Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Actually I have heard talk that they should have to have a license plate that advertises their registered sex offender status, the same with drunk drivers.
Few, if any states, have a license plate that identifies someone convicted of DUI

If I'm wrong - I'd sure like to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Well if you are a rapist or child molester you shouldn't be allowed back into society. Life in prison, period. Most molesters and rapists will repeat their crime in the course of their lifetime, throw them in a cell and let them rot.

Now there are different levels of sex offender. Someone who got caught with a prostitute or in a massage parlor can be labeled a sex offender, in that case you have ask yourself is this person really a menace to society or just some poor sucker who got caught paying for sex with a consensual adult? It's a crime, but I don't think they should be labeled sex offenders. The whole concept of sex offender is idiotic...if you are dangerous enough to be labeled, then you don't belong outside of prison walls.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Few, if any states, have a license plate that identifies someone convicted of DUI

If I'm wrong - I'd sure like to know
What I meant to say is there was discussion of putting this into practice, I know of NO states that have actually done this.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:16 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I don't believe in the death penalty, but could make an exception for child molesters.

That being said, there's a little clause in the Bill of Rights about no cruel and unusual punishment.

Aint nothing cruel or unusual about execution. It was very common when they wrote that. Not much recidivism back then either.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
noooo that's not good enough!!! all of them child molesting rapest should get branded with a branding iron right in the middle of there forehead with the letters CR child rapest... just like they brand horses or cows no mistaking then that way.
What happens to the wrongfully accused then?

To the 13 yo caught grabbing a boob feel at school?

To the one that the "child" lied about their age to them?

What about the underage sex partner that parents gave consent to their partner?

These are all cases that have happened should they be branded for life? I like the permanent bracelet idea someone had as well as not letting them out of prison for their lifetime.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,226,849 times
Originally Posted by Jaxson
Quote:
If ya only execute sex offenders after the 3rd conviction you can be safe that they aren't innocent.
You might be wrongly accused in the 1st trial, but being wrongly accused for the 3rd time?

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
for child rapists then i beleive they should be "outted". but it does get tricky when you have a 18 or 19 y/o high school senior with his 16 year old girlfirend.

there are lots of cases where the sex was consentual, but one partner reached the age of maturity and the other didnt.

i also dont think getting caught having sex on the beach should be cause to label someone as a sex offender.

but child rapists and predators, yes, throw the book at them.

i do think we have become a bit puritanical. hypocritical even.

i am in no way advocating to lower the legal age of consent. but it stirkes me as add, that a 14 year old can be tried as an adult for a crime, but wont be considered an adult when it comes to sexual relations...

thats more of an argument to raise the age for sentencing minors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

To the 13 yo caught grabbing a boob feel at school?

To the one that the "child" lied about their age to them?

What about the underage sex partner that parents gave consent to their partner?

These are all cases that have happened should they be branded for life? I like the permanent bracelet idea someone had as well as not letting them out of prison for their lifetime.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,000 times
If there was life in prison for rapists and child molestors, there would be no need for a brand.

They really shouldn't be let out, ever.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by JaxsonIf ya only execute sex offenders after the 3rd conviction you can be safe that they aren't innocent.
You might be wrongly accused in the 1st trial, but being wrongly accused for the 3rd time?
I understand about a 3rd time but there are many wrongfully accused and convicted on sex registries now. I want no 2nd chances for true sex predators. All I am saying is I know "victims" can lie or families can push forward because it is more "acceptable" if their darling was preyed upon as opposed to having consensual sex.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,662,881 times
I know a young man who is a registered sex offender.

Now... Before you all string him up and cut off his schnutz, let me explain. Several years ago, when he was (I think) 20, he linked up and started messing around with a girl who repeatedly told him she was 19. Turns out she was 16.

So a horny, stupid young man is in lots of trouble and is now a registered sex offender.

Is there no difference between a stupid 20-year old, having consensual sex with a girl who lied to him - and a stupid 20-year old who is preying on children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates