U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 PM

812 posts, read 2,079,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
At the outset, I grew up in a very diverse neighborhood. One of my best friends is Asian. It's a crazy and naive notion to believe any race or ethnic group of people is perfect or "problem free". There are Asian gangs in this country, but they're not usually discussed or featured. Based on my exposure to, experiences and discussions w/ Asians and whites, Asians are not oppressed in this country to the same degree as blacks and hispanics because many whites, whether they'll admit it, or not, view themselves intellectually inferior to Asians. It's no secret Asians score pretty high on math and science tests, usually outscoring whites. When many whites speak of Asians, they do so w/ a bitter, resentful and jealous tone. As a result of such academic intimidation, they tend to shy away from Asians. Also, Asians are very ethnically and culturally-oriented. They have strong community pride, keep their traditions alive & relevant, pool their resources and work together well in keeping their communities thriving and successful.
absolutely not true. actually it's just the opposite. asians were the most scrutinized as unamerican and as 'others' than hispanics or blacks. they were also more harshly treated socially until very recently as that is changing say in the last five to ten years at most in usually more asian denser areas. No, asians were viewed and treated with more suspicion and deridement and again as 'outsiders'. blacks and hispanics treated with more accepting social acceptance which makes thier employment even easier but asians had to work that much harder. it's only recently because of the border issue that any significant negative stereotypes of hispanics has even surfaced. in a way, it's a lot more fair that blame is going around than just asians ridiculed for their looks and made to feel awkward when they are usually the least trouble-making. i think some asians now are getting tired of that role and resentful of it, including model minority etc because they work so hard yet face so much discrimination still, glass ceiling etc and even get punished through affirmative action. affirmative action works against asians most of the time.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:04 PM

382 posts, read 596,249 times
Wow, leaana. "Absolutely not true"? I think that's a tad bit exaggerated and extreme. I beg to differ... On this one: Do your research. If we were to poll this issue, I'm pretty sure more people would support my perception/stance than yours. Because one of my best friends is Asian, I've been around Asians enough and for a long time (since high school) and attended many Asian events. I've NEVER heard any one of them say they've ever felt or been treated "un-American". As a matter of fact, I've dialogued w/ them about this very issue. My opinion on this issue stems heavily from these discussions over the years. On the other hand, I attended a universty that was predominately white. The "curious" white students had lots of questions and openly discussed their issues/queries/stereotypes about minorities in classroom and social settings, since many of them had never been exposed to diversity. I even heard Asians being referred to as "computer" and "math geniuses". Even in corporate America, whites make wise cracks about the large number of Asian and Middleeastern engineers and how they're "taking over" and "stay to themselves". Let's keep it real!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,104,944 times
Basically, Asians are not considered a physical threat to anyone unlike blacks and latinos. Prove me wrong, when was the last time that you seen two asians walking down the street and you walk away to advoid them? Did you do act the same way when you see young blacks or latinos? The only people who are threatened by asians are professional whitemen and that is b/c of their work ethics

Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Sandpointian - In regards to this thread's original title and without wallowing in minutia and excuses for those that aren't Asian, I still stand by my original opinion that Asians immigrants and their American born successive generations are succeeding in the US because:

1. They fully appreciate the opportunities of living in the US and realize that being here is far better than being in their home country.
2. They don't wallow in the bad memories of the past, or if they do, it's only for the purpose of helping their drive to better themselves.
3. They instill in their children the value of a good higher education.
4. The intense desire to better their family's fortunes. And to that goal, they are willing to work several jobs at once, no matter how menial and without complaint.
5. They are good at living frugally and saving their money. They don't feel the need to impress others by flashing around material goods.
6. The whole family is willing to live together in close quarters and pool their money to the common family goal of buying real estate and/or sending the children to college and graduate school.
7. Having an extremely strong sense of preserving the family honor and having filial duty. Saving face is very important to Asians. Also equally as strong is having respect for one's family's elder adults... forever. Just because a child becomes an adult, doesn't mean that the young adult is now equal to their parents. And the oldest family members get the most respect and power. And that is a huge part of why there are hardly any teen pregnancies and single mothers in the Asian community and why welfare recipients are a rarity. Bringing shame upon one's family is very bad and cause for being disowned.
8. Others observing the Asians living here see them as quiet well behaved law abiding people. They never call out sick, they come to work on time. They are not known for being angry or aggressive people. They are easy to have as workers and co-workers.

Talk about the elite and the best of the Asians coming to the US all you want but they are actually the minority of the Asians here. And the majority of immigrants are those that were the poor and underprivileged in their home Asian countries. They are the ones working hard and quietly in the restaurants and in the hotels doing the menial work like housekeeping and janitorial staff.

This thread is not worth googling up the statistics to back up my posts. I feel that most will agree that if blacks and Hispanics followed the Asian way of thought and living, they would do a lot better in the US.

And very contrary to what others make think of this post, I believe that the original purpose of this thread was to help blacks and Hispanics to better in the US, not put any of them down. And there will be broad generalizations made, however none of us are writing a Ph.D dissertation here.

Yes, there are Asian gangs and criminals, but they tend to prey on other Asians. NPR featured a new book on the Snakeheads, the group that brought in illegal Asian immigrants. I recommend a listen to the broadcast. But again, that is delving into minutia.

Human Trafficking Revealed In 'The Snakehead' : NPR
interesting response but the question is about comparisions between blacks, latinos and asians. Which basically is about culture (blacks have lost alot of history due to slavery) and their past in dealing with racism throughout the generations here in the U.S which you have to admit is different from what other ethnicities had to go through here

Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Talk to police departments and ask them which gangs are growing fastest and becoming most dangerous. ASIAN GANGS ARE RUNNING RAMPANT IN CALIFORNIA.

Asian Gangs Los Angeles County
Asian American Gangs : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues

In cities with large Asian populations like San Francisco, there are significant problems with Asian gangs, but they have a tendency to be a bit more under-the-radar than other groups for some reason.

Just like everyone thinks of the Italian Mafia as being the sole organized crime force in the gangster era of this country, but many of the most notorious criminals were Jewish like Bugsy Siegal, Meyer Lansky and the rest of Murder, Inc.

Perception can throw off the truth because it blinds people to the facts.
They had good P.R

Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,470,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
I've NEVER heard any one of them say they've ever felt or been treated "un-American".

I even heard Asians being referred to as "computer" and "math geniuses". Even in corporate America, whites make wise cracks about the large number of Asian and Middleeastern engineers and how they're "taking over" and "stay to themselves". Let's keep it real!
Actually many Asian-Americans do tend to suffer from a "perpetual foreigner" stereotype. While they may carry an impeccable American accent and even American citizenship by birth, they are still seen by many as quasi-American at best. Many even go so far as adopting "Americanized" names as a means of somehow mitigating their perceived foreignness.

Now having said that, it is no secret that Asians benefit from being viewed as highly intelligent, meek, and industrious - all components of the "model minority" image. It is so much easier to go through life without the perpetual burden of having to essentially prove that you contain all of these qualities to a degree sufficient to justify you as "socially acceptable". Asians generally don't have to worry about having their intellectual capability called into question at every turn, many times even under the guise of academically-sanctioned "scholarly research".

Additionally, the threat of being viewed as a part of the criminal element solely due to skin color is virtually non-existent among Asians. In fact, many Asian store owners tend to be just as (if not more so) guilty of perpetuating the very system of racial profiling against blacks to which they know they will likely never fall victim themselves.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Now having said that, it is no secret that Asians benefit from being viewed as highly intelligent, meek, and industrious - all components of the "model minority" image. It is so much easier to go through life without the perpetual burden of having to essentially prove that you contain all of these qualities to a degree sufficient to justify you as "socially acceptable". Asians generally don't have to worry about having their intellectual capability called into question at every turn, many times even under the guise of academically-sanctioned "scholarly research".

Additionally, the threat of being viewed as a part of the criminal element solely due to skin color is virtually non-existent among Asians. In fact, many Asian store owners tend to be just as (if not more so) guilty of perpetuating the very system of racial profiling against blacks to which they know they will likely never fall victim themselves.
asians rarely benefit from the model minority stereotype, it just doesn't apply in everyday life most of the time. you are only seeing one side of the issue. asians because they are not seen as american as much are viewed also to be gullible, easily taken advantage of and not saavy. asians are often doubted at every turn because of stereotypes of less people skills or not enough creativity etc or that asians are not even intelligent at all but robotlike. this is how i was treated and pummeled with these stereotypes growing up and even worse on top of that being female, lurid sexual innuendos. someone even said to me 'do you know the ancient art of pleasure?' this person was a lot older than me.

as far as asian store owners, the only ones i see do profiling that are the ones deep in some ghetto and i don't hear that much about it occuring to the extent that it was before mostly because it's already been made an issue of and those asians were pretty naive about american culture. their reaction wasn't to 'profile' on purpose or that they had anything against blacks personally but they tend to react very pragmatically. i'm asian and i've had an ajumma yell at me in korea for loitering too much in her store and i was even turned away in one restaurant because i was dressed too casually. most koreans dress up especially in the city. asians get plenty of profiling, we have our own sufferings and issues as immigrants.

i can even post a program of asian adoptees and how lonely it was growing up feeling unaccepted and made fun of as well AND not finding any support system. these issues are quite common for a lot of asian-americans unless they just happen to have been the few lucky ones, some don't even admit it due to pride. i find it strange that you think asians are considered 'socially acceptable' considering a lot would disagree with that. asians unless they are striving for extremely high end positions with very intelligent people, have to kiss butt and make sure not to ruffle feathers more than any other ethnicity i've seen. period. this is not only a bit of racism but just that because a lot of asians are industrious. i've worked a lot of different jobs and they were always harder on asians or asians had to "prove" they were american, 'down', not stuck up, don't make others around you insecure, etc or they would make your life hell. it's a symptom of how racist america became toward asians and ridiculing them. i'm still not sure how that happened considering i didn't see a lot of asian minorities and also they tended to stay out of other's way. i have real life experience with this as well as many other asians, though some won't admit it.

Last edited by leaana; 08-15-2009 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Basically, Asians are not considered a physical threat to anyone unlike blacks and latinos. Prove me wrong, when was the last time that you seen two asians walking down the street and you walk away to advoid them? Did you do act the same way when you see young blacks or latinos? The only people who are threatened by asians are professional whitemen and that is b/c of their work ethics
but there is another aspect of it you are not seeing. asians are not anymore liked than anyone else. and on the positive side, hispanics and blacks are usually more socially accepted and people feel more comfortable around them because they seem more american. also they look more white or american since they have higher nose bridge and round eyes. these factors seem very important to americans and also how much they swagger, drawl out the language, lots of overt facial expressions and use a lot of animated hand gestures. this makes americans think you are 'relaxed' and a down to earth, "unsneaky" american and especially that headcock to the side to say 'we know we're great, aren't we?' americans are very good judges of character and just people in general.

i can see americans are very smart people. really. lol

Old 08-15-2009, 10:34 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,466,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
but there is another aspect of it you are not seeing. asians are not anymore liked than anyone else. and on the positive side, hispanics and blacks are usually more socially accepted and people feel more comfortable around them because they seem more american. also they look more white or american since they have higher nose bridge and round eyes. these factors seem very important to americans and also how much they swagger, drawl out the language, lots of overt facial expressions and use a lot of animated hand gestures. this makes americans think you are 'relaxed' and a down to earth, "unsneaky" american and especially that headcock to the side to say 'we know we're great, aren't we?' americans are very good judges of character and just people in general.

i can see americans are very smart people. really. lol

Ummmm... Huhh?

Old 08-15-2009, 10:37 PM

261 posts, read 584,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
absolutely not true. actually it's just the opposite. asians were the most scrutinized as unamerican and as 'others' than hispanics or blacks. they were also more harshly treated socially until very recently as that is changing say in the last five to ten years at most in usually more asian denser areas. No, asians were viewed and treated with more suspicion and deridement and again as 'outsiders'. blacks and hispanics treated with more accepting social acceptance which makes thier employment even easier but asians had to work that much harder. it's only recently because of the border issue that any significant negative stereotypes of hispanics has even surfaced. in a way, it's a lot more fair that blame is going around than just asians ridiculed for their looks and made to feel awkward when they are usually the least trouble-making. i think some asians now are getting tired of that role and resentful of it, including model minority etc because they work so hard yet face so much discrimination still, glass ceiling etc and even get punished through affirmative action. affirmative action works against asians most of the time.
No the other guy is right your dead wrong on this issue. How many asians get shot by police for crimes they never did? How many asians get hung by lynch mobs. Italians are more discriminated than asians. Sure people make fun of the way asians look but thats about it. No one ever not hires you for being asian. Affirmative action works for asians as when they apply to colleges it makes them say we have 30% non whites and there are almost all asians. Asians were not the most scruntinzed as unamerica, they were immigrants who came here and faced all the same discrimination that hispanics, german, italilians, irish and so on faced, but they have not faced an inch of the discrimination blacks and hispanics have faced, like being born in america and denied citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.