Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times

Advertisements

My personal thought is that very few people are in a position to be able to judge the relative merits of various religions. Most religions demand either adherence and avoidance of teachings that are contrary, or a taking of the basic concepts on faith.

Then there is the question "is the practice based in spirituality and edification, or is it a 'religion' of dogma, or is it a social club masquerading as religion?" Most seem to be mixes of those three components, and most of the adherents have absolutely no clue how their religion developed or what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Some religions (Islam) believe that if they can't convert you, they should kill you.
There are three million Muslims in the USA. How many of them have knocked on your door and tried to convert you? How many have you seen standing outside the mall handing out literature to try to convert you? How many have tried to kill you?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Compared to Islam? Yes.
Christianity with a few exceptions outlined in the Bible is a religion of mercy and forgiveness.
Islam is a religion of conversion at the end of a sword and punishment by mutilation and death for non-adherence.
from what I have read Islam does forgive, here is a link
http://www.hawaiiforgivenessproject....s-in-Islam.pdf
I would think animal scarifice is not from any main stream religion, the people I hear tell me I won't go to heaven becuae I do not believe like they do have been Christians.

Last edited by hothulamaui; 05-10-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 11:11 AM

Thank you for posting that. I didn't want to look it up myself.

BTW, when the Crusaders arrived in what were the Muslim lands, they were treated hospitably as guests and awarded free and unhindered passage to Christian historical sites.. The problems did not arise until the Crusaders started to massacre their infidel hosts.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM

the one thing that has always puzzled me is if you believe your religion is superior, what about the other religions that millions of people believe in, are they ALL mistaken?

Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the one thing that has always puzzled me is if you believe your religion is superior, what about the other religions that millions of people believe in, are they ALL mistaken?
Of course they are. Millions of people are also mistaken when they don't express the appropriate support for my favorite sports team, too, and dare to root for somebody else undeserving of their loyalty.

Everybody should know that my favorite team is the best, and we only lose because of bad luck or unfair refs, or the other team cheating somehow.

The thing that makes my favorite team the best is the simple fact that they play in the city I was born in, which is irrefutable proof of their superiority.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by hothulamaui
Quote:
If you believe that your religion is superior all other religions can only be inferior.
This is why I don't like to think in terms of superior & inferior.
Like in the case of Highlander: 'There can only be one.'

Old 05-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Like in the case of Highlander: 'There can only be one.'
Not the only option. There can be None.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Thank you for posting that. I didn't want to look it up myself.

BTW, when the Crusaders arrived in what were the Muslim lands, they were treated hospitably as guests and awarded free and unhindered passage to Christian historical sites.. The problems did not arise until the Crusaders started to massacre their infidel hosts.
The Muslims who were in the Holy Lands would not have actually played the role of hosts had not Islam exploded violently out of desert to conquer those lands in the first place.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 PM

thanks for the word "adherents" this helps me to put it in perspective as well as to jtur88 for the sports team analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates