Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 AM

191 posts, read 809,750 times

Advertisements

This is a good thread because you can read things here that you won't hear in mixed company or office conversation.

I have talked to a couple of people with bachelors and masters degrees, and asked them, "Do you think that, because black people look more like apes than whites, that they are less evolved?" And their reply was something like, "Yes I do, but if tell anyone that I said it I will deny it."

And so racism has gone underground, and it is hard to deal with now that it is off the table. You don't know what the other person is thinking.

One guy told me he didn't want basketball courts being built at an athletic complex he was building because it would attract too many blacks. How many people would even know that? It's underground, in the shadows, in whispers. Blacks can't even protest it, because they weren't aware of it.

There are many comments about black people getting the short end of the economic stick. Who knows how many times they apply for a job and don't get hired because they are black, even though they are given other reasons?

The flip side of that coins is are they coming in to apply for a job with a flat-brimmed ball cap cocked sideways, baggy clothes with their butt crack hanging open, and slurring street slang? Then wondering why they didn't get a job, and they stay on the bottom of the economic ladder.

Same with rednecks coming in for a job with greasy fingernails, a chew, and saying, "ain't" and "shee-ut". People isolate themselves from the mainstream, of their own free will, then call themselves victims. That's America, I guess.

Last edited by italianbluesboy; 08-25-2009 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: just because

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM

12,958 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
This is a good thread because you can read things here that you won't hear in mixed company or office conversation.

I have talked to a couple of people with bachelors and masters degrees, and asked them, "Do you think that, because black people look more like apes than whites, that they are less evolved?" And their reply was something like, "Yes I do, but if tell anyone that I said it I will deny it."

You have to tell them that apes have straight hair, thin lips and when you peel their hair back their skin is usually white.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:49 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,991 times
Quote:

And so racism has gone underground, and it is hard to deal with now that it is off the table. You don't know what the other person is thinking.

One guy told me he didn't want basketball courts being built at an athletic complex he was building because it would attract too many blacks. How many people would even know that? It's underground, in the shadows, in whispers. Blacks can't even protest it, because they weren't aware of it.

There are many comments about black people getting the short end of the economic stick. Who knows how many times they apply for a job and don't get hired because they are black, even though they are given other reasons?

The flip side of that coins is are they coming in to apply for a job with a flat-brimmed ball cap cocked sideways, baggy clothes with their butt crack hanging open, and slurring street slang? Then wondering why they didn't get a job, and they stay on the bottom of the economic ladder.

Same with rednecks coming in for a job with greasy fingernails, a chew, and saying, "ain't" and "shee-ut". People isolate themselves from the mainstream, of their own free will, then call themselves victims. That's America, I guess.

LMAO...I thought I was the only person who noticed that.

I remember telling my sister that same thing, while we were driving by a new recreation center in the "good" side of town. I told her, "they were smart not to put any basketball goals up...that was a wise measure to keep those pesky, troublemaking blacks from integrating into the new rec. center."

she jokingly agreed.

lol..ahh stereotypes...gotta love em.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,597 times
Quote:

whats really the worst part is that some blacks and self hating whites geuinely believe only whites can be guilty of racism, but spend ten minutes in the city and you will see that's patently incorrect.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
I am rather shocked by audacity and ignorance implicit in the question. The question assumes racial categories are separate and evolve at different speeds. the science of DNA suggests otherwise.

Homo sapien sapien came out of Southeastern Africa about 200,000 years ago and spread from there. There is one single evolution and there is no race strictly speaking.

What there is evolution of a given migratory A via-a-vis its environment. African blacks spent the next 200,000 in the same environment and one which required the development and retention of pigmentation to defend against the harmful rays of the sun.

Some of these early men, migrated to Southern India and then to Australia and Melanesia. And there developed and/or retained a good deal of physical characteristics of our early Africanness. This is 45-50K years ago.

Another group migrated into the Central Asian steppes, the crossroads of humanity, from where several groups branched out (to Eastern Asia, Northern India, Northern Africa, Asia Minor and Europe) and stayed at the crossroads for some time, adjusting to the environment and needing to let more light in the skin (whiter and in some cases taller).

Man then arives into Europe 20,000-25,000 years ago. Man in Asia develops on its own until 15,000 years ago when another branch crosses into the Americas.

Dfined by the number of generations, evolution has been the same. All mankind has "evolved" the same number of generations. However, the moves, intermixing and environment faced by certain groups forced the DNA to morph in some optimal manner consistent with biological and intellectual survival. In other groups, different conditions required less change in DNA (less need to do so).

Fast forward to the 19th century. European explorers visit Papua New Guinea and see "stone age" man and think "hey, they are not as evolved as us." Wrong. They haev been evolving just the same as Europeans, with generations roughly 20 years apart. However the bounty at the equator in terms of ready food and fish and the warmth 12 months of the year disincentivized the need to change characteristics, physical and intellectual. this applies to language, dress, skin color, social org, economics, intellect, etc. At the same time, they have more generations of living closer to the land so that they have a sixth sense as to what nature dictates.

Now, take that guy from Papua New Guinea and over perhaps 3-5 generations, feed him, teach him, thrust him into competition, and allow his network of family to grow into wealth and technology, and low and behold, this guy is scoring high on the GREs or getting A's on his Cambridge IGCSE papers. His evolution, which has been always underway, just like the rest of us, now takes a turn into a different realm.

And of course, as he learns the rules for our Modern and essentially Westernized World, his old works begins to fade from memory.

We are all the same number of generations of evolution away from our chimp ancestors. Our differences are simply what our bodies needed to go through on the different 200,000 year journeys each have taken.

As Dr. Spencer Wells famously quoted, "We are all literally African under the skin." Africa is the home for all of us. And if the world 200,000 years ago in Africa is much like it is today, then one can make the argument that we all started as Black.

S.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:05 PM

not really because black is not the same as point of origin. by that logic anyone born in sweden is white.
while i appreciate your poetic license it is misleading and often quoted by those seeking to extend a pro-black agenda

Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
not really because black is not the same as point of origin. by that logic anyone born in sweden is white.
while i appreciate your poetic license it is misleading and often quoted by those seeking to extend a pro-black agenda
LOL! Your first sentence is unintelligible. Color is a continuum and the "decolorization" of Swedes likely took place over 10,000 generations (20 years per). You are imposing black and white in very limiting manner.

Swedes did not spring up from the earth white in Sweden. Same goes for all other races. Only if race color is itself a separate and fixed identifier, can we think of race as having differential evolution. This was one point I made. It is not misleading, but consistent with science and logic.

As to agenda, if anything, it consists of logic and science--only that bound by natural and mathematical laws. There is a lot of hokey mumbo jumbo passed of as science by those with PhD's who know they are selling snake oil.

To be blunt, whether I might have sympathies, I do not know nor care what the "pro-black agenda" is. Why not? It is irrelevant to the application of reason. Somethings I say might **** them off or Whites or Latinos or Asians. Other things will seem like I support their cause. But my only cause is injecting reason and civility into a discourse that has become ruled by extremists, village idiots, and provocateurs, the latter of whom wish only to drive us apart to justify their sad existence. In this sense, my cause is humanity and getting disparate groups to recognize it in our treatment of others.

You can look at pass posts if you wish or test me...But on the thread at hand, the science is become increasingly clear: We are all African.

S.
P.S. Note that the statement, we are "All African," does not necessarily well with a lot of Blacks, either. So what? Reason knows no color or agenda. All racial bigots across the color spectrum have to start letting go of their mythologies. And on this point, we all have a long way to go...

Old 08-28-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
LOL! Your first sentence is unintelligible.
S.
P.S. Note that the statement, we are "All African," does not necessarily well with a lot of Blacks, either.
irony?

anyway my point is, just because proto-humans derived from the land mass that would become africa does not mean humanity is african.

also, prehistoric african land mass humans may or may not have been of dark skin, while certainly they were darker than modern day europeans, there is no reason to believe that homo erectus for instance was black.

saying humans are all african is like saying all laws are Mesopotamian

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
irony?

anyway my point is, just because proto-humans derived from the land mass that would become africa does not mean humanity is african.

also, prehistoric african land mass humans may or may not have been of dark skin, while certainly they were darker than modern day europeans, there is no reason to believe that homo erectus for instance was black.

saying humans are all african is like saying all laws are Mesopotamian
Actually, many laws have a basis in Mesopotamia. The eye-for-an-eye and repayment stuff still goes on in many parts of the world. Maybe not all laws, but some laws. The death penalty, in some parts of the world your hand can be cut off for stealing. It is there, you just have to look deeper.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
People born in Sweden are likely to have white skin, but it comes from the environment. It is a high latitude place and the light skin is a response to low amount of sun rays. A person born in Africa is most likely going to be black, but that is a response to the environment, being in an environment with high amounts of sun rays at a low laititude. When humans migrated they adapted to their environment in many ways. Does that make anyone inferior? No. Just a product of their environment. Studies have been done of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates