Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Is there no difference between a stupid 20-year old, having consensual sex with a girl who lied to him - and a stupid 20-year old who is preying on children?
That is one point in my post above yours but in the eyes of society every offender on a sex registry is a child raping scum of the earth. Which let me clearly state a person having sex with children is all that and more. But.......... there are situations that are no more worth life sentences than say a midwife taking liberties of other medical matters than just child birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
I am against the idea of branding anyone for anything -- but as an aside, I find funny the implication that child molestation is a result of "stupidity".

Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
That is one point in my post above yours but in the eyes of society every offender on a sex registry is a child raping scum of the earth. Which let me clearly state a person having sex with children is all that and more. But.......... there are situations that are no more worth life sentences than say a midwife taking liberties of other medical matters than just child birth.
You're right.

What the young man that I mentioned did was stupid, wrong and inexcusable. But he did not go out, seek out, and prey on an innocent victim. He linked up with a girl who told him she was 19 - and I assume she probably looked the part, though I've never met her.

What he did was what most young men his age are tempted to do - specifically, become sexually active with a young lady whom he assumed was his age.

What pedophiles do is something entirely different. I don't think they're after sexual release and gratification. Something else is driving them.

Also, I don't think that the young man whom I'm talking about will ever be stupid enough to put himself at risk, as he did. But I don't know that pedophiles and other violent sex offenders are ever "cured" no matter what consequences they face.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I am against the idea of branding anyone for anything -- but as an aside, I find funny the implication that child molestation is a result of "stupidity".
I can't speak for others but I can for myself since I responded to the post you are referencing. I never implied that "child molestation is a result of stupidity". If I was implying I would say it is connected to selfishness with a touch of mental illness but still that isn't an excuse to harm a child.

Quote:
What pedophiles do is something entirely different. I don't think they're after sexual release and gratification. Something else is driving them.

Also, I don't think that the young man whom I'm talking about will ever be stupid enough to put himself at risk, as he did. But I don't know that pedophiles and other violent sex offenders are ever "cured" no matter what consequences they face.
I don't claim to know what makes a pedophile tick but I agree there is no "cure". They say hell has no fury like a woman scorned but that woman couldn't hold a candle to a mama whose baby has been harmed.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I don't claim to know what makes a pedophile tick but I agree there is no "cure". They say hell has no fury like a woman scorned but that woman couldn't hold a candle to a mama whose baby has been harmed.
At times, I've thought that convicted child molesters/rapists ought to be castrated. But I'm not convinced. Since those acts are primarily not sexual, I don't know that removing the testicles would have much effect. On the other hand, they are acts of violence - and testosterone is central to that behavior. So... Schnutz or no schnutz...

Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
At times, I've thought that convicted child molesters/rapists ought to be castrated. But I'm not convinced. Since those acts are primarily not sexual, I don't know that removing the testicles would have much effect. On the other hand, they are acts of violence - and testosterone is central to that behavior. So... Schnutz or no schnutz...
I vote whack 'em. But then what do you do with female offenders?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:57 PM

488 posts, read 1,025,142 times
Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I don't believe in the death penalty, but could make an exception for child molesters.

That being said, there's a little clause in the Bill of Rights about no cruel and unusual punishment.
When a child is violated they have to live with that all there life! It never goes away,They slap the perv on the wrist and he or she goes on with life...example i know a guy who i never dreamed was a offender...his children 4 of them came out and told...3 weeks later he killed himself everyone for the most part felt bad over the guy killing himself! When i was asked honestley how i felt i told the truth...I said he done the proper thing! And as wrong as it sounds that is my feelings!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM

488 posts, read 1,025,142 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
A molested child is branded for the rest of there life...in there mind!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
When a child is violated they have to live with that all there life! It never goes away,They slap the perv on the wrist and he or she goes on with life...example i know a guy who i never dreamed was a offender...his children 4 of them came out and told...3 weeks later he killed himself everyone for the most part felt bad over the guy killing himself! When i was asked honestley how i felt i told the truth...I said he done the proper thing! And as wrong as it sounds that is my feelings!
See that proves one of my points that sex offenders are selfish they only think about themselves. Violating a child for their own "purposes" then this bum when outted kills himself. Why? Because he always knew what he was doing was wrong but was too selfish to stop and seek help him self.

He might of taken his life but that doesn't stop the harm, hurting, failure these kids will have the rest of their lives. When they were the innocent ones to begin with.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
All these responses talk about stereotypical sex offenders as single, loner men easily banished to prison or a bullet to the head.

I'm not necessarily against that, but let's get clear on 'who' we are talking about. Most sex offenders are married guys with easy access to vulnerable children or to the wives they abuse.

I believe alcohol is a huge enabler in this as well. So please adjust your vision to much closer to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates