. I'm pretty sure Stephen is reading along in anticipation as well. I forgot about Geena; thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates