Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok
Quote:
I'm not about to read through this thread in its entirety, but I will answer the question posed. No, Christianity is not superior to other religions.
True, but they like to believe they are.

Unfortunately when it comes to religions what you believe (read: dogma) is far more important than simple straight facts.
What is even worse is that the same can be said about bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:05 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Since each believes it is the only true way and they all can't be right it is logical to conclude that none are.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by old_cold
Quote:
Since each believes it is the only true way and they all can't be right it is logical to conclude that none are.
Not really.
What would be logical is to use the process of elimination, unfortunately when it comes to religion proof has become irrelevant.

Besidez, it could be that 1 religion has it right.
Unfortunately that can't be proven either.
So it would be better to say that no religion is superior to the other.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,307 times
what's wrong is when someone claims a value or dogma is ethical when it actually isn't and vice versa. but that's the point because it's about their agenda and is it actually ethical. claiming that it is "right"(ethical) doesn't mean it is. but they are claiming it's 'right' so they can continue with their agenda even if it's contrary to their front.

i don't find any religion or philosophy to be without major flaws in that they shouldn't be followed like a cult. it's like someone insisting they have everything within a set and without flaw when it actually is not the case. it's imaginary but more importantly dangerous.

even buddhism which i agree with the observation that life equals suffering has some major faults as well in actual practice because it is too passive and paradoxically in the end perpetuates or condones the very same predatory practices and values it's trying to combat or teach. the other erroneous and narrow precept is that desire is the root of all suffering and if you cease to desire it will end suffering, this is akin to self-punishment besides ignoring that suffering can be caused by others not just one's own desires which may be unhealthy, greedy or otherwise unattainable. it relies on the assumption that if they do this enough, others will see the value. some will perhaps but that's unrealistic because many won't or choose not to out of selfishness. so in some ways, it is actually immoral. a value isn't real unless it's practiced in light of alternate choices or temptation. a murderer is still a murderer even though there may not be anyone left to kill, for example. buddhism doesn't address that and is too forgiving to a fault. BUT AND A VERY BIG BUT, there are very critical values within that philosophy that are true and ethical. now, if EVERYONE was tolerant and humane then it would not be an issue. well, everyone isn't and sometimes you have to fight back or even kill. though i've criticized buddhism, it is one of the most humane, honest and beautiful philosophies ever conceived. What's unique about it is that it contains the values a person SHOULD be practicing for a humane world. in a perfect world, everyone would be a buddhist.

same thing with other religions which are intolerant, more predatory and prejudicial which is the other extreme still with concepts such as forgiveness of 'sins' and salvation(once saved always saved; then morals in reality have no bearing and is immoral) which are very exploited most by those within the religion. this actually is no different than being elitist and if you are part of a group by joining then you are excused from moral responsibility since you will not go to hell because you are a 'christian', 'muslim', 'catholic' etc.

Last edited by leaana; 05-12-2009 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by leaana
Quote:
i don't find any religion or philosophy to be without major flaws in that they shouldn't be followed like a cult. it's like someone insisting they have everything within a set and without flaw when it actually is not the case. it's imaginary but more importantly dangerous.
True.
Then again, nothing in life is perfect.
Religions who claim to be perfect, thus superior, automatically won't get my support.

I guess I've eliminated 99.9999999999% of the religions?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by leaana True.
Then again, nothing in life is perfect.
Religions who claim to be perfect, thus superior, automatically won't get my support.

I guess I've eliminated 99.9999999999% of the religions?
some things in life are perfect in practicality and can be perfected in use. there is no excuse to perpetuate something with the excuse that nothing is perfect, therefore i will not correct it or is not responsible.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by leaana
Quote:
some things in life are perfect in practicality and can be perfected in use.
I simply believe that everything can be improved, therefore nothing is perfect.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana I simply believe that everything can be improved, therefore nothing is perfect.
agree

Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok True, but they like to believe they are.

Unfortunately when it comes to religions what you believe (read: dogma) is far more important than simple straight facts.
What is even worse is that the same can be said about bigotry.
So now you are comparing a harmless little old lady sitting in a pew thumbing through her rosary beads to Archie Bunker or some Nazi skinhead?

Get a life man. 99.9% of all Christians (I grew up Catholic) don't proselytize to anyone and the only thing that they would do to you is to wish you well and/or pray for you. Heaven forbid!

The really ironic thing here is that you jerks are exhibiting the exact same behavior that you are railing about.
You believe that you know the true path and that the Christians are the misguided fools.
Sound familiar?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Just as logical to conclude that they all are.
Most religions worship a God. Is it a stretch that since no religion actually has a photo of their God that they may be worshipping the same one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates