Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Jack, before you post in this forum, you are required to read and understand the first two posts from the Moderator, and comply with the rules. If you don't understand the big words, look them up in a dictionary. If you don't have a dictionary, ask someone to explain it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
I am glad you posted! Because its poeple like you that knows what it feels like..And i imagine we could not even begin to walk in your shoes if we tried! In my eyes these kinda crimes or as bad as murder because victims have to live with what happened all there lives!
You might be glad to know that I broke the offender's nose and knocked a tooth out fighting back. He didn't get what he was trying for, but I did end up with a fractured rib. I am in 100% agreement with you on this. The laws protect the guilty, not the innocent.

I also feel that people who drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol should serve a minimum sentence, and if they actually maim or kill somebody they should serve very serious prison time.

If people know there is going to be a severe consequence for their actions, perhaps our streets and neighborhoods would be safer.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:05 PM

488 posts, read 1,024,558 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
You might be glad to know that I broke the offender's nose and knocked a tooth out fighting back. He didn't get what he was trying for, but I did end up with a fractured rib. I am in 100% agreement with you on this. The laws protect the guilty, not the innocent.

I also feel that people who drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol should serve a minimum sentence, and if they actually maim or kill somebody they should serve very serious prison time.

If people know there is going to be a severe consequence for their actions, perhaps our streets and neighborhoods would be safer.
I think we are on the same track! And it is good to hear you broke his nose! And i bet it still feels like thats not enough? Thats why these kinda laws should be a lot harder on the criminals! They are to busy writing seat belt tickets,because that make money for them!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Default creepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Jack, before you post in this forum, you are required to read and understand the first two posts from the Moderator, and comply with the rules. If you don't understand the big words, look them up in a dictionary. If you don't have a dictionary, ask someone to explain it to you.
You should get a life!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Even if you didn't have one registered sex offender within 50 miles of your house, and had children, why wouldn't the scare still be there? I don't understand!

Many of these sex offenders, before they were arrested, were living, perhaps, only a house or two away from you, and were you scared then? Would you have been able to identify a future sex offender? No!
A great number of these people look like model citizens of your community.

The same with registered murderers or rapists.

Sleep well!
True! At least we get a fighting chance?its a shame we dont know what they look like,It takes a crime before they are exposed! so someone learns the hard way...and its sad,but you are right nothing can be done but lockem up for life! i see your point...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I believe we need some compassion for some of these sex offenders in this compassion-deprived, witch-hunting country of ours.

At the turn of the last century, the age of consent was still 12, then increased to 14, then to 16 in the 1930's, if I'm not correct.

How many of you have seen photo albums of your grandparents, great-grandparents and you look upon them as model grandparents. If today's laws were in effect then, how many of them would be serving prison sentences for having sex with a minor? or future wife?

The age of consent is still 14 in Italy. So for those sex offenders who got caught having sex with someone 14 in this country, would not be labeled a sex offender in Italy. Or any number of countries in the world with various ages of consent.

This country is never happier when they're on a witch-hunt. Look how happy the anti-smoking zealots are today. And how happy they were in the 50's chasing down Pinko's and Commie's.

And the next witch-hunt? Who's next in line? To be on the safe side, keep that passport renewed and handy.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Default 3rd world

Quote:
I believe we need some compassion for some of these sex offenders in this compassion-deprived, witch-hunting country of ours.

At the turn of the last century, the age of consent was still 12, then increased to 14, then to 16 in the 1930's, if I'm not correct.

How many of you have seen photo albums of your grandparents, great-grandparents and you look upon them as model grandparents. If today's laws were in effect then, how many of them would be serving prison sentences for having sex with a minor? or future wife?

The age of consent is still 14 in Italy. So for those sex offenders who got caught having sex with someone 14 in this country, would not be labeled a sex offender in Italy. Or any number of countries in the world with various ages of consent.

This country is never happier when they're on a witch-hunt. Look how happy the anti-smoking zealots are today. And how happy they were in the 50's chasing down Pinko's and Commie's.

And the next witch-hunt? Who's next in line? To be on the safe side, keep that passport renewed and handy.
The fact is we dont live there!And if anyone touched my 14 year old child in any country or i caught them touching anyones child i would most likely wind up in jail!I will stand up for people who cant defend themselves!! sorry to disagree...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM

your compairing diffrent things in my view!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
Most states if not all just send a letter or you have to go online to see whats lerking around our kids! What would be the best thing to do to make it so he or she stands out? A licence plate on there car or a braclet they have to weare every place they go? I went online and found we have 5 within a 5 mile radius of our home! I was shocked because i know one of them and never knew he was a molester! Scarry i have three kids....what more can be done to let us know?

branded?

heck no, castrated yes.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,428 times
Quote:
It's hard to have compassion for people who knowingly break the law and inflict pain and emotional scars on others. I do feel that people can change their ways, and if they do, then they have a right to a second chance. I think the compassion should be for the millions of victims of crime.

Quote:
That was back in the turn of the century up to the 30's. This is 2009. That sort of thing is no longer acceptable, and for good reason. Also, the key word is CONSENT. If a person is raped or hurt against their consent, there is no point to this argument.

Quote:
Again, we are talking about an era gone by, and not all instances of that were right. God only knows the abuse that went on back then, that never was addressed or punished.

Quote:
This is America where the law is different. Again, the phrase CONSENT is key here.

Quote:
This country is never happier when they're on a witch-hunt. Look how happy the anti-smoking zealots are today.
A non smoker standing up for their rights to not breathe in other people's filthy habit is just that, their right. I'm glad the goverment finally took action, I'm sick of breathing in that filth, and seeing people get cancer due to second hand smoke.

Quote:
So, we should all stand by and let people break the law and victimize others with any thing they feel like because it might hurt the perpetrator's feelings or interrupt their lives with prison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates