Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Private Property trolls?

I believe private property is the most important aspect of a good system and one of the basic rights of human beings...
I know you do. But, surprise, private property has only secondary import to the resolution of the debate in some of these threads. To try to force it as the primary focus of every thread makes you a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by dcashley
Quote:
Well, to stay off topic: Do you beleive that we all die? Is that not an absolute condition?
Nope, since the process of dying started the moment you were born.
Each second you are closer to death.
But since I've never died before I can't say this for certain.

I only know that life is only possible because there is death.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

I only know that life is only possible because there is death.
To stay off topic, do you believe that life is a separate discrete thing that resides in each living individual, but only as long as that individual can sustain it? Or do you believe that life is one of the all-pervasive things in the whole universe, like gravity, that certain beings can tap into?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
I own my home and the land surrounding it.

I own that which is below the surface (fee simple absolute ownership)

I decide what I want to do with my home. Should one day I decide I want to "burn it down", that is my right and may do so without interference.

I decide if I want to purchase and own a new automobile - and it is my decision how big that vehicle will be.

I have the right to travel across this great land - anytime I wish to - for as long as I wish to.

I have the right to make money, lose money, or give money away

I have the right to my possessions

And this right is absolute.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:13 PM

Don't forget the right to bear arms. Sine qua non. (sarcasm emoticon)

Those rights re not absolute. They are granted provisionally, on a day to day basis, by courts who have faith in the Constitution. This can be wihdrawn at any moment.

In fact, the supreme court has already ruled that your home can be siezed, for "just compensation" (to be deemed by the court), and handed over to me if I undertakes to increase the tax revenue from it.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Don't forget the right to bear arms.
Allow me to re-phrase slightly:

"A right to KEEP and bear arms"

Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by jtur88
Quote:
To stay off topic, do you believe that life is a separate discrete thing that resides in each living individual, but only as long as that individual can sustain it? Or do you believe that life is one of the all-pervasive things in the whole universe, like gravity, that certain beings can tap into?
No.
Life is not a separate entity.
Life is more like a condition.
You could say that (human) life is a sexually transmitted disease.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:26 PM

What if I told you that galaxies are but "molecules" (and stars "electrons") in an unimagineably large "living" organism that walks about and thinks, , and our known universe is but a mere cell in that living body? If you keep expanding the parameters, it becomes increasingly difficult to be sure where is the dividing line between "life" and "non-life".

And it makes Greatday's new automobile seem pretty insignificant.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jtur88
Quote:
What if I told you that galaxies are but "atoms" in an unimagineably large "living" organism, and what we think of as the known universe is but a mere cell in that living body?
I would have no way of knowing if that would be true or not.
Not that it would matter to me.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And it makes Greatday's new automobile seem pretty insignificant.
No it doesn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates