Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoon View Post
so if Blacks are such an affront to Whites and Asians, they have the means to do what is necessary.[/font]
You wrote an interesting post, but before I address the rest, can I ask you to explain this statement? What do you mean by "necessary?"

Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
@ Omaha: its seen when you go overseas and/or when you travel in this country, though. we're not treated the same at all. unfortunately.
maybe one day...maybe..

Old 09-09-2009, 12:45 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
@ Omaha: its seen when you go overseas and/or when you travel in this country, though. we're not treated the same at all. unfortunately.
maybe one day...maybe..
I'm not denying injustices or inequities.

I'm pointing out the fact that we simply cannot broad-brush hundreds of millions of people. It's no different than me claiming that all black people like fried chicken & watermelon.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,597 times
omaha its OKAY to broad brush whites didnt you know?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:48 PM

31 posts, read 38,169 times
in everyone's opinion what can blacks (and others/anyone) do to help make their situations better (if they arent individually in a good situation)? what in your mind can help the problem of so many being in jail or committing crimes?

i hope i didnt word that offensively.

i think my answer starts with and comes down to BABY DADDIES being around and raising the kids. there are clearly high numbers of fatherless kids and single mothers and higher rates of std's among blacks and a good number of murders and shootings and crimes are done by kids (males) 20 and under that are likely still living at home and are clearly without guidance. women and men think differently and teach differently and woman cant teach a man how to be one cuz she isnt one and men cant play the game of life without answers. i was raised by a woman and the only answer i ever got was "here's $20 for gas this week". my grades sucked and as of 15 i just hung out and drank and did drugs. i was so confused i didnt know how to ask myself the questions to even begin to find an answer to how to get by in this world. if i woulda been in the city i woulda been in a gang and beating people up for money for sure. im a musician and a lot of musicians want to say that music doesnt adversely affect kids and people well then why does every musician stop singing about murder and crime and rampant sex after they turn 33? because they grow up and realize they are sending bad messages.

so ladies close those legs and fellas only bang girls you have a real interest in. what works for me is asking myself "if i was in bed with this person 3 weeks from now and she said she was pregnant, would i run or plot to escape?" the answer is usually yes so i just play til 3rd base and then go home.

any race or sex can learn from that.

anybody else have any opinion on what blacks mexicans or anybody can do to improve their way of life or chances of success?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,597 times
i think a big improvement would be to stop blaming others for personal failures.
i always here the hip hop community invoke phrases like " being a man" "being real" but when it comes down to it, so many still refuse ANy fault for their lives.

i grew up dirt poor as the child of slavic immigrants. i ate spoiled meat and bathed and washed my clothes in a brook! but i bustedmy ass, graduated HS, joined the military and got my masters degree. Did ANYONE help me? no, did i ever consider government funding? no. am i resentful of rich people? sure, but i didnt sit around waiting for someone to give me a hand out. and neither did my parents

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
indeed, i myself am of eastern european ancestry, where should i start on the "****ed over train?"
Hungarian on my father's side here............he was born/raised over there.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMoon View Post
You are operating under the premise that Blacks as a group are complete and utter failures without taking into consideration that there is actual diversity to the relative success of Blacks historically in America. The black middle class has risen steadily since the 60’s with a sharp increase of the Black upper classes that is unprecedented. However race has played a role in diminished access to opportunities for group advancement which has not occurred until the 60’s and even then, the recession in the 70’s and slow growth in the 80’s further diminished Black American gains in wealth compared to Whites from all ethnic backgrounds who were assisted by the government through a series of programs after WWII to fund and enrich the White middle class.

Naturally, there are problems within the Black community, but that has more to do with the fact that as minorities we are consistently perceived as sub-human and unfit to be included in America other than as lapdog, cannon fodder, testosterone filled athletes, or happy dancing monkeys. This willful belief in our inherent genetic inferiority can be temporarily overlooked by the relative success of Africans and Caribbean who come from cultures in which they are the majority. The power of being a majority is that they have a breadth and diversity of rich poor, stupid, smart, beautiful and ugly within their own culture, thus they do not have to prove their humanity to Whites and other non-Blacks, since they can dip into their own cultures when Whites, etc diminish or attempt to dehumanize their existence. They can return to their home countries when push comes to shove and be embraced back with cultural solidarity and positivity of being with their own people and having positive examples that Black Americans as minorities and perceived lower life forms are not privy too. We cannot simply go back to Africa and be automatically accepted since we have no idea which tribe, which region or country our ancestors come from.

Coupled with that, Africans and Caribbean usually send their best and their brightest and even if they are poor they are often strongly motivated to succeed compared to their fellow countrymen who may choose not to migrate. Most immigrants who no matter what race have home countries as a touchstone to affirm their identity and remember their culture, therefore it makes it that much easier for them to protect themselves from racism and abuse in this country and find solidarity with those from their home countries.

Naturally, African and Caribbean success in America is paradoxical since many non-Blacks view many African and Caribbean countries as backwards, savage, filled with AIDS, genocidal playgrounds and completely uncivilized i.e. the Dark Continent, compared to White and Asian countries. So they have acquired some measure of success here in America and they may be able to find satisfaction that Whites and other non-Blacks don’t clump them in with those lazy Black Americans, however they still have to contend with a global consensus that Black run countries are inept, savage, and backward.

Therefore my original observations still stand that no matter which African descendant group stands, we are still seen as less human, and ultimately obviously a loathsome infestation to most non-Blacks. It should be quite obvious by now that I don’t believe in the myth of Black subhuman, but this thread and the real world certainly amplify the overriding belief of Black inferiority and inability to succeed. so if Blacks are such an affront to Whites and Asians, they have the means to do what is necessary.
DMoon:

What your treatise just outlined could be applied to Asians as a group also.............the reality is we (the USA) tend to receive their best and brightest individuals as well. Think about it: most Chinese in China are dirt poor.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Today, Tim Wise spoke at Kennesaw State University, my university. I listened to many of the things he had to say. I have heard him on youtube, but seeing and hearing him in person was a big thing for me. As he began speaking about many of the controversial things, such as race in America, many of the students just left the room. Tim Wise himself said he expected some people to leave because he figured many of the students were there just to fulfill an assignment, and he even had opposition from parents of the students, not so much the students themselves at first. The parents of adult students complained more than the students themselves about Tim Wise speaking at Kennesaw State. After hearing what he had to say about race in America, I wasn't at all bothered by the fact that some of the students left the room. I figured if they want to leave because Tim Wise was saying things few people want to discuss, then fine by me. Wise said that it isn't the fault of whites today that people of color are having so many problems today, but rather, the problems of today are a legacy of what was done generations ago. He compared it to having food rotting in the kitchen for 36 hours. He basically said that we may have not made the mess, but we have to clean it up, not because it is the right thing to do, but because we are the only ones left from that legacy. It starts with our generation. Okay, we have a black president, so what? There is still income and wealth disparities between the ethnicities. There are still problems today. As shown from the issue regarding Henry Louis Gates Jr. Did he yell at the police? Yes he did. Was it against the law, no way. According to the law in Massachussetts, it is not against the law to yell at a police officer. When Obama said the police behaved stupidly. Well, Wise made the argument that as a police officer you are suppose to uphold the law and to know the law. The law in Massachusetts says that yelling at a police officer is not disorderly conduct. How much more stupid can you get than arresting someone for something that isn't illegal? Basically, Tim Wise was dispelling the myth that this is a post-racial America. It isn't. There are still problems out there. I even read his book "Between Barack and a Hard Place". After reading part of the book, I found out that before the Civil Rights movement, 2/3 of the USA prison population was white. Today, 2/3 of the prison population is black. Was there suddenly a shift in who was committing the crimes? I don't think so.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM

31 posts, read 38,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
After reading part of the book, I found out that before the Civil Rights movement, 2/3 of the USA prison population was white. Today, 2/3 of the prison population is black. Was there suddenly a shift in who was committing the crimes? I don't think so.
could you explain this in more detail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates