U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I refuse to argue with people who have no comprehension of the impact of centrally plnned economic systems.
And you think you do? Give me an example of a modern communist state that was left alone to develop its economy according to its merits, which failed.

You cannot have a "comprehension of the impact" without an example to study. Communist states did not fail because of the impact of their centrally pinned economic systems, but by the impact of America's powerful single-minded dedication to destroying them, with decades of bloody war if necessary, or at the very least, constant threats of nuclear annihilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And you think you do? .
Well...as a matter of fact. I do.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well...as a matter of fact. I do.
Based on what real-world example? You forgot to answer that part of my question.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,526,053 times
Quote:
Communism didn't work in Russia, China, Vietnam, North Korea, Cuba....do we really want to make examples out of ourselves?
OK. How did the Soviet Union rise to a world superpower? Why is it that the U.S. would be in shambles right now without loans from China?

And if you ask me, we've already made examples out of ourselves.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
OK. How did the Soviet Union rise to a world superpower? Why is it that the U.S. would be in shambles right now without loans from China?

And if you ask me, we've already made examples out of ourselves.
I've been to Russia. I've been to China. The people are so poverty stricken ... impoversished and destitute. After you've seen that, you think Tiajuana looks good.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 PM

I was in Russia in 1968, when the communists ruled. I did'nt see anybody that looked poverty stricken. Everyone had adequate housing, nobody was hungry, although they might have been somewhat bored with their diet. Every child was in school, everybody had health care and there were plenty of doctors. I'm going to assume that you were there after 1989, so anything you saw that was worse than what I saw can be blamed on the capitalists who took over.

I spent a couple of weeks in the rural provinces of Guangxi and Guizhou, traveling from small town to small town by myself on local busses. Everybody was eating well, everybody was adequately housed and dressed. There were no beggars, there was no sign of hunger of homelessness or debilitating illness. Sadly, there probably are worse conditions in the cities, but I saw few cities. The people appeared to be at least as well off as in Indonesia, and better off than in Nepal, and certainly much better off than in Bangladesh, despite the miracle of capitalism on those countries.

I'm still waiting for you prove your point by naming the country where communism was allowed to go on without American punishment, and failed anyway.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was in Russia in 1968, when the communists ruled. I did'nt see anybody that looked poverty stricken. Everyone had adequate housing, nobody was hungry, although they might have been somewhat bored with their diet. Every child was in school, everybody had health care and there were plenty of doctors. I'm going to assume that you were there after 1989, so anything you saw that was worse than what I saw can be blamed on the capitalists who took over.

I spent a couple of weeks in the rural provinces of Guangxi and Guizhou, traveling from small town to small town by myself on local busses. Everybody was eating well, everybody was adequately housed and dressed. There were no beggars, there was no sign of hunger of homelessness or debilitating illness. Sadly, there probably are worse conditions in the cities, but I saw few cities. The people appeared to be at least as well off as in Indonesia, and better off than in Nepal, and certainly much better off than in Bangladesh, despite the miracle of capitalism on those countries.

I'm still waiting for you prove your point by naming the country where communism was allowed to go on without American punishment, and failed anyway.

Perhaps your defination of poverty differs from mine. Tiajuana was far more alive than Leningrad, Ufa, Shanghai, or Daleen, or Bejing.

But, other thgan that, click here to begin your education of why and how centrally planned economies deliver such poor long term resuylts. The only successful centrally planned economies that I know of are: war time economies, small companies, and totalitarian economies.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
i see the most unmotivated cynical bitter angry bunch of young people i could ever image. are you saying they are going to rescue us?

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i see the most unmotivated cynical bitter angry bunch of young people i could ever image. are you saying they are going to rescue us?
No. I didn't say that.

I said that today's youth will end up being just fine, once they enter the work force and start having families.

Besides we don't need to be rescued. What we could use though would be a large dose of personal responsibility.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 PM

458 posts, read 1,136,602 times
I think it is unfair to put that kind of pressure on todays youth. They will not fix what we broke in one generation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or