Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:32 AM

23,524 posts, read 13,747,505 times

Advertisements

Had an interesting insight a few minutes ago.

Given that war and perhaps even military service changes someone, is it not possible for a person to have died in way, if not for themselves, then for the others they left behind?

Now, on one side, one might say that is just quibbling (if not some new thinking hogwash) but on the other side, consider the divorce afterwards where, "You are no longer the person I married." Further, consider the divorce to be the minor example of such a change when there are probably greater examples.

Finally, look at it from this angle when seems to be such difficulty in taking care of the changed Vet. It's all well and good to remember the dead and buried, but they won't speak either way of such reverence.

So the question in the debate is, should Memorial Day be only about those who have biologically died?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM

3,490 posts, read 735,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

, should Memorial Day be only about those who have biologically died?
short answer " yes " .. the day for the living in veterans day .. regardless of mental or physical state ...

Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,899,952 times
The general definition of "memorial" as it pertains to a person kind of requires them to be dead doesn't it?

I mean, when you see a makeshift cross next to a highway, what are the chances that everyone survived the accident that took place there?

Memorial day is for those that gave their lives for our country, Veterans day is for those that have served our country.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:30 AM

191 posts, read 212,179 times
The origins of Memorial Day was when Confederate widows and orphan decorated the graves of their fallen warriors with flowers. To my Grandmother (born 1891) there was no Memorial Day; it was Decoration Day until for here until she died.

Over the years the "decoration" spread from not just soldiers graves to family members and friends in general, but the basic idea--decorating grave sites with flowers, still maintained.

Do you know any living veterans who have grave sites to decorate? That seems pretty darn morbid to me.

I also agree with the poster above, that Veteran's Day (formerly Armistice Day-why do they change the names?) is the proper time to celebrate all Veterans living and dead.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:42 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,263,920 times
Is our nation, and its "broken" educational system really so concerned with senseless conformity, obedience to authority and codified "fine points", -- that a question this ridiculous needs an "answer"?

Love of country, and the need for service to it, preferably by volunteers rather than the draft (which has been the tool of dictators and strongmen from Napoleon to Stalin) should arise naturally. An understanding, and acknowledgement of the unique circumstances which led to the founding of our nation and its remarkable system of constitutional government, ought to be sufficient.

The passing of both Adams and Jefferson, two scholarly men with opposing views, on precisely the fiftieth day of the signing of their greatest creation is something my personal sense of reality can't dismiss as anything but coincidence. But if those who are more prone to a mystical approach see it differently, I don't see the harm.

We have been entrusted with the care and development of a form of society which emerged during the early years of what is termed the Enlightenment -- and has survived and deposed some of the ugliest examples of man's inhumanity to man in the intervening years.

That is the real lesson of two national holidays on opposite sides of the calendar -- and the difference in the rationale isn't worth worrying about.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:51 PM

Well, to take it a step further for a moment, to those who are saying that yes, they should be dead, do you also agree that naming things, especially ships, after living people is wrong?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM

i`m hearing fireworks off in the distance .. i hardly think that`s appropriate ..and no . there`s nothing wrong with naming things after living people ..

Old 05-24-2015, 06:56 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,899,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, to take it a step further for a moment, to those who are saying that yes, they should be dead, do you also agree that naming things, especially ships, after living people is wrong?
Ships are often named after the living.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Ships are often named after the living.
Not really. It seems that is only a recent practice of the last generation starting with the Carl Vinson. Otherwise, however, take a look at all our destroyers and frigates, say from WWII through the Cold War and more often than not, I think one will find that they are named after DEAD people.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:46 PM

visiting my civil war relatives today and putting out flags i found one with an american flag stuck in the ground .. i felt very strongly about pulling it up and replacing it with the stars and bars ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates