U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,501,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsMercy View Post
Okay, I would like to address a few things here. Some of the ignorance that continues to emerge in America is classifying Hispanics as a "brown race". Hispanic is an umbrella term that encompasses all countries that speak Spanish. There isn't much to this ethnicity than the fact that they all share one language, moreover, most of the Spanish speakers of the world are not "brown", they are white.

This already shows how irrelevant and how inaccurate your information is. As of now, according the Census Bureau, Cubans are the second "white" people earning the highest income in the United States, behind Jewish Americans. That said, this already dispels your whole, "Hispanic neighborhoods" idea, which was ridiculous since the beginning. The 'brown' people that you mention are most likely mestizo, a mix of European and Indian descent. In most countries, these mestizo people are low class and come to America in order to receive rights that they don't receive in their own country. However, assigning an entire race to these people is ignorant, because truly science has abolished the theory of race.

Regardless, how can you classify hispanics as a whole when most of them are white? This means that you are also degrading your race and in turn have to realize that it's not the ethnicity that creates these neighborhoods, it's the poverty that they all suffer.

Furthermore, one neighborhood does not represent the majority. Although it may seem that you have these plethora of people in these separate groups, it does not mean that the notion is widespread. I live in Florida and there are a considerable amount of ethnic groups. However, the Hispanic population here not only outsmarts but out classes the non-hispanic white population. In the senior class, positions 3-8 are Hispanics, not necassarily white though.
Sounds to me like you've got a big chip on your shoulder.

Most people use the term Hispanic - inaccurate though it may be - to broadly define Central & South Americans. It doesn't appear to me that anybody is being derogatory in their use of the term. Maybe the term Latino would be better used, but I don't think it's something to get bent out of shape over.

One time I got royally reamed out by a lady when I told her that I had helped a Mexican guy jump start his van. "It's not Mexican! It's HisPANic!" She was just appalled! I didn't bother to tell her that he had Texas license plates on his van, and a "Mexico" bumper sticker. Nor did she hear me when I said that he was a really cool guy, and that we had a nice chat before we both left...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 AM

8,842 posts, read 9,652,454 times
Most of the Asians that immigrated to the Midwest particularly Wisconsin were professionals; doctors, engineers, scientist and educators. After the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 the flood of professionals came to America to reap the capitalistic advantages of their professions. Asians and Indian Asians have been in the US to my knowledge since about 1860-1880 ( Punjab’s in the imperial Valley of California ) It is probably just as fair to wonder why white people in Appalachia don't do as well as white people in New England. Most Asian-Americans are offspring of professionals who were educated before they even came here. Yes many of them were laundry workers but they were at least allowed to own business establishments in areas that excluded African Americans who had been in the country 200 years longer. The legacy of African Americans will not be Wealth and Dynastic families, but a world power that has a civil rights record that is the marvel of the world and perhaps all of modern civilization. 1000 years from now if America is allowed to exist, African Americans will be sybolic of civil and human rights.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Sounds to me like you've got a big chip on your shoulder.

Most people use the term Hispanic - inaccurate though it may be - to broadly define Central & South Americans. It doesn't appear to me that anybody is being derogatory in their use of the term. Maybe the term Latino would be better used, but I don't think it's something to get bent out of shape over.

One time I got royally reamed out by a lady when I told her that I had helped a Mexican guy jump start his van. "It's not Mexican! It's HisPANic!" She was just appalled! I didn't bother to tell her that he had Texas license plates on his van, and a "Mexico" bumper sticker. Nor did she hear me when I said that he was a really cool guy, and that we had a nice chat before we both left...
I have close friends who do not like the term Hispanic . They say Spain took their language but their culture is Mexican.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,501,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I have close friends who do not like the term Hispanic . They say Spain took their language but their culture is Mexican.
Yep.

One of the problems is that those of us who are not of a particular culture don't know how we can refer to the people of that culture without offending somebody.

I live in a black neighborhood, in the black part of our city. I am here by choice, and I love it. So when I talk about black people I mean absolutely no disrespect whatever.

I kinda wish people weren't so darned sensitive...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:37 AM

812 posts, read 2,081,489 times
Quote:
Most of the Asians that immigrated to the Midwest particularly Wisconsin were professionals; doctors, engineers, scientist and educators. After the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 the flood of professionals came to America to reap the capitalistic advantages of their professions. Asians and Indian Asians have been in the US to my knowledge since about 1860-1880 ( Punjab’s in the imperial Valley of California ) It is probably just as fair to wonder why white people in Appalachia don't do as well as white people in New England. Most Asian-Americans are offspring of professionals who were educated before they even came here. Yes many of them were laundry workers but they were at least allowed to own business establishments in areas that excluded African Americans who had been in the country 200 years longer. The legacy of African Americans will not be Wealth and Dynastic families, but a world power that has a civil rights record that is the marvel of the world and perhaps all of modern civilization. 1000 years from now if America is allowed to exist, African Americans will be sybolic of civil and human rights.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
um, you are wrong about the asians though. 'most' were not educated or just had basic high school education. that doesn't mean they were dumb or didn't have potential. those same railroad workers for example might bel in college today but circumstances were different then.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
um, you are wrong about the asians though. 'most' were not educated or just had basic high school education. that doesn't mean they were dumb or didn't have potential. those same railroad workers for example might bel in college today but circumstances were different then.
The OP is basing his assumptions on race based on his observations around Milwaukee, I would think most of the Asians in Wisconsin immigrated fairly lately. Of course if he were to go to China Town in San Fransico or New York City he might well have another opinion all together as to how well all of them are doing.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 AM

7,685 posts, read 18,947,117 times
Quote:
The OP is basing his assumptions on race based on his observations around Milwaukee, I would think most of the Asians in Wisconsin immigrated fairly lately. Of course if he were to go to China Town in San Fransico or New York City he might well have another opinion all together as to how well all of them are doing.
Must have missed the part where I said I lived in Miami, San Diego, New Orleans, and been to NYC ton's of times since I have fam out on LI. Did I mention how close Milwaukee is to Chicago and having been going to Chicago for many years now I know the city very well. So no, not just Milwaukee.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,762,453 times
I think some people are starting to interpret comments on certain groups as stereotying. If I remember correctly one definition of the work stereotype includes "based on a seed of truth".
To say a certain group has certain qualities, skills, or peculiriaties of some sort I do not mean it is every person in that group. The truth is that as a group some people may display certain differences due to their cultural, ethnic, religious, national origin, etc. backgrounds.
Also, stereotyping can be positive and negative. If I point a certain group trait does not mean it is negative. Example: I mentioned the hispanic examples not joining the Army to better their lives by taking adavantage of the education opportunities. Some people may take that as hispanics not liking education. That is not the case. They simply are family oriented differently than other groups.
However, I do reiterate orientals seem to be more entreprenureal. Another example may be here in El Paso. When I arrived in El Paso when I was 14 the downtown area had all these businesses owned by either mostly white, Jewish, and hispanic people. I do remember hispanics complaining about hispanic business owners being greedy just as they said of the jews.
Through the years the Korean population has grown a little due to many former servicemembers marrying Korean women. Guess what? The downtown area businesses are just about totally run by Koreans in a town that is over 82% hispanic. The other day I heard a hispanic aquaintenance saying how the Koreans are so dirty and making all kinds of pu down remarks and how they now have all these downtown businesses and how rude they are, how they mistreat hispanic employees, etc. All I said to him was "It is embarrasing that in a town that is over 80% hispanic we could not keep all those businesses in our dowtown area. That may say something about us and them as to our differences"

You have a agreat day.
El Amigo

Old 05-14-2009, 12:44 PM
miu

16,521 posts, read 33,494,929 times
My dad's family immigrated from China and they were processed through Ellis Island. They were very poor and uneducated in the home country. They saw the US as the land of great opportunity. My grandmother ran a laundry service and raised five children on her own. All her kids when to college. My dad was an engineer and worked for Bell Labs.

I think that the big difference between those minorities that do "well" in the US and those that do not is whether or not they consider living in the US a great opportunity or some blight on their race's history. I love living in America and I know that it's the best place in the world for me. And I don't understand how anyone living right now is still crippled by the memories of slavery when other recent immigrants (who have suffered far worse in their lives than those born here with slave ancestors) are able to work hard and succeed in this country.

Otherwise, everyone has a different definitely of what "living well" and being a success means. For me, I don't care that I'm not a millionaire, I don't care that I don't live in a fancy mansion and drive expensive cars. I'm very happy doing work that I love and enjoy, my bills are paid, I'm surrounded by the people I love, I have my pets, as a woman I appreciate the freedom to not have children or be married to someone I don't love, my house needs work but I have a river view, I have the luxury of collecting antiques... I do consider myself a very lucky person indeed.

And that's while I have no sympathy for anyone complaining about how their ancestors were slaves. The silver lining in the situation is that they are here as a US citizen right now. And there are so many ways to get ahead when one has a good education. Even without funds, there is the internet and the public libraries full of knowledge and waiting to be accessed by them. And a person of any race is going to cripple their life chances by having kids too early, not getting a good education or indulging in substance abuse.

And I don't understand why they care about my not wanting to date or marry any of them because there are plenty of other women that would be willing to date and marry them. Who any of us finds sexually attractive is due to personal taste and choice. I underlined "marry" as I don't understand anyone having kids out of wedlock and not ever getting married. These men with baby mommas need to step up the plate and just get married to that poor woman.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,096,656 times
In my opinion, the premise of this thread is a woefully misguided missive centered upon stereotypes, and its initial assertion disregards any context from which the perception and behavior of present day blacks (in particular) originated..

It is intellectually negligent to disregard the only RECENT access to equal education (meaning multiple generations of educationally deprived denizens in this country), the resources, and funds allocated to the Civil Rights movement by the black community alone (as other races were investing their resources in enterprise, and other economically and politically lucrative ventures), in addition to the indoctrination and institutionalization of the oppression of blacks over a span of generations (Black Codes anyone?)...

And we sit back and wonder why such a chasm exists between racial minorities...It should be noted as well, that the black plight in this country, in particular, is one that occurred (and truthfully is ongoing) over the course of generations. By contrast, the hardships endured by other ethnicities are a relatively recent imposition (meaning the injustices/disparities have not become culturally ingrained in successive generations of offspring)...

But hey, why take any of this (among the panoply of additional contributing dynamics) into consideration when we can just turn to BET or VH1, make note of every street hoodlum we see, make a quick, superficial, if conciliatory assessment of minority cultures and then come to CD and anonymously blather about how one social class of a specific ethnic minorities are underachieving.

Last edited by solytaire; 05-14-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates