Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM

481 posts, read 941,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Way way waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttt a minute.

Here all this time, you've been on this forum bi**hing and screaming about how minorities can't succeed, and how you claim to be both a minority and have a PhD?

Something is very wrong here! VERY wrong! You are either lying, or you're proving your main bi**hing points to be moot.
Please quote me where I have ever said minorities can't succeed. I must be having a fit of amnesia cause I don't remember ever saying anything to that extent. You are the one who said I was "crying victim" when that has never been my point at all. That was all you my dear. But I am a fair woman, so I will give you a few minutes to peruse my posts and find where I said "minorities can't succeed". I'll wait and run that catchy Jeopardy theme song in my head while I wait.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

You know what, forget it. Somehow I allowed myself to be pulled in to your debate tactic again which through past experience should have told me was just going to boil down to you calling me names again. You are nothing if not consistant and I am nothing if not a glutton for punishment.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,622,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Please quote me where I have ever said minorities can't succeed. I must be having a fit of amnesia cause I don't remember ever saying anything to that extent. You are the one who said I was "crying victim" when that has never been my point at all. That was all you my dear. But I am a fair woman, so I will give you a few minutes to peruse my posts and find where I said "minorities can't succeed". I'll wait and run that catchy Jeopardy theme song in my head while I wait.
63 posts, and they've all been about how unfair life is for minorities in the United States. Racism this. Bigotry that. Subtle undetectable prejudice here. Leers there.

So you've got a HUGE chip on your shoulder. I'm sure it has served you well through your few short years. But frankly, it is stupendously boring and predictable.

So be it.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
What they dont envision is the legacy by his father, and the nepotism that pulled GW into the Ivies....At any rate, I suspect that after watching the past 8 years of zany, clown-like gaffes, faux pas and out right mis-articulations, the current president is probably trying to play it safe by using a teleprompter...I dont blame him...lest he wind up bumbling, stumbling, and bungling speaking engagements to the extent that we have witnessed for the past two administrations..lol
That could very well be. Obama is, after all, nothing if not media savvy. And empty suit, yes. But very sharp on image.

It's also beginning to look like he better get on the ball and start fulfilling some of those MANY unfulfillable campaign promises, because his numbers aren't doing so well. He may even turn out to be a 1-term President, the way things are looking now.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
You know what, forget it. Somehow I allowed myself to be pulled in to your debate tactic again which through past experience should have told me was just going to boil down to you calling me names again. You are nothing if not consistant and I am nothing if not a glutton for punishment.
Yeah, you're right. You're a victim. Always a victim. Boo Hoo.

Tell me, did you get State and/or Federal Money to go to college for this PhD you supposedly have? How EVER could that have happened? You are, after all, a minority.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM

Few short years? Either that is a pun intended to remark on my size (which menas you must be stalking me) or you think I am quite young, which though not entirely true, is still quite flattering. Why thank you kind sir. Though I am still not too happy with you calling me a little girl. That was just offensive.

BTW, "succeeding inspite of discrimination" as I have said and "being a victim to discrimination" as you have implied, is not the same thing.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Few short years? Either that is a pun intended to remark on my size (which menas you must be stalking me) or you think I am quite young, which though not entirely true, is still quite flattering. Why thank you kind sir. Though I am still not too happy with you calling me a little girl. That was just offensive.

BTW, "succeeding inspite of discrimination" as I have said and "being a victim to discrimination" as you have implied, is not the same thing.
Always the victim. How comely.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,963,136 times
Quote:
63 posts, and they've all been about how unfair life is for minorities in the United States. Racism this. Bigotry that. Subtle undetectable prejudice here. Leers there.

So you've got a HUGE chip on your shoulder. I'm sure it has served you well through your few short years. But frankly, it is stupendously boring and predictable.

So be it.
This is what I meant when I said a many pages ago, that many whites are just fatigued of the whole white guilt thing...at this point there is an increasing population of whites who could care less how true the causes of the current black state are...

To be fair, I dont really fault anyone for doing so...Its hard for present day whites to correlate how the privileges they may take for granted today, actually have come at the expense of other races...thats not intended to put anyone on a guilt trip...Its unfortunate but it kind of just is what it is...

Its always going to be predictable though because it has already transpired, and the effects DO linger today..very palpably so, at that...that part is kind of inescapable and irreversible, regardless of how tired anyone is of hearing it, or how anyone feels about it...doesnt mean we shouldnt encourage the improvement of race relations tho IMO.

Last edited by solytaire; 07-13-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is what I meant when I said a many pages ago, that many whites are just fatigued of the whole white guilt thing...at this point there are an increasing population of whites who could care less how true the causes of the current black state are...

To be fair, I dont really fault anyone for doing so...Its hard for present day whites to correlate how the privileges they may take for granted today, actually have come at the expense of other races...thats not intended to put anyone on a guilt trip...Its unfortunate but it kind of just is what it is...

Its always going to be predictable though because it has already transpired, and the effects DO linger today..very palpably so, at that...that part is kind of inescapable and irreversible, regardless of how tired anyone is of hearing it, or how anyone feels about it...doesnt mean we shouldnt encourage the improvement of race relations tho IMO.
Look... My family ended up in the United States because of persecution and poverty. Am I supposed to hold onto that forever? How long do I blame that? Are we supposed to have special classes at every school, community college, and University about that, so I can start to get over it?

At what point do I say, "Hey, this is a country of INCREDIBLE opportunities!" and strike out after them?

How long does the old, "We're helpless victims" mantra go on before somebody rightly stands up and says, "Shut up and get on with life!"

The bottom line is that I don't feel one bit guilty about being White. It is what I am. I had no control over it. It just is what it is. But I also grew up extremely poor. I suppose I should have used that as an excuse, but my parents wouldn't let me. I pulled 22 hours per semester in undergrad, as well as working nearly 40 hours per week. I pursued years of graduate work after I was married and had 3 kids - in addition to working a full-time job the entire time. I have often worked two jobs. There is NO JOB I have ever had that any minority person couldn't have had. In fact I worked with minorities in most jobs I had. There is NO EDUCATION I received that any minority person couldn't have gotten. Oddly, I had "people of color" around me the entire time I was in college. So... I am now paid more money than I've ever been paid in my life - but it has come at a high price, and is the result of nearly a quarter-century of pursuit of the same career. It was NOT handed to me.

So basically, I have very little sympathy for the people who sit on their lazy butts and say it can't be done. Hogwash it can't! This is America. Millions of immigrants are coming here and succeeding marvelously, because it CAN be done. But you have to want it, and be willing to work for it.

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 07-13-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,963,136 times
Quote:
That could very well be. Obama is, after all, nothing if not media savvy. And empty suit, yes. But very sharp on image.

It's also beginning to look like he better get on the ball and start fulfilling some of those MANY unfulfillable campaign promises, because his numbers aren't doing so well. He may even turn out to be a 1-term President, the way things are looking now.
So says you...you are indeed entitled to your opinion...at least he wears suits eh?...A lot of people were getting tired of those worn out goat ropers we had to watch for the past 8 years...lol

I figure at least he's got 3 1/2 more years to operate...Oh well, If he doesnt accomplish anything, or worse yet screws up the economy beyond repair, there's always the chance that he can get some sort of shady re election bid, right?..that method has proven to be effective...

oops, I forgot, he doesnt have brothers in Florida and uncles in Ohio, and an Ex President for a father to guarantee him those swing states..lol..like you alluded to, he's going to actually have to EARN his legacy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.