U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM

38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
Default Sports and Drugs

Is there any way sports can extricate itself from this drug problem, or is sports as we know it going to cease to exist because of drugs?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:58 PM

485 posts, read 631,299 times
Sports will always be there...I think two sets of records should be kept one for the drug users and one for they older guys who was natural players!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM

11,852 posts, read 5,752,557 times
i realy don't care what those sports stars do!! they can do all the drugs they want.. they are so overrated and make way to much money for what they do..just my opinion no big deal.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:42 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,133,304 times
Unless athletes change their winning mentality (not caring how they win as long as they end up #1) drugs will always be a part of sport.
Weak minded individuals (whether they're athletes or not) will always take refuge in drugs.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 AM

5,227 posts, read 4,791,299 times
Whats the big deal? Drugs have been involved in sports for a thousand years.
The real question is why do we treat them as role models & why, even if we do, does each one need to be perfect?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tin Knocker
Quote:
The real question is why do we treat them as role models & why, even if we do, does each one need to be perfect?
Purely for endorsement purposes?
Nobody wants to be associated with a loser, right?
Except people who use drugs because they can't win on their natural ability are exactly that: losers.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Unless athletes change their winning mentality (not caring how they win as long as they end up #1) drugs will always be a part of sport.
Drugs were not a problem when players played to win. Drugs became a problem when players started playing for money. DIMaggio and Williams and Musial were paid enough to drive Cadillacs, but their teammates all had to have a winter job to support their families. There would have been no incentive then to take drugs.

Today, the minimum salary for a rookie is in the half-million neighborhood. Just getting enough of an edge to spend one season in the majors will assure a young player enough money to be well off for the rest of his life. That IS an incentive to take drugs.

Even at the Olympic level, winning a gold medal can mean several million dollars in endorsements. Absolutely worth the risk.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jtur88
Quote:
Drugs became a problem when players started playing for money.
I'm not talking about recreational drugs, but I guess you are?
I was only talking about illegal performance enhancers.

Quote:
Just getting enough of an edge to spend one season in the majors will assure a young player enough money to be well off for the rest of his life. That IS an incentive to take drugs.
It depends on how long they'll live after their sport career and what possible side affects the drugs cause.
I guess I have other considerations instead of the purely (obvious) economical ones.

Quote:
Even at the Olympic level, winning a gold medal can mean several million dollars in endorsements. Absolutely worth the risk.
Only if you're interested in winning against any price.
(That is if you're talking about illegal performance enhancers.)

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM

I was talking about nothing but performance-enhancing drugs. Manny Ramirez' enhanced performance netted him tens of millions of dollars that he would not have been offered without his enhanced performance. Minor League ballplayers get ten times as much money if the can enhance their performance just enough to make it to the big leagues for a season or two. Olympic gold winners are offered millions of dollars in endorsements that they would not have been offered without their enhanced performance.

Most important of all, spectators pay big money to watch Manny's enhanced performance, greatly to the satisfaction of MLB Inc., Fox Sports, and Bud Light. The Yankees just built a stadium and invited people to pay $2,000 a seat to watch enhanced performance.

There is no desire to win. There is desire to perform, individually, just before contract renewal time or arbitration or free-agency..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 AM

3,566 posts, read 2,937,002 times
I think that changed in the early 80's and with that shift to "professionally trained athletes" only need apply it closed opportunity. Now, we are a couple of generations into it and they don't remember it. I doubt it will revert itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates