U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,833,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I don't know that making English the official language would accomplish much. But who knows?

Frankly though, one of the very things I love most about Omaha is its rich historic ethnic traditions.
At the very least it would send a message that the United States, while open to reasonable numbers of legal immigrants (don't we all wish), still has its own identity, and one of the ways this identity is manifested is through the English language.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember the flip side of great knowledge in healing, mass production, etc. can be perverted into mass atrocities, sorry to say.
But this doesn't change the fact that you misrepresented my argument.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
thats how i used it
"Ilk" is often used condescendingly.

So, Jcinsov - since you used "ilk" to mean "kind" - what is my ilk or kind, exactly?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,087,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
you spelled hi jinx wrong, if you want to sound like an adult at least get the sayings correct
You got me there...you certainly know all about childish high jinKS ....lol

p.s. you spelled it wrong as well...lmao check your own spelling before trying to correct mine

click here to find out that you spelled it wrong, also

have fun!

Last edited by solytaire; 09-09-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frankly; I do not want to hear about just Blacks and other non White minorities suffering at the hands of more powerful/immoral peoples------------my own family on my father's side suffered at the hands of the Soviet Army at the end of WW II. We are discussing rape for starters.

Bottom line: all races have 'jacked' one another throughout history----------just it was the luck of the draw that White people as a group devised stronger weapons hence their dominance starting 1,000 years ago. It could have just as easily been Blacks or Asians/American Indians being dominant------------with many of us White folks cryin' the blues about being mistreated.
1. ArizonaBear, I assume your family is German - or eastern European. That's because:
A) The Soviet Army went on a rampage of rape in Germany. Supposedly, the Soviet Army High Command issued orders, or at least authorized/tolerated, the Soviet troops raping women at will. Survivors testified that any female between the ages of 8 and 80 were ravished by the Soviets.
B) The Soviet Army did liberate eastern Europe from Nazi occupation, but they often treated the liberated Slavs of those countries little better than the Nazis themselves had.

I do appreciate your sentiments, but two wrongs don't make a right. And no one can honestly blame YOU as a white person in 2009 for what some evil whites did many decades or even centuries ago. But that whites did oppress non-whites, it is an undisputable fact. Besides, the Soviet atrocities you allude to was an ultimately white-on-white affair (as reprehensible as those atrocities were).

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
At the very least it would send a message that the United States, while open to reasonable numbers of legal immigrants (don't we all wish), still has its own identity, and one of the ways this identity is manifested is through the English language.
I would agree with this. Back then it was kind of known that when you came to the US, you needed to learn English. I say back then like at least 70-80 yrs ago. My great grandparents legally immigrated here to the US in the 1900's through Ellis Island from China. They knew they had to learn English in order to survive AND succeed because well...it was America. Definitely not the case today.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Right.

And there's the practical aspect too. Lack of the ability to communicate is an enormous barrier to everything - everything from business, to friendship, to you name it.

It is not at all unreasonable, nor derogatory to other languages and cultures, to expect people living in the United States to learn English. Speak whatever you want at home, but on all other levels you need to be able to speak English well enough to communicate with people outside your family.

Now... I used to live in a city that was nearly 40% Hispanic. The process by which immigrants learn English is not easy, nor is it free. It's a learning process - and while most are trying very hard to learn the language, we need to extend to them some grace and patience throughout that process. None of us could easily learn another language, after becoming adults.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
"Ilk" is often used condescendingly.

So, Jcinsov - since you used "ilk" to mean "kind" - what is my ilk or kind, exactly?
I think he already said. He's Eastern European. Slavic?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I would agree with this. Back then it was kind of known that when you came to the US, you needed to learn English. I say back then like at least 70-80 yrs ago. My great grandparents legally immigrated here to the US in the 1900's through Ellis Island from China. They knew they had to learn English in order to survive AND succeed because well...it was America. Definitely not the case today.
Out of curiosity... How long did it take your great grandparents to learn English? Did the adults who immigrated ever really learn it, or was it the kids?

Most of the immigrants I've known don't really learn it well, if they immigrate as adults. But the kids pick it up quickly - sometimes shockingly so.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right.

And there's the practical aspect too. Lack of the ability to communicate is an enormous barrier to everything - everything from business, to friendship, to you name it.

It is not at all unreasonable, nor derogatory to other languages and cultures, to expect people living in the United States to learn English. Speak whatever you want at home, but on all other levels you need to be able to speak English well enough to communicate with people outside your family.

Now... I used to live in a city that was nearly 40% Hispanic. The process by which immigrants learn English is not easy, nor is it free. It's a learning process - and while most are trying very hard to learn the language, we need to extend to them some grace and patience throughout that process. None of us could easily learn another language, after becoming adults.
Yes.

I will qualify my statement with this: I personally am more lenient towards immigrants who came as adults. Even those in their 30s and 40s seek out English classes in churches, community centers, etc., despite tight hours, jobs, and the demands of their families. And still, it's not easy. Let's not mention those who come in their 50s and 60s, mainly to be with adult immigrant children, or at least, thanks to them, and who remain in ethnic enclaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates